PDA

View Full Version : As much as I give Playmore shit, I must give them credit when it is due...

Loopz
06-24-2006, 07:51 PM
...and last night, after playing KoFXI, hot damn is a lot due.
I enjoyed that game more than I have any other KoF since '98.
It just feels ridiculously good, BGs and music are excellent, the cast is great, and now I'm burning to get my slim PS2 modded to play imports.
There just seems to be a ton of crazy shit possible with the new engine tweaks and the speed is just perfect.

Between this and SST, hats off. You guys are finally starting to live up to the legacy. If only you could get your endless delays fixed and some more US releases, all would really be well. It makes no sense that we've gotten every other KoF here up to this point, yet there is no release in sight for the best KoF chapter since Lewinskygate...same for SST.

dakingofzumunda
06-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Having just played the arcade version twice, from my experience this is the best KoF to come in a long time. Now, I can finally enjoy the game in the comfort of my own home.

Just picked up the PStwo import today. I'm having a total blast myself. Everything just feels right. Especially the presentation. I'm a sucker for stylish menus, rocking music(K' Prime's team music is my fave so far) and awesome backgrounds. The new hardware really shows this off. Transfered over very well on the PStwo.

I can't really think of anything I don't like about this game. Everything just seems so polished. The graphics and animation are one thing but the gameplay is where it really shines. The gameplay feels so tight like the old days with the addition of new elements. You can't go wrong with this one. After so many Playmore games that failed to impress me, this one totally takes the cake. Hats off to you guys! Hope you can follow up with another awesome one in the next installment.

Btw, i'm with the bunch that thinks Magaki is one cheap bastard. They should have given him two forms where you fight him for two rounds. The first round should be his human form(white outfit) and the second with his weird freakish look.

Blue Steel
06-24-2006, 11:11 PM
This game is sick, I love it. Now trying to get all the challenges done so I can play with the Kazuya characters. I still haven't a clue how to do the dream cancels, let alone the super cancels.

Orpheus
06-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Ugh.
Does anyone know if this is at CTF.
I have got to play this shit.

BBH
06-25-2006, 12:28 AM

Totally agreed man, that's what I've been saying all along, it's by far the most fun I've had with a KoF since '98.

Still waiting for my copy to get here, instead I went to the arcade today and had a 21-game streak with King-Shen-Tizoc :lolz: would've kept going too had it not been my turn to play in the 3rd Strike tournament that was going on at the time, heh.

Moon Jump
06-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Ugh.
Does anyone know if this is at CTF.
I have got to play this shit.

Sadly no KoF11 at CTF. I wish they'd get rid of Rumble Fish 2, NOBODY PLAYS IT! Ever time I go there I'm one of the only people that play NGBC and the same goes for VF4.

beelzebubble
06-25-2006, 01:13 PM
It just feels ridiculously good, BGs and music are excellent, the cast is great, and now I'm burning to get my slim PS2 modded to play imports.
There just seems to be a ton of crazy shit possible with the new engine tweaks and the speed is just perfect.

Between this and SST, hats off. You guys are finally starting to live up to the legacy. If only you could get your endless delays fixed and some more US releases, all would really be well. It makes no sense that we've gotten every other KoF here up to this point, yet there is no release in sight for the best KoF chapter since Lewinskygate...same for SST.

what they need to do is get NBC, SST and KOFXI on fucking xbox live!

geekabilly
06-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Its starting to really piss me off that ido not own a ps2....

neojedi
06-25-2006, 04:26 PM
lol... news forum finally got a decent thread... after a 300-post thread (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130918) by clueless people on how the game sucked. :p

The new super cancels and dream cancels are ok, but the reason XI owns where 2003 was so-so is the quick-shift system. In all fighting games up until now, most combos have an ender, a move that can be followed up by nothing except watching the opponent's body float through the air and hit the ground. Yawn. Now, you don't have to end the combo until you run out of skill stocks. Either tag someone in just before the body is launched like during a ranbu, or after the body is in the air for a juggle. There are thousands of great combos that were never possible before with that system... it's what the qcf+BC in 2003 should have been, but didn't quite accomplish.

