I guess SNKP can't make a Crystalis remake anymore...

Snkrunk

n00b
Wikipedia
On June 26, 2000; Nintendo bought the rights to Crystalis and released it for the Game Boy Color (GBC) with a modified storyline, new music, and some other minor modifications in gameplay (Perhaps most notably, in the GBC version monsters are no longer immune to certain swords--a common and often complained about occurrence in the NES version). The re-released Crystalis was developed by Nintendo Software Technology (NST).

Shame...

I was thinking SNK/SNKP could be more well-known in the US if they produced a RPG series. It would also help their other franchises gain more American exposure

Plus, thanks to Aruze, they can't make Koudelka/Shadow Hearts games either.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's Wikipedia, so Nintendo may or may not have actually bought the rights to the game and any future titles. The way to tell would be to see if it says "Licensed from SNK" on the title screen or package.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
It's debatable how much of the core personnel from SNK's classic fighters remain. I'd be shocked if they had people left over from the Crystalis staff. That being said, if there's a Crystalis 2, it'll just be SNKP using the name to sell a brand new RPG really.

If you are feeling the need to play an next-gen game with Crystalis gameplay, I strongly recommend Ys: The Ark of Napishtim for PS2.

Snkrunk

n00b
neojedi said:
It's debatable how much of the core personnel from SNK's classic fighters remain. I'd be shocked if they had people left over from the Crystalis staff. That being said, if there's a Crystalis 2, it'll just be SNKP using the name to sell a brand new RPG really.

Probably.

Though if it IS true, it'd be pretty stupid...

They make some of the best fighting games and shooters, yet they are still not taken seriously in the US. They have one of the best, if not the best, ol' skool adventure games sitting around. One of those few games everyone likes, even for people who don't like SNK. People are even saying it's better than the original Zelda. And instead revivng/milking THIS franchise, they sell it off to Nintendo. WTF?

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
I have Crystalis GBC (as well as the NES cart) lying around here somewhere...I might find it here in a second and see if it does indeed mention being licensed.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Not even that, I think that SNKP should publish or co publish new games coming out from japan, not just fighters and have a second party house (american) do the translation.

I think magna carta would have been a good title published by SNK, given that its not a squarenix franchise (RPG wise).

Snkrunk

n00b
Giga Power said:
I have Crystalis GBC (as well as the NES cart) lying around here somewhere...I might find it here in a second and see if it does indeed mention being licensed.

bump

I was wondering if you found the license print or not.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I have both but, damn the music was a lot better on the NES. It just fit the game better. The additions in the story line was one good thing for the GBC version though.

derboo

Crazed MVS Addict
Well, it even starts up with a big SNK screen. The only thing that is Nintendo-copyrighted only are the new characters.

The music on the GBC is really boring.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Snkrunk said:
Wikipedia

Shame...

I was thinking SNK/SNKP could be more well-known in the US if they produced a RPG series. It would also help their other franchises gain more American exposure

Plus, thanks to Aruze, they can't make Koudelka/Shadow Hearts games either.

Just a note that SNK had nothing to do with the development of Koudelka or the Shadow Hearts series. They were developed entirely by a company named Sacnoth, which was renamed to Nautilus as of SH: Covenant. Also, the only two games Sacnoth had in relation with SNK were Faselei! on the NGPC and Koudelka. They never had any connection with Shadow Hearts.

I admit though, it would've been nice to have had the company remain under SNK and not Aruze, but Shadow Hearts came out in '01 when SNK was essentially a dead company, so it would've been impossible.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Just out of curiosity... if anyones still reading this thread, whats happened to the likes of ADK, Nazca, Yukembo, , etc. ? Have some of them been absorbed into SNK, gone defunct?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Moose said:
Just out of curiosity... if anyones still reading this thread, whats happened to the likes of ADK, Nazca, Yukembo, , etc. ? Have some of them been absorbed into SNK, gone defunct?
I've always kind of assumed most of them did.

Nice signature by the way. Guess I'm not the only one who has always laughed at those ads.

aria

Former Moderator
LOL... my first thought was "well, if Wikipedia "says" that, I can fix it in a few quick edits -- I can make myself the owner ;) "