Again... Michael Beard Returns...

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Ok, this will be a mini review of the the Garou Battle Archives 1 for the JP PS2. I was kinda excited abou this lil' pack of treats for no logical reason... but I guess it was just that I loved these games as a little rat and I was happy to have them legally and on a single DVD ROM.

Word up. SNKP did a bang up job on porting these titles... they apparently are emulated.. so basically they're arcade perfect and through the PS2's high quality viddy and sound output yer neighbors might believe you really are slapping around some fool.

Anyway, here's some differences.. all the games have both an original and arranged soundtrack.. with Fatal Fury having an arranged track just for the PS2 I think.. maybe they used that old arranged album (anyone know?). The other titles on the disc-FF2, FF Special, & FF3 have the NGCD arranged soundtracks... so that's tasty.

Um.. I found the control to be a bit more difficult than the Neo versions..even with a Neo2 joystick in me sweaty hands....
fuckingshitterrybogardIwannapowawebu not air fisting nonsense!..
but, I'm an old guy now-no more throwing controllers.. A bit of practice and I could do them almost as well as on the Neo (I found doing them slower to be helpful). Still, this is something that should have been greatly improved. I mean this was a golden chance to correct flaws to make a game more playable. Also, the voice effects were occasionally less sharp then the Neo originals..

If I were in charge of SNK here's what I would have added: an arranged play mode for FF1 where you can use all the enemy opponents (like the old SNES version) and do double team battles throughout the game with any opponent on your side against an enemy. I would let the player be able to re-color all the characters.. not just the main heroes. I'd add a rapid fire option-handy for those annoying arm wrestling bonus stages, and I'd add a museum of artwork used in the various games.

Maybe some of this stuff's in there.. but, so far I haven't uncovered any leprechauns... If he does show up, I've got a golden shotgun waiting for him. And yes, this is a great compilation, and most fighting fans will enjoy.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
FF1 had an AST release, so the arranged music is probably from that album.

Richard Meyer's theme in an arranged format is definetely an experience. :P

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
KRONOS said:
I'd add a rapid fire option-handy for those annoying arm wrestling bonus stages[...]
Which would defeat the purpose, although it's not much of a purpose anyway.

That sucks about the controls. That can often be the difference between a decent port and a not-so-good one.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Neo Alec said:
Which would defeat the purpose, although it's not much of a purpose anyway.

That sucks about the controls. That can often be the difference between a decent port and a not-so-good one.

while the controls aren't as responsive as before.. they're far from bad. Just takes a bit of re-learning.

It's funny, I've had FF2 & FF special on the geo for years.. but only now have a really played around with other characters such as Tung, Krauser (he looks mad shitty in this game), and Axel. Tung is kick-ass.