PDA

View Full Version : KOF XII /Samurai Showdown (3D)/ Maximum Impact:Regulation A- adios AW - hello Type x2

DevilRedeemed
09-14-2006, 01:29 AM
http://www.neo-arcadia.com/News/voir_news.php?action=voirtout

alec
09-14-2006, 02:10 AM
cool/ cool/ cool/ goodbye/ hello.

thanks for the link

edit: btw, who is that kissing in your sig? Is that a man and a woman; a woman and a woman; or a man and a man?

edit again: Crikey! SvG on PSP!?!?!? If I had not just sold mine I would have been all over that!

BTW devilredeemed, a bit off subject, but do you still have that Tatsujin Oh board for sale? I know it was up a while ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if its gone or no longer for sale. I'm gonna pick up a vertical cab in a couple days or so, and I'm gonna need a game, Truxton on Genesis is one of my all time favs, the sequel ROCKs too, at least that what MAMe tells me. Thanks dude.

Jimminy
09-14-2006, 02:18 AM
What does it transate into english?

Blue Steel
09-14-2006, 02:21 AM
What does it transate into english?
3 new SNK games on Taito Type-X2 hardware: Samurai Spirits 3D?, KOF XII, KOF MI Alternative.

Moose
09-14-2006, 02:22 AM
yeah, i thought that SvG on PSP was pretty cool too. Seems the PSP gets a lot of sleeper hits. Look at Astonishia Story from the GP32.

Cant wait to see what comes of the new system, just sad to see the Atomiswave go out like a lost old man.

Granted, Extreme Hunting 2 ISNT that bad. Pretty Fun actually.

Jimminy
09-14-2006, 02:25 AM
is the Taito Type 2-X hardware expensive???

Moose
09-14-2006, 02:29 AM
holy splooge.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_gold/amiami/main/HOB-FIG-4335.jpg

Blue Steel
09-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Your guess is as good as mine. I'm gonna go out on a limb here though, and say yeah probably just as much if not more than atomiswave hardware.

alec
09-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Is Type X2 even out yet? I was under the impression that the most current was Type X. Sorry if this question sounds silly to some.

@moose- yeah, I thought that was a cool Statue as well, I especially like the back shot.

-Hibikster-
09-14-2006, 02:40 AM
YouTubed all three vids for those who couldn't see them off the site:

KOF MI Alternative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHDXbPce0fw

KOF XII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-W4CTcK7s

Sam Sho 3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OMqo9WNGN4

Tung Fu ru
09-14-2006, 02:55 AM
those vids look cooler than the AW games.

Opening video for SS3D was pretty impressive, hopefully they do a good job on the game.

KOF vid looked sweet, pretty fast gameplay it looked like. I might have to check out that one,

Stifu
09-14-2006, 03:17 AM
I hope that 3D SS game doesn't mean no more 2D ones...
3 games announced, 2 of them in 3D... SNKP is slowly getting away from 2D, but will most likely keep on making a few 2D games for the little market there is for it...

And if the prices of the 2 Taito Type X games at coinop are anything to go by, I clearly won't be getting a Taito Type X2.

-Hibikster-
09-14-2006, 06:23 AM
Some KOF XII and Type-X2 Information in Japanese:

http://ga.sbcr.jp/news/0609/44/index.html

Can someone translate this?

JHendrix
09-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Hey maybe the graphics in KOFXII won't suck now that it's on a new platform.

And it's completely PC based, nice. A PC release would be awesome, even if it just came out in Japan you could just import and install and there are a ton of good joysticks that work on PC.

-Hibikster-
09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
And it's completely PC based, nice.

If the Type-X2 its based on the Type-X in terms of hardware engineering, then you're absolutely right.

Here are some specs for Type-X:

CPU : Celeron 2.5Ghz (upgradable to Pentium 4 2.8GHz)
FSB : 400MHz (Upgradable to 800MHz)
Chipset : Intel 865G
Memory : DDR266 DIMM 256MB (upgradable to DDR400 2GB)
Graphics Board : AGP Radeon 9200SE (128 MB) through to X800XT (256 MB) (complete ATI Radeon Range)
Audio : AC97 onboard 6 channel audio CODEC
Lan : On-board 10/100Base-TX
USB : 4ch (ver 1.1 & 2.0 compatible)
Parallel port : 1 port
PS/2 port : keyboard, mouse
PCI : 2 slots
IDE : 2ch U-DMA(100/66/33)
Serial ATA : 2ch
Audio inputs : Microphone (stereo pin-jack), line-in (stereo pin-jack)
Audio outputs : line-out (stereo pin-jack), SPDI/F
Power : ATX AC 100v

Source: http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=677

neojedi
09-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Seeing the new hardware choice is interesting, but I don't see anything exciting about these titles. I guess I wanted another surprise this time around... Garou sequel, Last Blade sequel, even AOF or Fuun or something. Samurai Shodown in 3D is intriguing for non-Hyper owners, but I think that the success of a 3D SS will depend on artistry, blood, and the series' trademark dark mood even more than a 2D SS would. SNKP's recent trend of avoiding anything risky/offensive could hurt them on that game.

