Universal PCBs

ShYtFaCe

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm gonna build a custom stick pretty soon so I'm lookin at hacking one of these universal controllers, such as the Pelican P950/Real Arcade or this Osmart pad. I mainly play on the Xbox so I'd like to try the Real Arcade or Osmart pad since they've got memory card slots.

Basically I'm wondering if there's any point in using one of these. I mean are they actually custom PCBs that are designed to be truly universal? Or is there just some sort of internal adapter that wouldn't make it any different than hacking a PS2 pad?

bconner

Kula's Candy
Looks like it just has more than one type of game consol connector to me.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
ShYtFaCe said:
I'm gonna build a custom stick pretty soon so I'm lookin at hacking one of these universal controllers, such as the Pelican P950/Real Arcade or this Osmart pad. I mainly play on the Xbox so I'd like to try the Real Arcade or Osmart pad since they've got memory card slots.

Basically I'm wondering if there's any point in using one of these. I mean are they actually custom PCBs that are designed to be truly universal? Or is there just some sort of internal adapter that wouldn't make it any different than hacking a PS2 pad?

They're multi-use PCBs.

Just don't plug them into multiple consoles and fire them up at the same time.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There's a PCB inside it...

Even if it wasn't said... someone (maybe or maybe not you, but someone else) will try to plug them in to multiple consoles at the same time.

Not all consoles take direct wiring to the pads - many have circuit boards inside them with encoders on them. How else can you get a bajillion buttons, controls, memory readers, feedback mechanisms, etc, in a control pad with just a few wires?

RJ