Tinieblas
06-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I got my kof 11 yesterday and I must say its better than i had expected to be, all the moves are easy to pull, grafiks are ok, musik is overall fine and finally plenty of charas to choose from.

k'_127
06-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Benimaru can connect close C with forward-B again :buttrock:

thatdemoguy
06-26-2006, 06:47 AM
I will agree this game kicks ass but I knew that back when it came out on AW. I read that old "KoF XI sucks" thread for all of 4 pages, made my comment that I would wait until my AW showed up, and stepped out of the ego battle. Now alot of people who made early assumptions from minimal play time get to actually sit down with a polished version and eat that humble pie.

Also off topic neojedi: you're in NC. I know ive asked this before but WHERE. I can't seem to find decent Neo gamers ANYWHERE around me.

O.

evasyar
06-26-2006, 07:57 AM
...also have to agree here! what a blast to play. geese howard was polished in this version. looked like an enhanced kof96 version of himself. that pride looking gihter gai, oohhh man i may have a new fave. how to connect with a combo with just the button directionals was executed pretty well. same goes with that fighter momoko, they sure fused some good combo possibilities with her with that capoeira skill. i dont get that guy silber, feels like playing that kkg guy from MOTW but maybe i need to spend more time with him.

...and then there is oswald, man what a beast this guy is! a lil rip off gambit from MvsC but welcome nonetheless. slick moveset, supers that make sense to combo. uber-great character desig, tall, lanky, arsenal of combo setups, long reach for pokes, man what a character oswald is...

verdict been and gone... kof xi :buttrock:

neojedi
06-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Also off topic neojedi: you're in NC. I know ive asked this before but WHERE. I can't seem to find decent Neo gamers ANYWHERE around me.
Durham... it's right underneath my avatar! :emb: I'll PM you local scene info in a minute.

Phoenix Down
06-26-2006, 08:24 AM
I can definitely agree. To me this is the best KoF of the Playmore era. It doesn't feel all mugen like the last few offerings but a much different game. It's also incredibly deep, so I feel like I'll play it for a long time.

I've been using the Swap Magic to play this, but I have a feeling I'll play it so much that I should just get the system modded.

NeoGeo2k2
06-27-2006, 12:13 AM
So I'm I the only one that doesnt really cared for this game....
I heard a lot of good stuff about this game, and Saw a lot of videos, they all look great, and today when I finally got it, and power it up, it just didn't feel like KOF at all.
I mean yeah it's better than KOF2k3 and maybe 2k1 but other than that.....What?
the game to me feels more like a MOTW clone and that's probably why I hated the game, Next to KOF99 my second favorite game is MOTW then 2k and 2k2 runners up.
I guess I just got all hype for this game and when I finally play it, I was like Nah...
after 30min I had enought...
Where was the magic that NGBC had, NOW that was a Masterpiece right there..
Best AW game by far.
OH well I still have 99,2k, 2k2, 97 and 98 to keep me busy for a long time..

BBH
06-27-2006, 02:37 AM
So I'm I the only one that doesnt really cared for this game....
I heard a lot of good stuff about this game, and Saw a lot of videos, they all look great, and today when I finally got it, and power it up, it just didn't feel like KOF at all.
I mean yeah it's better than KOF2k3 and maybe 2k1 but other than that.....What?
the game to me feels more like a MOTW clone and that's probably why I hated the game, Next to KOF99 my second favorite game is MOTW then 2k and 2k2 runners up.

....wait. You say it's a clone of MOTW (which I don't agree with at all, but okay), and then say that MOTW is your second-favorite game. I'm not following why you hate it then.

TemJin3000
06-27-2006, 03:36 AM
...i know its a long shot...but please, for the love of god...bring this KOF to 360 :drool:

mundocombo
06-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Ummm, kof XI it's absolutely fantastic, but i begin to be a little scared because it seems it's so easy to connect long long combos, so you stand in front of the tv without doing nothing but watching you life die...
I need to go deeper this game before being so positive.
Let's play!!!

Violent Ryo
06-27-2006, 06:10 AM
I've been saying it for months.

The is indeed the new-age classic KOF game.

BBH
06-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Ummm, kof XI it's absolutely fantastic, but i begin to be a little scared because it seems it's so easy to connect long long combos, so you stand in front of the tv without doing nothing but watching you life die...

saving shift.

