Metal Slug 3D Thread

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Thought I might as well start a proper thread for it now the game is out. Anyone played it yet? I'll post my own impressions on my site once I've had the chance to play the game, but like most people I'm not exactly expecting much (roll on MS6 is all I can say).

For anyone interested, I uploaded some music from the game to my sites jukebox. Head over there the and click the jukebox link in the featured news box at the top to check them out :)

Kaz

ps I'm expecting this thread to get ugly :P

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
yeah i got the game too...

...first impressions, mixed.

dont quite grasp this one - maybe its the shift to 3D??

the 3D control is standard fare, you have lock-on [R1] and with that you can straffe left right. you can release and press lock-on again to switch enemies but maybe there is a streamline way to do this have not experimented much with the controls so...

otherwise, the gameplay is mostly the same with its 2D cousin - platforming and shooting at the same time (lock-on). [L1] is snap into front view, you can rotate the camera around then [L3] to snap camera back to default. you still have the [X] for jumping, [SQ] for shoot, [TR] for melee attack with knife, [O] for grenades. i have not figured out how to change weapons but i do know i pick them up when lying around from fallen enemies. there are conservative blood spurting on enemies being shot at, i thought that was really cool of snkp to implement that. i have not had the chance to dual weild either but since this game seems to have rpg-centric character upgrading, maybe i need to earn it first??

the level design that i have been through thus far is not great but not bad either (have seen ps2 level designs far worse). the characters looked semi-deformish and cartoony like the 2D ones (no surprise there to maintain the old MS feel). i actually like the 3D versions of marco, tarma, fio, and eri - they looked very good, good job snkp. i saw the SMG weilding muscle-bound galoot in there i cannot wait to tango with the guy.

the missions i played through have two check points thus far and i have only completed one mission. first mission is short but maybe its just introductory to players???

i am playing through much deeper into it so i will give much better impressions next time. but so far i like the game much...

...oh and i get to use tank metal slug - you can lock-on or do manual shooting of the mounted MGs or the turret for the cannons. i have not figure out how to jump out of the MS tank before it explodes like in the 2D game tho... :(

also its not like the 2D were its one-shot you're dead, you actually have life meter that start at 5 and there are slew of breakables that can be shot or broken by your melee.

sorry, i am not that far in-game to see zombie-fication...yet.

i have only been able to play as marco rossi - does not have a player selection like the 2D.

the cut scenes dialog in engrish with us VAs, subs in nihon...

i like the game very much thus far and playing heavily in the meantime... :smirk:

Robert

20 Year Member
I'm glad to hear this review. Thanks for the input.

So MS 3D seems to be better than expected. I was sure that the game wouldn't be a total crap. Now the 3D switch will certainly let a bad taste in the mouth of all the MS hardcore fan. I'm quite sure it will give me the same impression that KOF MI. It's not bad, it's even far from it, but it's not KOF...

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
some complaints too...

i dont get the enemy tanks shooting at you and baby'ing you at the same time. i mean like in 2D with the tanks with big fiery cannonballs, well they are here in this game with their slow moving fire cannonbals but why did snkp have to put target reticules to where these puppies gonna land, its like telling the player "hey this enemy tank here is gonna blow you to bits with slow moving cannonball, but let me put reticules on the ground so you know where it lands and give you the time in the world to dodge'em too... wouldn't that tickle you like a tick on a fat dawg???"

the helicopters shooting on you are fine since they are fast moving and has a shot path to them, hell even the wall mounted turrets are better coz they shoot much faster than these tank behemoths that supposed trample on players - cant get the logic on this one snkp... :shame:

but so far i like the game, less on the baby'ing aspect tho...

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Thanks for the review...

Will be getting my copy and will soon find out if the game is actually enjoyable for me.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
evasyar said:
the helicopters shooting on you are fine since they are fast moving and has a shot path to them, hell even the wall mounted turrets are better coz they shoot much faster than these tank behemoths that supposed trample on players - cant get the logic on this one snkp... :shame:

but so far i like the game, less on the baby'ing aspect tho...