Maybe the home port of SS 3D will have the Hyper games as unlockables. (Don't I wish! Falcoon: "Dude, where's my romz?")

hanafuda
09-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Is there actual game footage of KOF XII?

Edit:

No, there clearly isn't any yet.

Ghost-Dog
09-14-2006, 08:25 AM
I guess there's really no reason to buy Atomiswave now (for me). They've ported all the titles to PS2 and they can be had much cheaper, and they're pretty good ports from what I've heard.

This X-2 hardware is interesting though. The thing looks like a standard PC from the shot of the back. Embedded Windows XP? Core 2 Duo? Should be easy to port these games to PC. It probably won't be long before a NG.com big tymer has one of these in a cab at home. :chimp:

Fran
09-14-2006, 08:26 AM

the "graphics" in kof never sucked :rolleyes:

it certainly didn't suck in kof XI

but i don't feel like discussing on this matter for the 523th time

dakingofzumunda
09-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Can't wait to see screens of KoF XII in action. Hopefully, it plays just as good as the last incarnation.

DevilRedeemed
09-14-2006, 09:07 AM

my sentiments exactly. lol at the thought that new hardware will bring vastly superior graphics. they are slowly winding down 2D operations, not likely to spend big bucks on this game.

the move to the Taito system is just to keep up with current hardware - so ports work on next gen system. it's to stay relevant.

thatdemoguy
09-14-2006, 09:35 AM
I can only hope for the best out of these games, even though the KoF XII logo was kinda boring. Maybe when some screens are shown I can get more excited. SamSho has great potential if its presented right and its not all clean like the past game....and MI:A, well I was hoping to see another new character OTHER than Ash. Im not being cynical, just want something more.

O.

eek
09-14-2006, 10:20 AM
There are pics of Taito's new cab Vewlix. Widescreen lcd cab. Looks interesting.

And it looks like the X2 runs on Core 2 Duo.

Stifu
09-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Who wants to bet this new SS 3D won't have blood ? Let's not summon Abster, though.

Anyway, as for the graphics of KoF... Sure, they don't suck if you're still satisfied with graphics from the 90s, but if you put KoF XI next to Hokuto no Ken... you wouldn't think they run on the same hardware, or even got released the same year.

Abster
09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Too late.

Blue Steel
09-14-2006, 12:38 PM
the KoF XII logo was kinda boring.I like how it looks like the 2001 logo and they added ash's green energy swish onto it.

billd420
09-14-2006, 01:19 PM

You're lookin at $2400+ for the MOBO. That doesn't include the games (oh hard disk) or the I/O.

-B

Hakkai
09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
The KOFXII logo looks rather plain, maybe they'll change it when the game gets toward the end of its development phase. I kinda thought the SS3D trailer was a neat rendition of the first Samurai Spirits' intro.

Spike Spiegel
09-14-2006, 01:31 PM

LOL, I lost some of my gaming friends that used to play me in KOF because the... ahem, graphics sucked. Sorry, you're a loving father to his child. The graphics have been shitty for years, I'm sorry to say.

roker
09-14-2006, 01:41 PM
LOL, I lost some of my gaming friends that used to play me in KOF because the... ahem, graphics sucked. Sorry, you're a loving father to his child. The graphics have been shitty for years, I'm sorry to say.

oh no

jhendrix opened up a can of worms

I think its not that the graphics look bad

but the fact that it's archaic

if they high rezzed it, it'd be fine

really

OrochiEddie
09-14-2006, 01:44 PM
fuck all that
INITIAL D VER 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My brain exploded a little

taitai
09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
fuck all that
INITIAL D VER 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My brain exploded a little

AGREED.

FINALLY! NEW INITIAL D.

OrochiEddie
09-14-2006, 02:03 PM
AGREED.

FINALLY! NEW INITIAL D.
Looked around this is all I could find

Sega is working on a new version of its hit arcade racing game Initial D: Arcade Stage, the game will run on the Lindbergh board. Test machines have been placed at some arcades in Japan.

The card and reader are different, probably due to Sega's loss of rights to the previous card reader. The placement of the reader is also changed.

The shifter has been moved to a lower position similar to the Battle Gear series arcade machines. A different steering wheel is used.

An Online multiplayer function will be added and a new beginner map called Akina lake will be added.

The new cabinet also includes a wide screen.

Considering volume 33 has Keisuke and Takumi racing against an evo7 and a mazda roadster. I'm doubting new cars, which really sucks. the one thing that is bugging me about D is that lack of variety. I was hoping Supra, VR4, 300Z, hell maybe a BMW Merc, or VW as well. Though if new courses are in order it doesn't matter.

ferrarimanf355
09-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Looked around this is all I could find

Sega is working on a new version of its hit arcade racing game Initial D: Arcade Stage, the game will run on the Lindbergh board. Test machines have been placed at some arcades in Japan.

The card and reader are different, probably due to Sega's loss of rights to the previous card reader. The placement of the reader is also changed.

