HOLY CRAP: SNK Playmore coming to XBLA

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
So awesome:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156462.html

SNK Playmore heads to Live Arcade
Publisher to show Fatal Fury Special for Xbox 360's download service, new King of Fighters for PS2, Metal Slug PSP at next month's Tokyo Game Show.
By Walt Wyman, Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Aug 24, 2006 11:46 am PT

When Capcom released Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting on Xbox Live Arcade earlier this month, it was quickly pronounced the fastest-selling title ever to hit the service. Obviously, there is an audience for downloadable 2D arcade fighting classics on the Xbox 360.

That audience has another title to look forward to, as SNK Playmore revealed its lineup for the Tokyo Game Show, running September 22-24, and it included the company's first offering for the Xbox 360: a Live Arcade version of Garou Densetsu Special (Fatal Fury Special in the US).

Looking at the PlayStation 2, there will be a non-playable demo of The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match accompanied by a playable demo of Garou Densetsu Battle Archives 2. And in commemoration of the 10th anniversary of Metal Slug, SNK will also ready a playable Sony PSP title called Metal Slug Complete. Although SNK lists this as a newly announced title, it is presumably the same game as Metal Slug Collection, which SNK showed to the Western press at the Game Developers Conference back in March, and renamed Metal Slug Anthology for its appearance at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in May.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Man, and I was hoping for Samurai Showdown... :crying:
(I'll still buy this one, though... :chimp: )

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
KOF 98 rebout?

That pretty much fucking rocks.

Hopefully the new KOF for ps2 isn't maximum impact.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
GeoStigma said:
My odds of picking up a 360 continue to increase.
x2

are xbla games downloadable for japanese xbox's? I want to play senko no ronde on live.

brumma

NEST Puppet
GeoStigma said:
My odds of picking up a 360 continue to increase.

I'm not trying to rip on you, but why would you buy a 360 for Fatal Fury Special when you can already play it on your Neo-Geo? I suppose the online match-ups are the draw, eh?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
'98 Ultimate Match: Fucking awesome news (if done well).

Garou Battle Archives 2: Also fucking awesome.

I'll buy them both.

As for FF Special: If it lags the same as SF2HF I wouldn't bother.

X

Y,
Loopz said:

Wow. For some reason I get no lag at all. I think I may have had one laggy match out the 60 I have played. Guess I have been lucky.

"Macho Man" Butta Supremo

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
Loopz said:

I have no problem with the lag in Hyper. It's no worse than SFAC. Sure you run into the occasional match with horrible lag, but for the most part the games I've played have been fine. Have you tried playing anyone on your friend list yet?

Anyways this is excellent news.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
brumma said:
I'm not trying to rip on you, but why would you buy a 360 for Fatal Fury Special when you can already play it on your Neo-Geo? I suppose the online match-ups are the draw, eh?
Are you familliar with the term, "Duh"?

Setsuna1982

World Her,
that kof98 ultimate match will be kof98 with hi-res sprites?

because 98 sprites are more or less the same used in actual kof's and that will made easy a kofXII in full hi-res.

I understood that they converted kof94 since it's animation wasn't as detailed as 95, 96 and so on. But if they resize the sprites keeping the animation it would rock graphically

And people would realize how badly animated GGX is

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I need a converter to use PS controllers on the 360 then. I just bought a couple already for the original XBox.

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
brumma said:

Online matches are a big draw, I have other reasons as well, Dead Rising, Enchanted Arms, Burnout, DOA4 and eventually Halo 3.

I'd be crazy to just buy a 360 to play old NG games I already own, its just an added bonus.

Josh

Banned
I wasn't too enthused about the 360 at first and M$ hasn't sold me on it just yet, but I am definitely watching close to see what is in store with this system here. The slick console design as well as the controllers are a plus, but since I'm a 2D fighter & Shooter Fan, I just don't know if these 2 games are going to cut it for me.

I'm definitely purchasing a Wii though, no doubt about that.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I'm not complaining, and should they choose to release this for the US, I will most certainly buy it, but I would have rather seen Metal Slug get ported. Think how well a more modern shooter would do. The scoreboards would be interesting, don't you think?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
"Meh" pretty much sums up my feelings on all that. Reason being is we'll never see the '98 redo overseas, and the prospect of playing FFS on the X-Box 360 doesn't whet my appetite quite as much as many other quality Neo offerings would.

No geniunely new game announcements either, but I'm sure they'll be saving that for the actual show.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
FFS is a good game, would I pay 800 MS points for it? hell no. it hasn't aged as well as SF2T, which in itself is a bit aged.

something like MOTW or Real bout 2, now you're talking.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
ffs online sounds super.
if i had live i'd show everyone my big bear.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Setsuna1982 said:
that kof98 ultimate match will be kof98 with hi-res sprites?

because 98 sprites are more or less the same used in actual kof's and that will made easy a kofXII in full hi-res.

I understood that they converted kof94 since it's animation wasn't as detailed as 95, 96 and so on. But if they resize the sprites keeping the animation it would rock graphically

And people would realize how badly animated GGX is

Yeah I think that was the general opinion when 94 Rebout Came Out "Nice looking filters but it still has that poor animation from the original game, add that filter to a newer game like 98..." Not to mention 94's gameplay isn't as stellar or well known as 98.

I wonder if they'll use the DC Backgrounds or come up with completely new ones. Either way, fix that music bug, maybe add some new Hiroaki art to the select screen and I'm set!:buttrock:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
NEOWAVE said:
I wasn't too enthused about the 360 at first and M$ hasn't sold me on it just yet, but I am definitely watching close to see what is in store with this system here. The slick console design as well as the controllers are a plus, but since I'm a 2D fighter & Shooter Fan, I just don't know if these 2 games are going to cut it for me.

I'm definitely purchasing a Wii though, no doubt about that.
I thought we had all agreed already that the 360 isn't going anywhere, and that Microsoft is washed up in the console biz and that they should get out. Fatal Fury Special online is just an incentive for people who already have the system (people who buy all the consoles regardless).

Frankfurt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Neo Alec said:
I thought we had all agreed already that the 360 isn't going anywhere, and that Microsoft is washed up in the console biz and that they should get out.

If Microsoft is doing badly in your mind, then how is Nintendo, whch is far away in third place, after Microsoft?