I think it's the Metroid Prime reason. They want to make it 3D, but try methods to eliminate as much worry about 3D space as possible. I guess it's there for those who have issues with seeing the angle of which the shot is coming from once there's a lot of projectiles in the air.

It's one of the reasons for MPs, and now Metal Slugs. lock on type of deal. It puts the player in the position where they worry more about 2 dimensions than 3.

They're trying to avoid the issues brought up by Worms 3D. Where it lost a good bit of its charm simply because, with the 3rd dimension, complicated stuff popped up. It was no longer pick-up-n-play. Now with the review, I'm not sure they avoided all aspects of that, but I guess the less the merrier. Considering lone solitary enemy tank shots (in the 2D metal slugs) were probably just as easy and obvious to dodge, I guess it's really so that it remains a similar level of difficulty, to the 2D version, when the bullets really fly.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Got the game too, but didn't get to play it for too long, as I was tired, and also ended up walking out of the game store with five new titles yesterday, so a lot of time was spent trying them all out.

So far, I'm finding Metal Slug to be a pretty decent game, but nothing that's approaching the level of Metal Slug 1-3. One thing that is a nice change is the addition of storyline elements; the game has a LOT of cut scenes and FMVs, all of which, along with menu screens, are in English, so this is a very import-friendly game. Voices are laughably bad, however that was pretty much expected. :)

Visually, the game reminds me a bit of Capcom's Maximo series, with characters that are somewhere between looking normal and super-deformed. They look very much like the Metal Slug artwork, so this style fits the game well. Game play is pretty good for the most part; I haven't found too much of a reason to jump yet, but generally, you just take out enemy soldiers in one or two hits, knife the guys with shields, and then circle-strafe the larger enemies like tanks to take them out. The control responds well, although there were a few times where I seemed to lose my lock-on for some reason. You also now have a radar to use in tracking enemies, which is especially useful against vehicles like helicopters.

Perhaps the biggest change to the game in the jump from 2D to 3D are the customization features. During game play, you can find various types of gold by killing enemies and breaking barrels/crates, which you can then use in upgrading your characters' attributes, making them stronger, having longer lifebars, etc. You can also find new main/alternative/grenade weapons to use. In addition, you can also customize the Metal Slug tank, giving it new parts/looks. I'm not sure if doing this actually affects the tank's performance or gives it new weapons yet, however.

I definitely need to spend more time playing this game to flesh out a more solid opinion; it's hard to tell if this is going to be a big game, full of levels, or just one that's made to be replayed over and over just yet. Also started talking screenshots last night; will post some later on.

evasyar said:
i have not figured out how to change weapons but i do know i pick them up when lying around from fallen enemies.

You hold down L2 and then hit fire to change weapons. It's in the manu-- ah, I gotcha. ;)

i have not had the chance to dual weild either but since this game seems to have rpg-centric character upgrading, maybe i need to earn it first??

I didn't know you could dual wield! Are you sure about this? That would be awesome!

i have not figure out how to jump out of the MS tank before it explodes like in the 2D game tho... :(

You get out the same way you got in; just click the L3 stick!

also its not like the 2D were its one-shot you're dead, you actually have life meter that start at 5 and there are slew of breakables that can be shot or broken by your melee.

Are you playing on easy difficulty? I'm playing on normal and am pretty sure the life meter only has three stocks.

i have only been able to play as marco rossi - does not have a player selection like the 2D.

You can play as all four main Metal Slug characters, but only Marco is available at the start. Just go the character set-up screen and you can see the "???" slots for Tarma, Fio, and Eri. Whether or not you unlock them during the course of the game or by beating it each time, I still don't know yet.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i was pretty sure i would hate this and have to go to snk and kick some butt and burn it down.

well maybe later..... off to play the game

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
for some strange reason, i feel it would have been handled very well by an american developer...

though, i haven't played it, it's just what I think SNKP should have done to begin with...