4-slot sound probs...need to replace caps?

Dingo69869

n00b
Hello all,

I've read a few other threads on here relating to sound probs - I'm not sure if my probs are the same. My thing is.....when I first turn on the cab, sound volume is there - however extremely low.....after about 10 or 15 minutes (I guess after the cab "warms up") the sound level is fine - although the volume out of the left speaker is a little lower than the right. I guess it's not really a big deal - but being the perfectionist that I am, I like everything to work as it should....

Does this sound like I need to replace some components? If so, which ones? I'm fairly proficient at soldering - so all I need is a little guidance as to what components I need to purchase and where to pull the old from. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated - you guys are a wealth of knowledge up here...

-Steve

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Here is the schematic for the output stage

HA13001.gif

What does the 12 volts measure at switch on ?

Dingo69869

n00b
Thanks for the quick reply.....

I'm not sure I follow your Q about the voltage.....This schematic is for the HA13001 chip - a sealed unit......Are you telling me to check the voltage at one of the pins, or are you talking 12 volts from the power supply? Where should I measure from? Sorry if this is a dumb question...

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
The same exact thing is happening to me as well. When I run non-neogeo boarsd CPS2, Jamma) the sound is just find at power up. I'm starting to think the PSU, mainly the 12v line is not the cluprit of this.

Please let me know if you find out which caps you need to replace as I'd like to do that on mine.

-Bill

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Without the use of some test equipment like a capacitance meter or an oscilloscope, it's a crapshoot as to which ones to replace. It's easier to shotgun it and replace all the electrolytic caps.

RJ

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
Without the use of some test equipment like a capacitance meter or an oscilloscope, it's a crapshoot as to which ones to replace. It's easier to shotgun it and replace all the electrolytic caps.

RJ

You wouldn't happen to have a parts list for the caps would you?

Dingo69869

n00b
As far as the question about 12VDC at power-on.....I'm reading 10.6VDC straight from the power supply.....

Dingo69869

n00b
Really informative thread there......I guess if I re-cap the board, I'd just do all of them in that cluter in the pic??

One other question though.....I was asked earlier about the 12V coming in....and it only measures 10.66V at turn-on....does that have some sort of effect on my sound?

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
1 last question, do I want to use Axial Lead Electrolytic Capacitors or Radial Type Electrolytic Capacitors?

Also, I compiled a cap parts list:
4x 470µ
1x 220µ
5x 100µ
4x 22µ
10x 4.7µ

Thanks,
B

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Dingo69869 said:
One other question though.....I was asked earlier about the 12V coming in....and it only measures 10.66V at turn-on....does that have some sort of effect on my sound?

Is the HA13001 running hot ?

Dingo69869

n00b
Not sure to tell you the truth.....I havent taken the cover off the board. I'll do so, and let you know what I find......What if it is running hot? What do you think then?

Dingo69869

n00b
billd420 said:
1 last question, do I want to use Axial Lead Electrolytic Capacitors or Radial Type Electrolytic Capacitors?

Also, I compiled a cap parts list:
4x 470µ
1x 220µ
5x 100µ
4x 22µ
10x 4.7µ

Thanks,
B

Sorry to bring back such an old post, but I finally got around to fixing the cabinet and I have a question about recapping the sound on the motherboard....

All these caps listed here are what needs to be replaced....they're the caps surrounding the HA13001 chip. I've found all of these caps at Radio Shack - they're pretty common. My question is - the caps I've found are rated at 35v. Is that ok to use?? Someone who's done this before, let me know....thanks in advance.

-Steve

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Higher voltage rated caps are fine to use as long as their physical size isn't too big to fit on the board.

RJ

shess

I don't read too much into what happens on the for
When I went looking for capacitors I found that I could get more for less money at Jameco. They only sold them in packs of 10 but I was able to get 70 caps (7 different types needed) + shipping for less than I could get them at Radioshack. Plus it didn't take long to get them, arrived in North Carolina from the West coast in a couple days.

Scott

Dingo69869

n00b
Sorry to bring up an old thread...but I finally got around to putting caps in my 4-slot to fix the sound probs.....

....I got about half way through the changeout, and I decided to test the board - and it turns out, the "volume" issue at turn on is fixed - meaning, when the cab is turned on, the volume is steady at full volume - no need for the cab to "warm up" to get full volume, like it had to before...

...however, now there is ZERO sound coming from the left channel - not during the game, not during hardware test. I guess my question is: are there certain caps associated with ONLY left channel, or is the problem somewhere else? (i.e. HA1300-something chip?)

Somebody out there must know whats going on - shoot me a reply, help me out.

Thanks,
Steve

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There are certain caps associated to the left channel.

Double-check your soldering AND the orientation of the capacitors. They do fit in two ways but only work right if they are plugged in one way.

RJ

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Bump!

I am stumped as to what the deal is with mine. I've swapped most of the caps (not all yet).

Here is the strange part: some games have full sound, some have dodgy/partial sound, and some have no sound. The headphone jacks do not work at all.

Any ideas?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Just cleaned the carts like a fiend. Same exact results...