The shifter has been moved to a lower position similar to the Battle Gear series arcade machines. A different steering wheel is used.

An Online multiplayer function will be added and a new beginner map called Akina lake will be added.

The new cabinet also includes a wide screen.

Considering volume 33 has Keisuke and Takumi racing against an evo7 and a mazda roadster. I'm doubting new cars, which really sucks. the one thing that is bugging me about D is that lack of variety. I was hoping Supra, VR4, 300Z, hell maybe a BMW Merc, or VW as well. Though if new courses are in order it doesn't matter.
Pic of the cab please? :drool_2:

DevilRedeemed
09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
if they high rezzed it, it'd be fine

really
oi, Roker
NO!!!!

gamejunkie
09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I think the big news here is that Fist of the Northstar is getting ported!

jeff bogard
09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Nice, Looking FWD to it.

I wonder if ports will be hard at all to make for consoles. I wonder if we'll see these titles on the 360 in the future....

Other than that, Spectral vs Generation, who has it?

ferrarimanf355
09-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Nice, Looking FWD to it.

I wonder if ports will be hard at all to make for consoles. I wonder if we'll see these titles on the 360 in the future....
Considering that the Type X-2 uses an ATI video card, and that the X360 uses an ATI video card, I'd wager that these babies might be ported to the X360 sooner rather than later... :buttrock:

jeff bogard
09-14-2006, 05:17 PM
The PS3 is still based on Linux, right? Hopefully it'll come out for 360...

Mark of the Wolves
09-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Who keeps buying those fucking Maximum Impact games? I COMMAND YOU TO STOP!

DevilRedeemed
09-14-2006, 07:05 PM
cool/ cool/ cool/ goodbye/ hello.

thanks for the link

edit: btw, who is that kissing in your sig? Is that a man and a woman; a woman and a woman; or a man and a man?

edit again: Crikey! SvG on PSP!?!?!? If I had not just sold mine I would have been all over that!

BTW devilredeemed, a bit off subject, but do you still have that Tatsujin Oh board for sale? I know it was up a while ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if its gone or no longer for sale. I'm gonna pick up a vertical cab in a couple days or so, and I'm gonna need a game, Truxton on Genesis is one of my all time favs, the sequel ROCKs too, at least that what MAMe tells me. Thanks dude.
did not notice said questions until just now - in my sig that be boy/boy or boy/girl - it's ment to be ambiguous I think. that album is just the best.
as for Tatsujin Oh, it's currently on hold but may come off hold soon.

Type-X2 seems geared to compete with the Limbergh - is Halo 2 on that system? or is it on the original Type-X? and can Type-X2 play Type-X games too like Naomi/Naomi 2?

Fygee
09-15-2006, 05:59 AM

And it's completely PC based, nice. A PC release would be awesome, even if it just came out in Japan you could just import and install and there are a ton of good joysticks that work on PC.

That makes me wonder if piracy is going to be a big issue.

Dash no Chris
09-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Where did neo-arcadia.com get the idea that the "A" stands for "Alternative?". The video and the Japanese site -Hibikster- linked to both indicate that the title is: KOF Maximum Impact: Regulation "A" -- GA Graphic states that the "A" not only refers to this being an Arcade release, but that it also marks the MI debut of Ash (and points out the use of Ash's green flames in the title logo).

--Chris

Domino-chan
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Who keeps buying those fucking Maximum Impact games? I COMMAND YOU TO STOP!

HELL NO! :P

I liked MI2 and I plan to buy it when it comes out in the US. It's miles better than the first one anyways.

On topic: the samspi looks awesome to say the least.

OrochiEddie
09-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Pic of the cab please? :drool_2:
click the link in the first post.
Ash in the arcade MI? Very amazing, I thought he was going to be in MI2 hell he was in the video clips, but he made it out eventually.

Diavle18
09-15-2006, 09:41 AM
my sentiments exactly. and people who dont think kof looks fucking ugly need to take the shit outta theyre eyes, wake the fuck up. kof looked good back i 95, 96 they improved it a lil. till 98/99 we get some new animations and shit but still the same ugly dated graphics. in case people forgot sf3 came out a long time ago. back then in 98 people where demanding new graphics, better animation and larger sprites. in 99 we still aint got shit new. like that aint all that bad now people on these boeards are claiming to like the sprites and just accept that fucked up shit. its time for something new fuckers. its 2006, it should at least look as good as sf3, at least. its time we demanded some new shit man, im tired of these small crippled graphics.

I'll take the gritty KOF look over the generic SF3 anime look anyday of the week.

KOF characters have miles better animation (look beyond frames per second)

As long as SNK pumps out masterpieces like Oswald I'll be more than happy.

GeoStigma
09-15-2006, 10:11 AM

I liked MI2 and I plan to buy it when it comes out in the US. It's miles better than the first one anyways.

At least someone agrees on this.

The graphics for MI2 are slightly improved and the gameplay is a hell of alot better. By the 3rd rendition of the series we might have a pretty decent fighter here. At least SNK is putting some effort into the MI series, as opposed to past projects (i.e. Metal Slug 3D).

