Double Dragon PCB - Sound but no tunes :(

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
I scored a Double Dragon PCB on the fleabay, love that game to death.

When I hook it up to either one of my cabs, I get noise (punch, kick, grunt, etc.) but no music. Also, if I try to adjust the volume knob I get bad feedback/static noise - but only when my finger is touching it.

Anyone who has played DD knows that without the music, its about 1/3 as kickass as intended. Any ideas on remedies to fix this? Should I give it a good cleaning in the dishwasher? Bill suggested having new sound roms burned but I don't know if it's even worth all that.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I'm just guessing but I'd say the volume static problem is probably due to a dirty / failing pot. You might try hosing it down with some contact cleaner and turning it to the extremes a few times to clean it up.

No idea about the music, though.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I looked in my DD service book, but can't find a option to turn the music on or off with a dip sorry.

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
RGP said:
I looked in my DD service book, but can't find a option to turn the music on or off with a dip sorry.

Yeah only thing I found in the dip settings was the option to turn demo sound on/off.

It doesn't make sense to me. Why would just sound effects work but not the tunes...

I thought it might have been the cab I was using, Super Neo 29 with a MVS/Jamma toggle. So I tried it on my New Astro (plain jamma) and still same issue.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Well...

Many game boards have a separate music generator and separate sound generator circuit. I don't have a DD schematic or board here to look at it but you'll probably find a bad IC, broken trace, or a bad op-amp on the board.

The YM2151 is the chip for the music. They typically output to a YM3012 D/A converter which then outputs to various op-amp ICs. Get you a high-impedance audio probe and you can check the output of that D/A converter for audio. If it's not there then check both those YM chips... if it's there then check the op-amps. It's not hard to follow the traces on the board to see where the audio goes.

If you don't have pinouts for the op-amps then download the NTE Quick-cross reference guide software at: http://nte01.nteinc.com/webforms.nsf/qcsignin?openform

RJ

lowlight

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That's right

ttooddddyy said:
The cabs have -5 volts on their PSUs right ?

http://www.crazykong.com/pins/Doubledragon.pin.txt

It does, i have this same exact board, and like Taito Type-B boards, SEGA System16, and various others, the music channel is only available when -5V is present. Of course, I found this out the hard way with my AWSD cab, but thankfully still have my SG to run it on. The poster (dubdubdub) will need -5V for this board's music to run correctly.

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
Nice one guys, I will give that a try...once I figure out exactly how to do it :kekeke:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I have the original board & it works fine on +5v.

bwodie

Another Striker
do any of you guys have troubles playing this with an 8way joystick?
was it ment to be played on a 4 way?

trying to control the dudes is fuckin hard for me :S

lowlight

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Interesting...

RGP said:
I have the original board & it works fine on +5v.

That's a bit odd, what type of cabinet are you running it in? If it's a SEGA Cab, those usually have all three voltages available. If it's a cab that only has +5V and +12V (like my AWSD), you'd have no music available and only a few sound effects.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Its a Capcom Mini-cute with a Sanwa psu, it has -5v, +5v & 12v I have the +5v line set to 5.2v.

Sorry if I came accros as just having +5v.

Last edited:

lowlight

Kuroko's Training Dummy
No worries, it's all good

RGP said:
Its a Capcom Mini-cute with a Sanwa psu, it has -5v, +5v & 12v I have the +5v line set to 5.2v.

Sorry if I came accros as just having +5v.

The Mini-Cute is a great one in Capcom's line, and is one I may end up having to get (if I can find it) myself for all of my other -5V based games :D. Thank you for clarifying though as it makes sense now as to why it would run correctly for you... :)