Chou Dragon Ball Z released today

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I've been playing the preview version i downloaded for about a week now, its really cool, it just feels weird playing a 3D DBZ game with a Stick espeicially after being used to the Budokai and Sparking games.

I was gonna import it but the preview one has english menus and all the japanese voices intact, so i am assuming the Pal release will be the same ( Budokai and Sparking both have Eng and Jap voices ), and the pal one is only £17.99 lol so theres no way i am splashing out 65 bucks on the import one :)

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Does this justify as Neo/SNK news? Is it on the atomiswave:chimp:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
^^^^^^
The point is that there's an off topic gaming forum for this kind of stuff. This IS "Neo-Geo.com," not "Banpresto.com."

Yeah, I downloaded the "preview version" (apparently it was a review code sent to a European country that got ripped) about two weeks ago too, but I'm picking up the game today. Gotta support developers.

Chou DBZ was developed by two former Capcom producers responsible for games like Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter III. I'm still not sure what to make of this game yet, but I want to give it more of a chance. I know you have to spend more time building up chararacters to give them more attacks/power, which is both good and bad.

Oh yeah, for ON TOPIC news, Metal Slug 3D comes out today too. I'll likely be walking out of the game store today with Metal Slug, CDBZ, Oneechanbara 2, and Last Bronx. Good day for gaming, but nothing tops KOF XI's release last week. :D)

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
i love the colors they used in kof xi's design. those green and yellow colors are pleasing to the eye. too bad they used the worst cover art possible.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Everyone that posted after post #2 are fags.

Including me.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
---------------------------------------
---Super DragonBall Z--------------
---------------------------------------
---System: Playstation 2------------
---Developer: Crafts & Meister----
---Publisher: Bandai-----------------
---Genre: Fighting-------------------
---# Of Players: 1-2-----------------
---Price: 6800 Yen-------------------
---Available: Now (Japan)-----------

----------------------------------------

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90OdCHuT5WY&mode=related&search=
(Shows some great examples of how the game engine works about halfway through)

-----------------------------------------

Super DragonBall Z is a breath of fresh air for fans of the series looking for a
well-crafted fighting game featuring their favorite characters. Developer Crafts
& Meister may be a new company, but at the helm are Noritaka Funamizu and Katsuhiro
Sudo, two former Capcom producers who were behind the likes of Street Fighter
II, Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter III, Power Stone, Monster Hunter,

and more.

sdbztitle0ws.jpg
sbdzchara4ek.jpg

The roster features 18 characters, mainly from before the Majin Buu saga:

-Son Goku
-Krillin
-Chi Chi
-Piccolo Daimyo
-Son Gohan (child)
-Piccolo
-Vegeta
-Freeza
-Future Trunks
-Mecha Freeza
-Videl
-Android #16
-Android #17
-Android #18
-Cell
-Majin Vegeta
-Majin Buu
-Ultimate Gohan

Majin Vegeta, Piccolo Daimyo, Ultimate Gohan, Videl, and Mecha Freeza are PS2-exclusive
characters, and must be unlocked.

Super DragonBall Z's game play is fully 3D-based, but also contains some 2D fighting game elements as well. The game uses a four button control scheme, with light attack, heavy attack, block, and jump buttons. You can move your character, as well as dash, in 8 directions, which is useful for avoiding projectile attacks and super moves. You can also
fly/hover in the air by double tapping jump, however all of these defensive manuevers use an action bar, which automatically refills itself when not in use. All of the stages feature multi-level environments and walls or trees that can be used for cover. All of these areas are destructable, so you can't hide behind something or stay up on top of a roof or cliff for very long.

sdbzkame6xj.jpg
sdbz173tr.jpg

Unlike the Budokai and Sparking games, Super DragonBall Z's roster has a more diverse feel, due to each character having special moves more unique to him/her. Special attacks and super moves are done in the standard 2D fighting game style, with fireball, dragon punch, and charge-style (Although no charging is needed) motions. Each character has several preset combos, such as hard, hard, light attack, but you can also perform juggles and super cancels, giving the combo system a more free-form feel.

The "meat" of Super DragonBall Z comes from the character upgrading system. When you first start the game, you need to make character card. Making a character card allows to give a character a unique name, change his/her appearance, and add/edit moves and abilities. Every time you win or lose a fight, your character's power level also goes up, so a player who takes a single character through a large number of fights will end up with a very strong character, with new abilities and attacks in comparison to the regular version of that character. But while this makes for a longer lasting single-player game, and also makes for some different match-ups with other players' edited characters, those wishing to just jump into Super DragonBall Z and play two player matches right away will find the characters a bit lacking in moves and abilities compared to the upgraded versions.