Rengoku
06-27-2006, 08:13 AM
saving shift.

and damage scaling allow 100% no more

at least not so easy as vanessa's 2stocks kill in kof2k2

KOFXI is a great game..

Rengoku
06-27-2006, 10:19 AM
:conf: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVgzzsULWBI)

OMG

:annoyed: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TFWz8Mjo9E)

not so pratical for vs use

:help: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlV-u4s-ky4)

not so pratical for vs use

:shame: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl_hUniQDvI)

:blow_top: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMHQKpdUEfQ)

how many stocks????

btw all from a counter..---> not so pratical for vs
and remember that if you're hitted not from a Dm or a Leader you can quick shift

quick shift of mine

at least not so easy as vanessa's 2stocks kill in kof2k2

except shingo one

:kekeke:

NeoGeo2k2
06-27-2006, 01:56 PM
....wait. You say it's a clone of MOTW (which I don't agree with at all, but okay), and then say that MOTW is your second-favorite game. I'm not following why you hate it then.

Well MOTW is in a fight with KOF99 for the first place..:glee:
That's probably why I don't like XI because it try's to take away all that makes MOTW great.
unlike NGBC that was a whole different game.

Well I have a 3 hour Date with KOF XI today. so I might have a different opinion by tonight, but for me NGBC is by far the best AW game up to date.

BBH
06-27-2006, 05:26 PM
:conf: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVgzzsULWBI)
:annoyed: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TFWz8Mjo9E)
:help: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlV-u4s-ky4)
:shame: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl_hUniQDvI)
:blow_top: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMHQKpdUEfQ)

Adel takes damage like a pussy anyway.

Well MOTW is in a fight with KOF99 for the first place..:glee:

I can't even comprehend how someone could like '99 best out of the MVS KoF's, but okay then.

dakingofzumunda
06-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Had my own little 3 hour session yesterday with KoF XI and boy did I have a freakin ball. This incarnation of KoF has risen to my favorite SNKP fighter the last 5 years. Probably, the most fun i've had with a KoF since 98. Don't get me wrong, 2000 & 2k2 are both awesome in their own right, but the backgrounds and music(cept 2000) just don't do it for me. I've felt that way with all the recent SNKP releases. Guess, i'm just picky like that. That isn't the case with this game...

Everytime i find something mildly wrong with it or something that could have been done just a little better(annoying characters(Malin), cheap end boss A.I, etc), there's always something refreshing that turns things around and makes things feel new again. New moves, fresh characters, awesome tunes(Esaka), you name it. I mostly found the characters you can unlock to be really awesome.

I worked on getting most of the hidden Arcade characters last night. Gai has quickly become one of my faves. The whole time i thought he was a better looking Joe Higashi but found out at the end that he was the complete opposite play-wise. Then I thought, okay so he must play like Capcom's Adon. When I finally got the chance to use him, that wasn't the case either. He has a pretty unique play style. I'll keep it at different. Especially for a kickboxer type character.

Silber is another awesome addition. He's a real powerhouse when it comes to moves. I can actually feel the raw power in his hits as he pounds his opponents to the ground. A good example is that elbow smash to the ground when you throw your opponent. Ouch! He's surely not an Akuma/Gouki clone if that's what people are thinking just by looking at him.

I didn't really bother unlocking all the PStwo exclusive characters(i could care less about Mai. never liked her) but I am a real fan of Robert so I knew I had to get him. He fits really well in this game. There's really no reason for me to play NGBC anymore since most of the fighters i used in that game are in KOF XI.

KoF XI has pretty much everything i've been waiting for in a KoF game and then some. You can probably tell i'm in love with this game and if someone were to say, "Why don't you marry it then." I probably would. hehe

This is really a great start to a new style of play even if it mimics what 2003 was trying to accomplish. I'm just praying they don't screw things up in the next one. All they really have to do is expand things a little more with the roster, bring back some old faves like Andy, more MotW characters and give Iori that new sprite that everyone has been wanting for years dammit.

Anyway, good times are here again. KoF is definitely back with a knockout punch!!

Kirk Foiden
06-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Sounds like the cycle has begun anew. I could've predicted this impression of KOF XI because it's exactly the same starting impressions that KOF 2000 had from KOF 99.

