Astro monitor has discoloured patch

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've been bugging to post this up for a while, there is a discoloured patch on my Astro's monitor and even when I degause the monitor it still doesn't go away even after multiple degauses, moves ect.

Is there no way to get rid of it?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Is the discolored spot on the side of the monitor where there are speakers? Do you have a motorized device (fan, AC unit, etc) or another monitor/tv next to it?

Those things can cause discoloration on the CRT that you won't be able to get rid of until you move/replace them.

Raymond

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Well there is an old CRT TV that sits about 45cm away from the cab but it's always off.
Thing is the discoloured patch is on the opposite side of this stuff, the patch is located on the middle right.
Next to the cab there is clothes and nothing electrical.:conf:

I moved it about half a metre away from the wall and still with a degause the patch doesn't go away.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
There are these little magnets that you can get to combat the discoloration. I know in the states, Radio shack carries them. They're very small and have adhesive on them to stick directly to the tube.

Might wanna try that.

-B

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think I'll try that, will any small magnet do you think?
I don't think I have radioshack stores here in Aus.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I had a set that were affixed to an old monitor (which i no longer have). The magnets are about 1/2" long and trapezoid shaped. The magnet is no thicker than a refrigerator magnet. I'm not sure if they're special magnets or just regular old ones...

-Bill

PS- I'll look out for a set next time I go to Radio Shack. They're very cheap if i remember correctly. If i can find them, i'll pick up a set for ya.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Before I had my cab in my room it didn't have the patch, maybe the wall that it's up against is causing discoloration, there is probably electrical wiring in the walls as that one wall goes down the side of the house and has numerous power points.

And I just moved my room around, gah.

I have heaps of fridge magnets or probably some old dead speakers I could pull magnets from, thanks anyway's though. :)
Proably just something in my room.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I spent a little time today moving my cab around to try and find what is causing the interferance with the CRT.
It seems that there must be something (probably electrical wiring) in the wall behind the cab that is causing the discoloured patch.

I had the game on and moved my cab in the opposite direction and the patch dissapeared, problem is I can't exactly move it anywhere else than where it's currently situated.
I also got a small maget and put it over the patch and it did clear up the patch and other times not.
If i get a small magnet and put it onto the back on the CRT to fight the interferance from the wall will it cause damage to the monitor in the long term?

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
lachlan said:
I spent a little time today moving my cab around to try and find what is causing the interferance with the CRT.
It seems that there must be something (probably electrical wiring) in the wall behind the cab that is causing the discoloured patch.

I had the game on and moved my cab in the opposite direction and the patch dissapeared, problem is I can't exactly move it anywhere else than where it's currently situated.
I also got a small maget and put it over the patch and it did clear up the patch and other times not.
If i get a small magnet and put it onto the back on the CRT to fight the interferance from the wall will it cause damage to the monitor in the long term?

I can't give you a definative answer

but Magnets + CRT = NO

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I have the same issues with my game room. I have been told that it's the field created by all of the stuff in there. My little snk cab and the mitsubishi monitor have to be on one side of the room, or they get the same problem. IMO, just arange your gaming room so those cabs are where they need to be. Easiest fix I can think of.