sdbzchichi8dr.jpg
sdbzgokuvegeta4rq.jpg

Super DragonBall Z features the original arcade mode, where you fight seven characters (the first five are random, but you always face Freeza and Cell in the last two matches), gaining Dragonballs and more power along the way. The new Z Survival mode lets you fight in a tournament, that not only raises your power level, but also has a roulette wheel that can raise other stats after every fight. There's also the standard versus and training modes. Training only lets you play on one stage, but you can modify the layout to include different types of platforms.

sdbzsummon28vx.jpg
sdbztraining8if.jpg

As you go through the original mode or the Z survival mode, you will also gain the Dragonballs, which can then be used to summon Shenron. Summoning Shenron allows you to unlock hidden characters, alternate outfits and colors, and a host of options that can be used in upgrading your character's abilities, such as new moves, a move taken from another character, extended action meters, an extra bit of life that revives a character who lost a round, and more. Some characters,like Mecha Freeza and Trunks, can also get new weapons to use.

Super DragonBall Z's visuals are entirely cel-shaded, and the presentation, right down to the loading screens, do a great job of mimicking Akira Toriyama's distinct art style. Hit effects also use text, just like in the comics. All of the stages are based on familar DragonBall landscapes as well, and if you look closely enough, you'll find cameos from other characters, like Mr. Satan on the Cell Games stage. The anime's original voice actors all return to reprise their roles as well. The music (I believe; not quite sure yet) is done by some members of Arika, as it sounds similar to the BGMs from games like Street Fighter EX, Mega Man Network Transmission, and Technictix; the music gives off a catchy, mostly upbeat vibe that feels like something out of the glory days of 2D fighting games from the early 90s.

sdbzcellgames5iw.jpg
sdbzchichicloud6zv.jpg

Super DragonBall Z is not only a great fighting game for fans, but also is also worth trying for those into fighting games. Super DragonBall Z is easily the best DragonBall Z fighting game ever made, and certainly the best DragonBall Z game since Hyper Dimension on the Super Famicom. HIGHLY Recommended for fans, nonfans should consider giving this game a try as well.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Is it just me, or do I just fail to see what's so special about this one VS the ones made by Dimps (mostly ex SNK and ex Capcom, in fact I believe most of the guys from dimps are Fatal Fury staff).

what makes this game so special?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
Is it just me, or do I just fail to see what's so special about this one VS the ones made by Dimps (mostly ex SNK and ex Capcom, in fact I believe most of the guys from dimps are Fatal Fury staff).

what makes this game so special?

It probably doesnt suck?

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Budokai 3 plays alot more like a regular 3D fighter with button combos and huge sequences for the special moves.

Chou DBZ plays much like a regular 2D fighter incorporating QCF moves etc, and all the moves in real time, although i hear the "planet destroyer" moves are sequences.

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Just got the The Game today for around $ 50 Australian Dollars from a game shop. I was going get a Import Version of it, but i wasn't going pay around $90 Aus Dollars for it. So after work i going give it a go, Hopefully it will play good using my Street Fighter Anniversary Arcade Stick:)

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Just got the The Game today for around $ 500 Hyrulian Rupees from a hidden shop in the wood. I was going get a Import Version of it, but i wasn't going pay around $900 Hyrulian Rupees for it. So after playing outside with the other kiddies i going give it a go, Hopefully it will play good using my Street Fighter Anniversary Arcade Stick :)

That's how your post sounded to me lol :lol:

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Dreamer said:
Just got the The Game today for around $ 500 Hyrulian Rupees from a hidden shop in the wood. I was going get a Import Version of it, but i wasn't going pay around $900 Hyrulian Rupees for it. So after playing outside with the other kiddies i going give it a go, Hopefully it will play good using my Street Fighter Anniversary Arcade Stick :)

What the Fuck is your problem? :blow_top:

Are you just flaming me just because it is Not a Neo Geo Title.
I like all 2d or 3d Fighters n00b, As long as they play good who cares.

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
Dreamer said:

:lol:

Back to the topic.

Maybe im old and too lazy to try those 3D hyper super ultra mega combo flying around punch and kick kinda games, i like 2D old school combat it works for me since i cannot coordinate too many things on screen , im not saying that DBZ is a piece of shit and asking what the hell this topic is doing here, but it don't work for me. :glee:

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I gave it a serious chance.

Sorry, it just wasn't any good.

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Well i played Super Dragonball Z on the Weekend and what can i say, It was total Crap, The Only thing that had going for it was the Graphics, but the Gameplay when using the Characters Combination Moves were easy to pull off. What really pissed me off about this Game is that when you doing a Combination you found urself pulling off a Super halfway in the Combo Moves instead of Actually finishing off the Combo first and doing a the Super for last :oh_no: . It might just be me sucking at playing this game or the Game mechanic's are really not finished. I got bored of it playing the sucker for 5 hrs and decide to let it collect dust on my shelf. Sry guys but this game does really sux that bad :angry:

I think i stick to my KOF'S and Street Fighter Games, Untill SNKP decides to release World Heroes & breaker's on the PS2.

Last edited: