CPS2 SSF2T Will Phoenixing Fix this ?

sneek

Rugal's Thug
Ive recently got a SSF2T of which i assumed, from the posts on here, would have freeplay.

Well mine doesn't... its the world version. However ive checked out the roms for all thats avaliable and they don't have it either. With the possibility of the euro having it.

So my question is how do you get freeplay and event mode (mainly for tournament purposes) on a SSF2T ?

CHeers.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Free play is ONLY on US versions. That's why I used to play the US version (on my phoenixed copy). Gay thing is, you have to be fucking superman in order to play it. JPN is MUCH easier.

But, again, US is only ver to have freeplay. So, yes.... sort of, phoenixing will fix it.

sneek

Rugal's Thug
Hey bwodie... i come out to play @ ng occasionally :D

So which US version does the phoenix make your board... and how many regions does i switch to ?

Any of them have Event Mode ? Such a pain to run tournaments without it :/

Ive noticed the difficulty level is nasty on the US board... ive got the jap board too so i know what you mean. Whats up with that... even on 1 its not easy at all.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I can fire up my cab and see about event mode. As far as US versions, there's only one... it has free play. On my phoenixed version theres US, Asia, JPN, Mexico, and ETC. I can't really tell what the hell ETC is, but I know it doesn't have free play either. :mr_t:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
What is event mode exactly? Once I know, maybe I can answer this question.

Raz

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
@RAZ

Event mode allows you to chose a new character after every fight is over. When someone wins it cuts to the gameover screen and you start a new game and get to chose your character even if you won the last match.

I am almost possitive the US version does not have this.

The japanese version does not have it for sure.

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
if you all could welcome me to 2 yrs ago, but, WTH is a "phoenixing"? is this hacking or bootlegging a CPS-2 or CPS-3 PCB or something? is this some "taboo" stuff or [sarcasm]is it about jean grey/phoenix[/sarcasm] :spock:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
From the sounds of it this event mode is a special version of the game that was not in the general arcade version. Maybe it was added to a later revision of the game. I think the best thing to do is to find out the game revision (on the boot screen) of a game that has this event mode in.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
evasyar said:
if you all could welcome me to 2 yrs ago, but, WTH is a "phoenixing"? is this hacking or bootlegging a CPS-2 or CPS-3 PCB or something? is this some "taboo" stuff or [sarcasm]is it about jean grey/phoenix[/sarcasm] :spock:

CPS2 Phoenix edition is basically CPS2 games that are fixed so they will never suicide (or brought back to life if they have already suicided).

Raz

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
Razoola said:
CPS2 Phoenix edition is basically CPS2 games that are fixed so they will never suicide (or brought back to life if they have already suicided).

Raz

ohhh WOW like applicable to CPS2s like alien vs predator, or the super street fighter 2 incarnations, or dungeons and dragons? who does these things?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
evasyar said:
ohhh WOW like applicable to CPS2s like alien vs predator, or the super street fighter 2 incarnations, or dungeons and dragons? who does these things?

Yes thats right and I created the phoenix fixes. You can PM or Email me if your intrested if having a few games done.

Raz

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
Razoola said:
Yes thats right and I created the phoenix fixes. You can PM or Email me if your intrested if having a few games done.

Raz

if i would have known 3 yrs back that this is even remotely possible, i would never have sold my CPS2s to FS, ahh well...i would have to hunt down Shadows Over Mystaria, AvP again :oh_no:

hey Raz - thx for info brother! i am hunting down some CPS2s again, i will keep you in mind when i get those PCBs again.

sneek

Rugal's Thug
Spike Spiegel said:
I can fire up my cab and see about event mode. As far as US versions, there's only one... it has free play. On my phoenixed version theres US, Asia, JPN, Mexico, and ETC. I can't really tell what the hell ETC is, but I know it doesn't have free play either. :mr_t:
Do all regions actually work ? Also is there no Euro version dumped ?
ETC is world... which is my current version.
I also thought there was at least 2 US revisions...

Razoola said:
From the sounds of it this event mode is a special version of the game that was not in the general arcade version. Maybe it was added to a later revision of the game. I think the best thing to do is to find out the game revision (on the boot screen) of a game that has this event mode in.

Raz
Ive had a look at the roms of which regions are available and working... none of them have event mode :( Its not really a special version of the game. It allows 1 play for head to head, after the match is over regardless of who won... it goes to the title screen. Kinda like VS mode on most console SF2 versions.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
sneek said:
Ive had a look at the roms of which regions are available and working... none of them have event mode :( Its not really a special version of the game. It allows 1 play for head to head, after the match is over regardless of who won... it goes to the title screen. Kinda like VS mode on most console SF2 versions.

I have never seen anything like this. Maybe there is some sort of button code to achieve this as there is no system setting to do that which I know of. I do know that hyper Street Fighter 2 on CPS2 has the ability to choose 1 round matches though.

Raz

toodles

Zero's Secretary
Raz, if you want to see it in action, load up Vampire Savior in an emulator or real hardware, go into the service menu menu, and select 7. Configuration -> 2. Game -> 6. Event, and set it to '1 Match' (the non-default answer).

Putting in a single credit and hitting start will start up a 2 player game, and Game Over once the versus game is up, but it still uses the 2, 3, or 4 round system for the game. I know 3rd Strike has a similar mode, but I could not find a setting for it anywhere in the menu for any Super Turbo version or New Challengers version.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Ok, I have just tested in Vampire Savior and see what you mean. I suspect there is a newer version of SSF2T which has this added I soppose.

Raz

Mulletron

Kabuki Klasher
All of the SF:3s had this feature as well, as for JJBZ and RE I have no Idea.

Event modes are specifically for... well... events or similar tournaments. To save time and money. When on event mode, Free-play is usually turned on.

SOMETIMES (Everyone Try This) Event mode isn't an option unless Freeplay is on.

Try turning on freeplay, saving, then re-entering the menu. Its like that on a lot of Konami Games.

DDR does that, but their event mode allows you to play endless matches without running out of songs or returning to menu's or Menu Timers, or credits... Perfect for tourneys.

sneek

Rugal's Thug
That vampire saviour has the same menu as cps3... which includes it event mode :(

No luck on the switch to freeplay then reload trick.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
Razoola said:
Ok, I have just tested in Vampire Savior and see what you mean. I suspect there is a newer version of SSF2T which has this added I soppose.

Raz
Raz, could you check if SF Hyper has it? (not SF turbo:hyper fighting, but the most recent one that allows you to select different SF2 character versions to play. The 'Anniversary Edition' one.)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
toodles said:
Raz, could you check if SF Hyper has it? (not SF turbo:hyper fighting, but the most recent one that allows you to select different SF2 character versions to play. The 'Anniversary Edition' one.)

Just checked and it does not.

Raz