You have a fresh new trilogy starting and the game engine comes around. You have some definite guff over the game engine changes with others defending the idea of change. Then the 2nd one of the trilogy comes out and the first impressions is that this is what the game before it was trying to do. Have a blasting soundtrack that people really dig. Will it remain that way? Will certain people lose interest because of exploits people find way down the line, while others work with them and still love it like 1996/2000?

If the pattern continues, KOF XII will have certain radical changes since KOF XI is the *improved on the original* part of the trilogy. And the initial impressions will probably be very divided. You'll have hardcore fans for it and ones against it after the dust blows over. Most likely, KOF XII will have the least agreeable soundtrack of the group with perhaps a couple of kickers in there due to the general crazy and or adhoc nature of the typical end to a KOF trilogy. The soundtrack might make sense *storywise*, but it wont be what many people want.

In this regard, there's a lot of this in which it's just like SNK never left, because the patterns, and player impressions, of KOF development remain precisely the same.

Now if KOF XII and *not the Dreammatch that follows it* becomes the next *universally loved* KOF of this group, then the pattern will be broken. KOF 96 is almost the exception, but the initial flak it got from the engine change, was short-lived.

hanafuda
06-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Now if KOF XII and *not the Dreammatch that follows it* becomes the next *universally loved* KOF of this group, then the pattern will be broken. KOF 96 is almost the exception, but the initial flak it got from the engine change, was short-lived.

I wonder where they can go with KOF XII though. They have already hinted that they are or will be working on it, but what are they going to do with the system?? Aside from the strikers, KOF XI is almost as far as they can go with tweaking and twisting the rules that have gone before. As such, and seen as they have already expanded on the arcade roster with the PS2 version, I can only really see them completely rehauling the system, or putting a killer cast together based on the XI system for the next game.

I love XI, but miss Yamazaki and the Oyaji team.

thatdemoguy
06-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I wonder where they can go with KOF XII though. They have already hinted that they are or will be working on it, but what are they going to do with the system?? Aside from the strikers, KOF XI is almost as far as they can go with tweaking and twisting the rules that have gone before. As such, and seen as they have already expanded on the arcade roster with the PS2 version, I can only really see them completely rehauling the system, or putting a killer cast together based on the XI system for the next game.

I love XI, but miss Yamazaki and the Oyaji team.

Imagines KoF XII having RotD style character "surrendering" for stock/life bonus and/or TEAM SPECIFIC SUPERS!!!! Where you pick specific teams with specific Leaders which allow for special triple supers. And it wouldnt just be limited to the given "standard" teams. There could be special combinations like Ash (LEADER) with his standard team (whomever that may be but lets say Oswald and Shen again) but also Ash with Shen and Duolon. Or Kyo (LEADER) with Iori and Shingo but then also Kyo (LEADER) with Benimaru and the returning Goro (one can only hope). Also to keep it from leaning towards the MAIN character or assumed Leader of a team (as in Kyo, Terry, Ash, Ryo and such) it could be mixed up by having alternate special teams with supporting characters as leaders like Yuri having a team with Mai and King or Mary having a team with Terry and Kevin (yes once again one can only hope). Now of course this would probably make some teams chosen over others but that could be offset by special requirements revolving around life/stocks/skill points or the opposing custom team could have an advantage. Also ala KoF 98 they could bring back the "buddy" system where certain characters just fit together better.

This is all just wishful thinking but I figured I would entertain the question.

O.

NeoEsZ
06-30-2006, 01:49 AM
All I fucking hope for.
Newcomers Team
Alfred, Rick, Xiangfei
Come on, Xiangfei's already done.
edit: oh yeah, i was thinking about what the hell they could do with XII.
Since the third part of the trilogy is usually ridiculously broken with a larger than usual roster ex: 97, 2001,
I see the best path being three person teams, but choosing one person as a striker, and the two other members work as tag members ala NGBC and call it the 'free for all' system. (this is really similar to Marvel vs. Capcom...except you can choose your striker and actually change who is the striker between matches).
A+C to tag, B+D to call striker.
The TDM(team devastating move) sounds like a great idea, too. Something that I'm surprised wasn't already put in XI

Rengoku
06-30-2006, 03:00 AM
the circus fighter XII?

