Astro City Monitor Stretching

Keith Elliott

War Room Troll
One of my Astro City monitors is acting up. After the it’s been on for more then 2 hours or so the horizontal hold seems to go out and the picture stretches and becomes garbled. I am just assuming that the caps are going on it. I don’t think it’s the flyback because the picture isn’t blurry. Any reason to look else where for a solution?

Thanks,
Keith

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Probably a bad cap. Caps often act up when they reach a certain temperature and thats not necessarily to do with whats going on inside the cab. The only thing that changes from turning it on and 2 hours later, is the temperature of the unit.

My Impress started to wobble after 5 mins of play in the summer. But in winter it took 15 because the temperature was cooler in the garage. Or at least thats what I'm led to believe.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Could also be a bad solder joint...

When it happens try smacking the side of the cab... if the picture straightens out or tries to then it's probably just a bad solder joint. In any case, since you are taking it out to fix that you might as well cap it. The cap kits are cheap preventative maintenance.

RJ

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't know if this is just my AW but in 15khz the NGBC logo kind of wobbles in the middle area's.
Not to derail this thread but my Astro MS9 29" has some slight convergence problems, would a cap kit fix something like this?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Hard to tell without seeing it... wobbly picture can be caused by motorized devices or other monitors/televisions next to the cabinet. It can also be caused by a bad power supply filter cap in the monitor or improper grounding.

The main filter caps in the monitor's power supply aren't typically included in a cap kit.

RJ