As for XII, kinda looking forward to it. Seeing as how I got XI about 1-2 months ago its really to early for me to care.

Stifu
09-15-2006, 10:22 AM
I'll take the gritty KOF look over the generic SF3 anime look anyday of the week.

Where to look then ?
The animation in KoF is very uneven, partly because some frames have been drawn recently while others are several years old... It shows they put efforts in some animations, and it shows they didn't put any in others... (On a side note, Whip's pixeled whip animations are still horrid...)

SF3 animation > KoF animation, no matter how you look at it. End of derailing on my end.

CyberAkuma
09-15-2006, 10:31 AM
KOF: MI2 A looks good, and I'm sure XII will be fine as well.

But honestly, the title that I most want to believe in at the moment is SS3D. The short time that I got to spend with Ashura's Armada got me to believe that a 3D SS game can be a thing of beauty. If this new game ain't a remake of that one, then it sure needs to just pick up where it left off. The only I perhaps question is that while the 3D CG Haohmaru looks quite good, like some people on other message boards have said...I was personally hoping for something like an "Ookami" type of graphic style. It just seems like that look would go hand in hand with a game like this. And not to channel any type of Abster-sentiments, but I do think it would be nice to lop off arms like in that game. :kekeke:

Also, I have to side with the guy who said that this may be a sign that SNKP may be slowly but surely drawing the curtain on their 2D stuff. While the old school fan in mean may cry a few bitter tears, perhaps it's just for the best in order to keep the party going. And as long as the 3D stuff can be both fun, in-depth, and carry the overall spirit of why we love SNK stuff in the first place, it'll be gravy, I would think. Plus, investing in 3D projects like this has to be much more cost-effective on SNKP's end, rather than for 2D oriented ones, right?

Heh...now if only I could a uber, 3D follow-up/sequel to Kizuna Encounter...:D

Diavle18
09-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Where to look then ?
The animation in KoF is very uneven, partly because some frames have been drawn recently while others are several years old... It shows they put efforts in some animations, and it shows they didn't put any in others... (On a side note, Whip's pixeled whip animations are still horrid...)

SF3 animation > KoF animation, no matter how you look at it. End of derailing on my end.

It doesn't matter if you animate on 1s, 2s or 8s as long as your key frames are strong.

KOF's animation gives/reinforces the characters' personalities, take a look at K9999's sly walk cycles as an example, it oozes with style and character.

GeoStigma
09-15-2006, 10:48 AM
and thats 1 character, what about fuck upr like hinako and momoko and what other bullshit theyve put in.

Ah, Momoko, the only problem I have with XI. Hardly any animation to her and useless in general.

Diavle18
09-15-2006, 10:51 AM
exactly, i dont what kof your playing diavle but it must be one in your dreams? do you really think the graphics and animation have imrpoved since 96, no. they still use the same old ugly sprites since 94 but adjusted. it can keep its gritty look or turn into anime look doesnt matter. wat it should do is get bigger sprites and better animation. and look better. besides youre talking about oswald, the only decent (actually pretty dman cool) snk design that also looked decent in the game in since what 5 years? and thats 1 character, what about fuck upr like hinako and momoko and what other bullshit theyve put in.

K
K49
Angel
Ramon
Vanessa
Gai
Robert
Shen
Kim
... and more

Momoko badly animated? Are you kidding? If you don't like the character thats fine but to say she's badly animated is BS. Look at her walk and run cycles, the way she does her down kick and how good the key frames are on her Cappoera (sp?) moves are. Full of personality.

It seems your idea of good animation is a high frame-rate.

SonGohan
09-15-2006, 12:34 PM

As long as SNK pumps out masterpieces like Oswald I'll be more than happy.

Sorry, but this is where I disagree. You can prefer the gritty look, but saying the animation is better is just not right. I know exactly where you're getting at when you tell people to look at the personality and such, however SF3 is a hell of a lot more consistant in their animation. Nevermind the high amount of frames, but when you begin to take apart each frame, some of the KOF stuff is just embarrassing. Especially when they've added and taken away frames over the years it just looks severely unpolished. Hell, sometimes the head changes whenever they walk, do moves, etc and it's just sort of comical.

Now amount of frames aside, SF3 is just better animated. I agree that it lacks the style that KOF has, but it has consistency and it flows much, much better. I would dream of a KOF that's animated consistantly well overall. It doesn't even have to be high resolution.

Mark of the Wolves
09-15-2006, 01:02 PM

On topic: the samspi looks awesome to say the least.

At least someone agrees on this.

The graphics for MI2 are slightly improved and the gameplay is a hell of alot better. By the 3rd rendition of the series we might have a pretty decent fighter here. At least SNK is putting some effort into the MI series, as opposed to past projects (i.e. Metal Slug 3D).

As for XII, kinda looking forward to it. Seeing as how I got XI about 1-2 months ago its really to early for me to care.

