Metal Slug X Altera Chip

DMC

n00b
So, after NeoAlec and I both reported the same problem with Metal Slug X and the Super MVS converter (reboot after UNIBIOS splash screen, 3-6 board), I started digging around to find, if not an answer, a definitive cause for the problem.

Cracking open a pair of non-boot (AFAIK) MS X carts reveals an Altera MAX chip on both (labled E0P01). Generally speaking, an Altera chip might make me think bootleg, but everything else appears legitimate. Past that, I remember hearing at some point or another that MS X had an extra chip for security. Does anyone know if this chip is the Altera?

If there's one non-standard chip in MS X, one would think that's the reason for the crash with the converter. However, what would that chip be doing? Swapping offsets? Encryption? Offsets seems likely. But, that begs the question, is there a circumvention? I'm grepping the MAME source to see if there's anything.

In the end, I think it's an interesting question. Does anyone have any insight?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I believe it's the precursor to the SMC chip used on later MVS boards. I belive that it's responsible for the protection checks throughout the game. If you look at MAME's driver for the game, you will see that it patches the program data to take out these checks.

Jeff

DMC

n00b
Thanks Jeff, I'll check the source for it and see what comes up!

DMC

n00b
So perhaps I'm just typing for my own peace of mind, but I think Jeff's got it. Grepping the neogeo.c code finds two entries with "abnormal" protection fixes (MSX and FF2, though there are protection-fixes for most games after '99). If MSX was the only game that implemented this particular protection scheme and it only cause a flaw with a single board revision, it probably slipped past the converter's test team.

This, though, leads me to the question: what's different about the 3-6 board revision? I'm certain several forum members know, but I've never seen the layout for any but my own.

Anyone care to chime in?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'm not keen on disecting code.. but I checked my MSX cart and it has an Altera MAX chip in it too. Like I mentioned in the Converter thread.. my cart works fine. Where do I look to find my cart revision? I'll post a pic later.. maybe that will help you guys.

DMC said:
Anyone care to chime in?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I took another look and my Altera chip is labeled 'E0P01' as well. You mentioned that your had to open up your cart to see the chips. Is it not a clear case? My MSX has a clear blue case.

DMC

n00b
Woody, it's not the revision of the MSX cart, it's the revision of the AES motherboard. You can open the system up and find it printed there. If you're hesitant to open up your AES, you can just check the serial number-- the serial should give an approximate idea about your board revision.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Yeah.. I'm too drunk to get in there right now... but my SN is #082861.