Need monitor help

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Well, it seems the monitor in my Big Red just gave up the ghost tonight. I figured I'd come here in hope of hearing some possible fixes.

For the last two weeks the screen on my cab has started intermittently skitzing out. It's like the screen shrinks to a 1" tall horizontal line that stretches across the whole screen. I can still see the credit count and see some movement within that one inch line.

I used to be able to tap on the side of the cab and the screen would expand to normal size, but that doesn't even work now.

I've removed the neck board and cleaned all connections to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If you had to tap the side of the cabinet then you have a cracked solder joint. After awhile they will crack and arc bad enough to burn the joint.

Take the board out and search for the solder joints with cracks in them and resolder them. It'll be easy to spot some of them, harder for others. The biggest culprit in your case will the the yoke connector solder joints.

Be careful when pulling the monitor board apart - if it's bad enough the yoke connector may come off the board when you pull on the plug to remove it.

Discharge the CRT (instructions on that are all over the board, do a search) then remove the boardset from the cabinet and fix the solder joints. While you have it out you may want to do a cap kit just for preventative maintenance. It's cheap and easy to do.

Raymond

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Seems like you have a dry joint on the vertical output IC (or transistors on old models) Should be an easy fix :)

Resolder the pins on the vert output amp IC. London to a brick - that will fix it.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Okay, I've done a cap kit already. That's actually when this started. My problem is that I'm very foggy as to the names of some of these things. I don't know where the vertical IC amp is. :confused:

I'm going to start pulling this thing apart again to see what I screwed up. If you guys could help me out with some location info, I'd appreciate it. I have the cap map, but that's all.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Alright, I resoldered all of the IC's and any dry connections to no avail. I just don't get it.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
OK, if wires are moved around, is there intermittent vertical scan, or is there a permanent frame collapse (single white line)

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
ttooddddyy said:
OK, if wires are moved around, is there intermittent vertical scan, or is there a permanent frame collapse (single white line)

Alright, I replaced the neck board and monitor board with another setup. It works fine now. Actually, it looks a little cleaner than my previous board. So, the advice here was more than likely right.