:very_ang: :blow_top: :mad_2: :mad:

Diavle18
09-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Sorry, but this is where I disagree. You can prefer the gritty look, but saying the animation is better is just not right. I know exactly where you're getting at when you tell people to look at the personality and such, however SF3 is a hell of a lot more consistant in their animation. Nevermind the high amount of frames, but when you begin to take apart each frame, some of the KOF stuff is just embarrassing. Especially when they've added and taken away frames over the years it just looks severely unpolished. Hell, sometimes the head changes whenever they walk, do moves, etc and it's just sort of comical.

Now amount of frames aside, SF3 is just better animated. I agree that it lacks the style that KOF has, but it has consistency and it flows much, much better. I would dream of a KOF that's animated consistantly well overall. It doesn't even have to be high resolution.

I was talking about specific frames/animations as mere examples, the overall effect is what matters more.

Take Ryu or Ken for example, well animated? Yes. Does their animation tell you much about them as characters? Not in the slightest. This is the point I'm making.

SonGohan
09-15-2006, 02:46 PM
I was talking about specific frames/animations as mere examples, the overall effect is what matters more.

Take Ryu or Ken for example, well animated? Yes. Does their animation tell you much about them as characters? Not in the slightest. This is the point I'm making.

That's not animation then, that's overall style, which I already admit KOF has way more than SF3. You're talking about what they do, not how they do it. Like for insance, Iori has a lot of in-game personality, such as laughing hysterically when he wins, or screaming bloody murder on his SDMs as he shred's apart the opponent. You know he's psycho.

You're right about SF3, though. It really does lack personality, except for characters such as maybe Remy.

hermegildo
09-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Hah.

No.

You're talking about character animation or acting in which case, yes, KOF (or SNK sprites in general) express more character than 3rd Strike.

Arguably.

In terms of pure animation technique, 3rd Strike wins easily.

DevilRedeemed
09-15-2006, 04:01 PM
You're right about SF3, though. It really does lack personality, except for characters such as maybe Remy.
Twelve and Q I feel have alot going for them stylistically. Hugo too. but that's me being a Fial Fight nut. Necro is cool too.

SonGohan
09-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Twelve and Q I feel have alot going for them stylistically. Hugo too. but that's me being a Fial Fight nut. Necro is cool too.

What he's talking about is the fact that there's no personality present in the game. Like I said, you know Iori is crazy even if you don't know the storyline just because of how he acts in the actual game. You know Kyo is cocky. You know Shingo is a complete goofball.

Now you take Third Strike. What does Hugo do that gives you any sort of clue to his character? Q and Remy pretty much are the only characters that have glaring personalities, and the things they do are pretty much restricted to win poses. The characters just lack depth, and I think that's what Diavle was trying to get across. Gameplay? That's all taste, but the actual characters are pretty hollow, but that's sort of a stupid thing to say in fighters anyway.

Stifu
09-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Now you take Third Strike. What does Hugo do that gives you any sort of clue to his character?
Stupid + violent ?

Amano Jacu
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Dudley looks extremely cool and charismatic to me.

DevilRedeemed
09-15-2006, 05:59 PM
What he's talking about is the fact that there's no personality present in the game. Like I said, you know Iori is crazy even if you don't know the storyline just because of how he acts in the actual game. You know Kyo is cocky. You know Shingo is a complete goofball.

Now you take Third Strike. What does Hugo do that gives you any sort of clue to his character? Q and Remy pretty much are the only characters that have glaring personalities, and the things they do are pretty much restricted to win poses. The characters just lack depth, and I think that's what Diavle was trying to get across. Gameplay? That's all taste, but the actual characters are pretty hollow, but that's sort of a stupid thing to say in fighters anyway.
right. it's true, but then SNK have always been alot more dynamic in brining out the personalities of their characters in fighters. I've always felt that SF characters have lacked standard arcade appeal. in fact when SF2 came out I personally felt it was un-arcade like, and this was down to the high learning curve and lack of charisma. SF1 and Alpha 1 are a different story by and large.

Q is one of the most awesome looking characters in a fighting game though. just genius.

SonGohan
09-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Stupid + violent ?

What's so stupid about him? Violent? It's a fighter. The only thing that you can really summarize from playing the game with him is that he's a wrestler.

DevilRedeemed
09-15-2006, 06:29 PM
What's so stupid about him? Violent? It's a fighter. The only thing that you can really summarize from playing the game with him is that he's a wrestler.
well he gets alot out of being an old tymer crossover character. he has a past that Capcom afficcionados can appreciate first hand. he wasn't ever in Muscle Bomber was he?

SonGohan
09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
well he gets alot out of being an old tymer crossover character. he has a past that Capcom afficcionados can appreciate first hand. he wasn't ever in Muscle Bomber was he?

It's hard to make myself clear. Yes, I know who Hugo is. I completely understand Hugo, Poison, and the whole connection with Final Fight.

Why?

Because I've played Final Fight. We are talking about characteristics that put a personality on him that are present in the game, wherein Hugo has none.

