Looking to build a Supergun.

I'm looking to build a Supergun. I have an Amiga RGB monitor so I don't think I need to worry about the most expensive part (the encoder). Does anyone know where I can find a list of parts I will need, or a description of what I need to do? I've searched around but every parts list I come across includes all these fancy parts that go along with the rgb converter.

From what I've searched I think I need:
Jamma Harness (Bob Roberts seems to be the best place to get this?)
PSU Jameco sw300 and cable (I read somewhere that they are no longer making sc200s)
8 pin circular din to go with power supply
2x DB 15 male ports (will allow me to use Neo sticks)
a port to connect to my monitor (using an Amiga monitor)
Speaker
Power Switch DPDT

Am I missing anything?

I'll probably be using this site as a starting point.
http://chadsarcade.co.uk/oldsite/Supergun/Whatyouneed.htm

I've looked at
www.multimods.com
shmups.com
assembler
digitpress
I've been all over. But it seems whenever someone explains how to make a SUpergun they all include the encoder.

I would greatly appreciate any help provided.
Thanks in advance

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This has been posted many many times in this forum alone. Use the search button, it comes right up.

For the encoder people usually use either a Neobitz board or JROK which is also being discussed in a couple threads below yours.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
phoenixgamers said:
The whole point is I have an RGB monitor so I don't need the stinking encoder!

OK, then use the search for the other stuff.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Personally, I would make the controller pinouts with Db25 pin connectors and custom build some six button controllers for Capcom games. If you decide to go this route you will also need a kick harness. I know you said you want to use Neo sticks, which is fine, but at some point you'll probably want to get some CPS2 (like me).

In addition, I would avoid the sw300 PSU, not because it is a bad power supply but because you should really have an adjustable power supply in a supergun. The stand alone psu's are great if you're only using them on one motherboard however some boards that I've used can be tempremental when it comes to voltage. I also believe the adjustable psu is cheaper than an sw300.

You're good to go on the video issue so just make the pinout and be done with it.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Power supply

The power supply is 5 pin, which has 3 grounds and a +5v and +12v.
So you need the 5 pin din connector.

I'm actually selling a smaller power supply which is in my opinion much better than the Jamecos.

If you want mine I will throw in a power switch, led + led holder, 5 pin din connector and 2 high quality Audio Jacks....(This package cost me over $80) all that shipped for $50 US Dollars.

Let me know if your interested, my thread is here:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147499

Theres a pic of it in the first post right at the bottom.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
Personally, I would make the controller pinouts with Db25 pin connectors and custom build some six button controllers for Capcom games. If you decide to go this route you will also need a kick harness. I know you said you want to use Neo sticks, which is fine, but at some point you'll probably want to get some CPS2 (like me).

Nah boss,

You can get away with a DB-15.

Take the Neo Pinout, Attach the Kicks to the second B+D buttons. There is one more unused pin for the third kick button.

Stick Goes like this:
ABCD

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:

A DB15 port has enough pins for both neo geo and Capcom fighting games. This is the pinout I use for my consolized CPS2:

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4748/db15bisza9.png

Magnaflux said:
In addition, I would avoid the sw300 PSU, not because it is a bad power supply but because you should really have an adjustable power supply in a supergun. The stand alone psu's are great if you're only using them on one motherboard however some boards that I've used can be tempremental when it comes to voltage. I also believe the adjustable psu is cheaper than an sw300.

As I've shown here the SW300 has an adjustable 5v output. The reason I wouldn't use it for a general purpose supergun is obviously its little power.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Disregard the encoder portion and run the (R)ed(G)reen(B)lue(S)ync(G)round wires from the harness straight to your RGB monitor pinouts. Just look up your monitor's model @ for the pinouts.
-BB
phoenixgamers said:
The whole point is I have an RGB monitor so I don't need the stinking encoder!

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
MKL said:
A DB15 port has enough pins for both neo geo and Capcom fighting games. This is the pinout I use for my consolized CPS2:

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4748/db15bisza9.png

As I've shown here the SW300 has an adjustable 5v output. The reason I wouldn't use it for a general purpose supergun is obviously its little power.

You are correct, however it does not have -5V capabilities.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Yup, that's another reason: not powerful enough and no -5v. All in all I find these dual output desktop PSUs quite useless: for consolizations 5v is all you need and for general purpose superguns you're better off using a regular arcade PSU (granted, more powerful desktop PSUs with all the outputs needed by jamma do exist but they're quite expensive).

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
The only trouble with using an Arcade PSU on a consolization job is that they look like shit and tend to have live terminals exposed to the world.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Gummy Bear said:
The only trouble with using an Arcade PSU on a consolization job is that they look like shit and tend to have live terminals exposed to the world.

That's fine and dandy, but he's building a supergun.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Who needs -5?

Mortal Kombat sucks.

-5V really is pointless on a supergun anyhow because the midway games that use it usualy can't synch properly (57hz signal).

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
billd420 said:
-5V really is pointless on a supergun anyhow because the midway games that use it usualy can't synch properly (57hz signal).

No it isn't.

Blood Brothers rocks your face.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Who needs -5?

Mortal Kombat sucks.

billd420 said:

Some people are bound to remain n00bs forever...

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You only need a DPST switch for the power supply, although a DPDT switch will work fine. Just my 2p worth... :)

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Is he still here?

Or was he so disgusted with Xian Xi's outrageous encoder comment that he's decided against the whole project? ;)

Haha I haven't given up. I won't give up until I try and it doesn't work. I just had something to take care of. I'm buying a Pinball mahcine and had to work out the details.

So by the sounds of it my list of parts should work. Except the power supply which it seems everyone has their own opinion on.
Same with the DB-15 connectors. I think I will try DB-15 connectors this time around. And next time I might switch it up to DB-25. Right now I just want to play some Neo games.