KOF '99, possible boot?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
The cart case had a reprinted label, so I opened the cart to check it out. I was planning on trading it but I thought I should check and see if it's a boot first. It has a lot of EPROMS..

PIC 1

PIC 2

Thoughts?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Thanks, I wasn't sure. I've never seen that many EEPROMS on a board before. I guess I can trade it off/sell it without worrying now.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm not sure what those are there for. There are even ones in spots where the original doesn't have any. However, the other chips on the boards appear to be real, and everything else about the boards looks right. Good post.

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'd say legit - have a look at PI 2 repair- eproms on the PROG board with a legit CHA board - although I like the official labels on your eproms.....

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I've always imagined someone could make two "legit" repaired carts out of one legit cart and one boot by splitting it up and putting one legit board and one bootleg board in each. The games do work correctly that way. People would just say, "Well, you've got a legit board in here, and it looks like someone repaired the other board with EPROMs." Hopefully no one has the time and resources to get the parts and actually bother doing that.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Neo Alec said:
I've always imagined someone could make two "legit" repaired carts out of one legit cart and one boot by splitting it up and putting one legit board and one bootleg board in each. The games do work correctly that way. People would just say, "Well, you've got a legit board in here, and it looks like someone repaired the other board with EPROMs." Hopefully no one has the time and resources to get the parts and actually bother doing that.
Have a look at the Neo Turf Masters boot I posted about. It looks like one legit board and one bootleg board. Scary stuff.

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Murray said:
Have a look at the Neo Turf Masters boot I posted about. It looks like one legit board and one bootleg board. Scary stuff.

The CHA board on that isn't the regular one used in NTM (ie - the board type, not the chipset), and MX roms.......phew.....

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Murray said:
So how do you know someone didn't bust one of the boards in half and then "repair" the cart by making a substitute for the board? Perhaps we should say when one whole board has been replace that it's no longer a "replacement" and is in fact only half of a legit game. You'd have to at least be the only owner since the repair and be able to know exactly what you have, but Neo Geo games seem to change hands so much, it's no wonder there are so many mysterious carts out there.

Last edited:

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Neo Alec said:
Perhaps we should say when one whole board has been replace that it's no longer a "replacement" and is in fact only half of a legit game. You'd have to at least be the only owner since the repair and be able to know exactly what you have, but Neo Geo games seem to change hands so much, it's no wonder there are so many mysterious carts out there.
Absolutely right. There's no way to know without being the original owner.