DevilRedeemed
09-15-2006, 08:47 PM
It's hard to make myself clear. Yes, I know who Hugo is. I completely understand Hugo, Poison, and the whole connection with Final Fight.

Why?

Because I've played Final Fight. We are talking about characteristics that put a personality on him that are present in the game, wherein Hugo has none.
no, I do understand what you mean - there's nothing in his design that is distinctively interesting - outside of the Capcom legacy - purely in terms of his presence in SFIII, he lacks the qualities which make a character instantly distinguishable. I'm supposing that's what you mean (lol. I'm just repeating what you already said).

I personally don't agree - the way his features are drawn and how his behaviour is so exaggerated, he comes off a freak of nature - maybe that's just me. he's a beast that physically towers over the rest of the cast and is as slow and powerful as he looks. in fact Hugo of all characters I find exudes personality. there's something kind of sad about him, where the other characters are either cheery or just poised and determined to get the job done.

roker
09-15-2006, 10:02 PM
oi, Roker
NO!!!!

those sprites look great to me and you

but we have to get with the times

people of today want eye candy

:cool:

bokmeow
09-15-2006, 11:13 PM
That KOFXII logo looks to be preliminary, it's basically an amalgam of KOF97 and KOF2k1 :emb:

And I third Fran's opinion. KOF sprites always had that gritty feel with the particle effects, literally.

Jedah Doma
09-15-2006, 11:29 PM
That Outrun 2 SP arcade cab made my sechs fall out.

Stifu
09-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Stupid: his face, eyes, and how he moves his head and all, makes him look quite stupid to me... Also, the fact he has Poison for a brain substitute tells you much, granted that's not a direct character trait.
And feel free to replace violent by wild...

thatdemoguy
09-16-2006, 10:08 PM
I have to agree that the KoF characters just exude tons more personality than the SF characters. Ive said it time and time again. The Capcom games have the animation, but the SNK games have the personality. And I personally dont like the way Capcom denotes a "joke" character. Look at how Blanka's eyes pop out when hes hit, or Balrog's (M. Bison) for that matter. Last I checked Balrog wasnt supposed to be goofy, nor is Dee Jay, but they have goofy ass animations. Now look at the SNK side. They have goof characters, look at Shingo, look at Kensou, look at Joe. They are goofy characters but they are shown to be goofy in the way they move and act (Joe pulling down his pants, Shingo's clumsiness) rather than with stupid eye popping animations and stuff. Other examples of SNK personality.

Clark's wrist relax
Ralf's bounce in his idle stance
Andy's relax in idle
Shermie's taunt
Robert's special animations

And thats only a few. I could go down virtually the entire roster and explain something that character does that tells you who they are without even having to play the game.

But in the end its like this

Animation: Capcom
Personality: SNK

Now do we have to have this convo again?

O.

LoneSage
09-16-2006, 10:26 PM
I think it's pretty arrogant to present opinion as fact.
Perhaps KOF does have more personality in its characters, but the Alpha characters have a ton of soul as well. And to write off SF3 as devoid of personality just seems kind of fanboy-ish...
SNK and Cap just have completely different styles presented in the graphics of their games, and I appreciate the way they approach to open up their characters.

Stifu
09-17-2006, 04:38 AM
Last I checked Balrog wasnt supposed to be goofy
He wasn't in SF2, but he kinda was in the animated movie... And as we all know, SFA character designs are heavily inspired from the animated movie...

SEIJUROU
09-17-2006, 03:57 PM
i saw the videos today and i´m impresed with the samsho video, i wanna see this game soon because the tenka don´t like so much, for now the best samsho is the samurai shodown 2 :buttrock:

Sopitas
09-17-2006, 09:39 PM
SNK is slowly updating all characters' spritesets each year. Iori got a facelift in XI, Eiji as well, Ramon got some new frames, Maxima and K' got a nice amount, and *gasp* Ryo got a nice bundle as well (even a new standing A, now all I need is a new crouching sprite, and a new crouching D and I'll be über happy), Vanessa got new stuff as well, Kim had his walking anims redrawn, as well as a new command attack, and we could go all day like this. It's not really SNK's fault to have not updated it sooner, but as all we knew, the piracy around their gamebase didn't allow them to. The fewer the sales the fewer $ to make games. It's simple as that.

jeff bogard
09-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Now that KoF is coming out on Taito's Platform.

I wonder if we'll see SquareEnix Logo somewhere in KoF XII's intro screen...

derboo
09-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Is Taito associated with SquareEnix?

SNK is slowly updating all characters' spritesets each year. Iori got a facelift in XI, Eiji as well, Ramon got some new frames, Maxima and K' got a nice amount, and *gasp* Ryo got a nice bundle as well (even a new standing A, now all I need is a new crouching sprite, and a new crouching D and I'll be über happy), Vanessa got new stuff as well, Kim had his walking anims redrawn, as well as a new command attack, and we could go all day like this..

