So I made another Neo to PS2 adapter

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Hey All,
I finally got round to my second attempt at making a Neo to PS2 adapter. My first atempt was about as messed up as could be, and still be working, it's crammed inside a vhs case which should never be opened lest you want to die of horror.
Anyways... that attempt taught me some soldering techniques and got me some confidence, and I immediately started thinking about how I could have done it better, and the first thought was that instead of sac'ing a pad to make an adapter, why not add an adapter to a pad, keeping in functional!
The results of that are below :D

The joypad I used was a 'Joytech Advanced Analog Controller', the same as my previous attempt 'cause it has nice easy-to-use contact points.
Here's a picture of the board pulled out of the casing:
Ps2_board.jpg

The next thing I did was rip the connector from the end of an old pc joypad, just the kind the Neo controllers plugs into.
I dremmeled a hole in the pack of the pad shell and fitted the port:
port_on_back.jpg

Then using a wiring diagram I got from GamestationX, I soldered the needed wires to the pins:
Wired_port.jpg

One thing to note, the PS2 controller uses different grounds for the main controls, and the start/select buttons, so start/select on the neo controller are mapped to L1 & R1 on the PS2 pad, to use Start or Select, you gotta press the PS2 pads buttons. (No, you can't bridge the grounds, trust me)

The board was mounted back in the shell and the wires connected to the contact points:
Connections_to_board.jpg

The came what turned out to be the hardest part, closing the pad back up... I won't go into detail but it was FIDDLY.
So, I now have a fully function PS2 controller with a Neo port in the back!!
Neo_connected.jpg

Neo_to_Ps2.jpg

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
good job:buttrock:

how did you secure the port in the back of the controller?

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
It has a ridge on the inside which stops it coming out, and some super glue to lock it down.