Well, I think, thats the worst part of it. Like in 2003, for Kim they only updated the standing animation, so seeing him standing and than walking or the other way round felled like having a character that was just quickly pasted together from different sprites. It looked terribly disturbing. This was the same with Yuri.
I would even prefer them to redo about 3-5 sprites completely and leave the other ones untouched, so at least character-internally it would look like it belongs together. KoF 2003 LOOKED like a poor MUGEN Mod. XI got far better, but theres still a long way to go to look consistently.

-Hibikster-
09-18-2006, 01:25 AM

A little extreme, but, I swear, if I see a single KOF character start dressing like Kingdom Hearts characters I'm dropping the KOF scene forever.

Hakkai
09-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Is Taito associated with SquareEnix?

Taito has been a subsidiary of Square-Enix since at least the end of last year.

Since they've opted to keep the Taito name, I doubt there will be a the visible logo. Maybe a fine print reference.

YeldellGW
09-18-2006, 11:07 AM
people of today want eye candy

Sad, but true.

Think I'll pull a Cranky Kong and go play the original Donkey Kong.

Stifu
09-19-2006, 03:33 PM
I like eye candy, but consistancy matters more to me. Many NES or Mega Drive games still look great to me, not because they're eye candy for today's standards, but because graphics fit nicely together, and keep the same style from the start to the end.

It's not really SNK's fault to have not updated it sooner, but as all we knew, the piracy around their gamebase didn't allow them to. The fewer the sales the fewer $ to make games. It's simple as that.
I really don't get your point. I can't see how updating graphics and piracy are directly related.

-Hibikster-
09-19-2006, 11:37 PM
I like eye candy, but consistancy matters more to me. Many NES or Mega Drive games still look great to me, not because they're eye candy for today's standards, but because graphics fit nicely together, and keep the same style from the start to the end.

I really don't get your point. I can't see how updating graphics and piracy are directly related.

Rehashing sprites = Cheaper

Creating new sprites = more development = Expensive

Piracy = less profit.

Therefore, putting less effort into development means they wont lose as much money.

Stifu
09-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Therefore, putting less effort into development means they wont lose as much money.
Which is true regardless of whether there is piracy or not.
Anyway, it's been a little while piracy is no longer a problem, so that doesn't explain why they didn't update the sprites on the Atomiswave... I guess they just know their games will sell no matter what, so they're satisfied with things as is, rather than taking the risk to invest times and money in new stuff...

-Hibikster-
09-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Which is true regardless of whether there is piracy or not.
Anyway, it's been a little while piracy is no longer a problem, so that doesn't explain why they didn't update the sprites on the Atomiswave... I guess they just know their games will sell no matter what, so they're satisfied with things as is, rather than taking the risk to invest times and money in new stuff...

That could be the reason, but it could also be that they knew that they wont be with atomiswave for very long so they didn't bother drastically updating the sprites on that medium either. Now that they're switching to Type-X2 in what seems to be a longer relationship than the Atomiswave, that may change things.

Having said that, MMCafe says the SNK spokesman said they moved to the new board because they wanted to nake new sprites. Lets hope this is true.

I totally missed it then, but when asked why they were moving to Type X 2 for KOF XII, the SNK spokeman answered it was because lots of fans were tired of the same old sprites and they wanted to make everything more pretty to make the jump to the next-gen.

GeoStigma
09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Having said that, MMCafe says the SNK spokesman said they moved to the new board because they wanted to nake new sprites. Lets hope this is true.

I'm hoping that this is true, but I'll believe it when I see it.

lachlan
09-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm really excited about these new games, can't wait for some KOFXII screens.
Hopefully SNKP will make MOTW2 on this hardware.

They could've made new sprites on the AW, I'm optimistic about that statement on making new sprites but this new hardware won't change what their 2D games will look like.
the AW was more than capable in that department.

I wonder what kind of price tag they'll slap on the Type X2.

GeoStigma
09-20-2006, 10:17 AM

They could've made new sprites on the AW, I'm optimistic about that statement on making new sprites but this new hardware won't change what their 2D games will look like.

Pretty sure someone on here said that the mobo alone is $2,000 roughly. So yeah, outrageous.

Hakkai
09-20-2006, 01:00 PM

I was also wondering if this is MOTW2 was going to be released for this. Anyway, If its like any new arcade game out there you'll probably be looking at well over a $1000 for each game.

taitai
09-21-2006, 10:50 AM
can anyone with experience with Taito TypeX hardware tell me if I can just plug the USB security dongle in, plug the hdd in, and will it work on normal non-spec TypeX PC hardware?

matsukaze
09-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Not to demean high-res, but no one seems to understand the beauty of old-school 2-D graphics anymore. Part of what makes those old games so beautiful is seeing what can be done with very limited graphic capabilities. Consider the character's faces in SS2. It's amazing to see how much character can be squeezed out of just a few rough pixels. I always thought neo-geo.com had a lot of people who understood this. This was a haven of old-school appreciation. Sad, really. I guess times have changed.

Matsukaze

P.S. Jeff Bogard seems to get it. Take a look at his sig pic.

roker
09-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Not to demean high-res, but no one seems to understand the beauty of old-school 2-D graphics anymore. Part of what makes those old games so beautiful is seeing what can be done with very limited graphic capabilities. Consider the character's faces in SS2. It's amazing to see how much character can be squeezed out of just a few rough pixels. I always thought neo-geo.com had a lot of people who understood this. This was a haven of old-school appreciation. Sad, really. I guess times have changed.

Matsukaze

P.S. Jeff Bogard seems to get it. Take a look at his sig pic.

I'll never look down on low-res MVS goodness

it's just time to move on

DevilRedeemed
09-27-2006, 09:37 AM
actually I don't agree. high rez is low priority in my book. an overhaul of the graphical presentation is far more significant.

I really think people make baseless presumptions when it comes announcements such as these.

the reason for SNKPs change of heart is to do with the increasing adoption of high def setups both at the arcades and at home - they don't want their stuff to look below par - probably just barely on par.

truth be told, what they did with old 2D graphics was a wonder as has just been stated, whereas what is now proposed may end up being conveyor belt generic stuff. do Arc Systems have a hand in making KOF XII?

what will always win out is style - it doesn't matter what point of history you're at.

that's why 60s R'nB is greater than modern R'nB
that's why Hitchcock movies are greater than any modern thriller
and why games on older or inferior hardware from a technical point of view can outdo the flashy technically competent games of today.
it's all down to points of view ofcourse, but running with this just because it's new and hi rez is a mistake I think. people are too swept up in thinking that new must mean better necessarily. truth is KOF 98>Neowave

if they found a lost album of one of the great musicians of the past, and they released it - wouldn't the music be as genius and relevant today as it was back when it was being made?
in the same way as - if the team behind Last Blade took on the Neo Geo to produce a game - as improbable as this is - how would people feel?
there has to be soul. especially in this day and age - especially with something as rare as 2D arcade gaming.

sorry for the rant. need coffee. now.

Shito
09-27-2006, 10:30 AM

You are right, fair and simple.

If you ask me, bitmap graphix exist as long as pixel are visible. Bitmap is pixel art. If pixel are not visible, it's not bitmap, it's just digital art, be it fully hand-drawn and then digitalized or created partly with digital tools.

Bitmap magic is about to see what you can create with pixels.

When I was a young boy, I used to spent hours in elementary school just by coloring with my pen some squares on my chekered sheet and trying to create something recognizable enough of any idea in my mind.

Add detail, that's ok. Make pixel smaller, that's ok.

Make the pixel un-visibile, that's no more pixel art, say bitmap, to me.

Hi.res bitmap games just looks like dull interactive anime show always using same animations. I mean, they look like shit as a videogame to me.

roker
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
actually I don't agree. high rez is low priority in my book. an overhaul of the graphical presentation is far more significant.

I really think people make baseless presumptions when it comes announcements such as these.

the reason for SNKPs change of heart is to do with the increasing adoption of high def setups both at the arcades and at home - they don't want their stuff to look below par - probably just barely on par.

truth be told, what they did with old 2D graphics was a wonder as has just been stated, whereas what is now proposed may end up being conveyor belt generic stuff. do Arc Systems have a hand in making KOF XII?

what will always win out is style - it doesn't matter what point of history you're at.

that's why 60s R'nB is greater than modern R'nB
that's why Hitchcock movies are greater than any modern thriller
and why games on older or inferior hardware from a technical point of view can outdo the flashy technically competent games of today.
it's all down to points of view ofcourse, but running with this just because it's new and hi rez is a mistake I think. people are too swept up in thinking that new must mean better necessarily. truth is KOF 98>Neowave

if they found a lost album of one of the great musicians of the past, and they released it - wouldn't the music be as genius and relevant today as it was back when it was being made?
in the same way as - if the team behind Last Blade took on the Neo Geo to produce a game - as improbable as this is - how would people feel?
there has to be soul. especially in this day and age - especially with something as rare as 2D arcade gaming.

sorry for the rant. need coffee. now.

sorry dude

but leave the Neo graphics for the Neo

Neo Alec
09-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Just as long as KOF doesn't end up looking and playing just like a Guilty Gear, Spectral vs. Generation, or Melty Blood wannabe.

DevilRedeemed
09-28-2006, 02:35 PM
sorry dude

but leave the Neo graphics for the Neo
sonned

Stifu
09-29-2006, 08:29 AM
You are right, fair and simple.

If you ask me, bitmap graphix exist as long as pixel are visible.
Thankfully, you're not a reference when it comes to defining what bitmap is.
Besides, you've got some major eyesight problems if you can't see the pixels in high-res sprites.

If you want old stuff, just go back to the old games. If you like enormous pixels that much, go and play early 80s video games.. That's all

High-res graphics don't make anything look worse, quite the contrary. The fact GG has anime graphics, relatively bad animation and a gameplay and style that some people don't like does NOT mean EACH and EVERY high-res 2D fighting game has to be just like that. That's a ridiculous argument.
Thinking that is just as retarded as thinking low-res 2D games all have to look, feel and play just like SF1, or whatever.