Hot Chocolate
06-30-2006, 03:09 AM
Imagines KoF XII having RotD style character "surrendering" for stock/life bonus and/or TEAM SPECIFIC SUPERS!!!! Where you pick specific teams with specific Leaders which allow for special triple supers. And it wouldnt just be limited to the given "standard" teams. There could be special combinations like Ash (LEADER) with his standard team (whomever that may be but lets say Oswald and Shen again) but also Ash with Shen and Duolon. Or Kyo (LEADER) with Iori and Shingo but then also Kyo (LEADER) with Benimaru and the returning Goro (one can only hope). Also to keep it from leaning towards the MAIN character or assumed Leader of a team (as in Kyo, Terry, Ash, Ryo and such) it could be mixed up by having alternate special teams with supporting characters as leaders like Yuri having a team with Mai and King or Mary having a team with Terry and Kevin (yes once again one can only hope). Now of course this would probably make some teams chosen over others but that could be offset by special requirements revolving around life/stocks/skill points or the opposing custom team could have an advantage. Also ala KoF 98 they could bring back the "buddy" system where certain characters just fit together better.

O.

I like the way you think O

Timorous Scott
06-30-2006, 03:57 PM
i just ordered this, and can't to play it. did anyone else get the four bonus postcards with the game?

JDIAMOND
06-30-2006, 04:46 PM
The new-age classic KOF game.I agree.

Violent Ryo
06-30-2006, 06:13 PM
The new-age classic KOF game.I agree.

Glad u agree, but maybe KOF XII will change that...and I think it will.

I expect KOF XII to have Re-bouted sprites, and more tweaks that will compliment the XI system very well.

And maybe return of certain characters and of course some new ones.

Blue Steel
07-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm wondering what hardware XII will be released on in the arcades?

SNKNostalgia
07-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Man, after all this time I would look at KOF XI at the store for $30 and think to myself " Is this another one of those Playmore titles that gives the same medicore experience?". Then I just go buy a 360 game instead or something. I guess I'll be getting it soon. Its still a damn shame that for all the other newer titles I will have to get a PS2 HD Advance or an import PS2.

JDIAMOND
07-01-2006, 02:50 AM
XI IS a great game.If SNK would have kept there continuity up this would
have come out 5 years ago.Nonetheless I'm blown away..it's special.

NeoEsZ
07-01-2006, 11:35 PM
getting to silber is epic.

hanafuda
07-02-2006, 11:56 AM

O.

Cool.

Team specific supers and the buddy system sounds good. I really like it when they build upon the character relationships between the characters in that way, and build it into the gameplay rather than just the story.

That, the quality of KOF XI, plus the Oyaji team would do for me.

Yoshi
07-02-2006, 12:34 PM
lol... news forum finally got a decent thread... after a 300-post thread (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130918) by clueless people on how the game sucked. :pIs there, by some miracle, an arcade in the area that has this, or did you get it on PS2/AW?

neojedi
07-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Is there, by some miracle, an arcade in the area that has this, or did you get it on PS2/AW?
Nothing close by... a post on SRK said that a Chuck'E'Cheese's of all things near Winston had it. I have both PS2 and AW, but PS2 (WTF??) loads like twice as fast.

SNKNostalgia
07-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Nothing close by... a post on SRK said that a Chuck'E'Cheese's of all things near Winston had it. I have both PS2 and AW, but PS2 (WTF??) loads like twice as fast.

Hmm you know what? I never thought to even step foot at our new/only Chuck E Cheese's to check out some AW cabs. I'll check it sometime. As for the AW loading compared to PS2, that is wierd. Then again the AW is much like a Dreamcast really.

Kirk Foiden
07-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Great game, so far. However, they actually made the first KOF boss I even hate. Man can he be selectively impossible. I've literally found exploits and patterns to beat every one of them, except this one. It seems there's just no guarrantees to land a hit on him, much less keep him from raping at least 50% of your health bar from the moment he touches you in his barrage. So much to stop a combo, it isn't funny. The first boss in which I pretty much (with certain characters) practically have to give up on, even with the CPU health assist. I've tried every trick, fake, conditioning pattern I've learned through the years, no go. Nothing simple to exploit like Ignis, jumping over his head, and him doing a retaliation that makes him very open to combo city. If he wants you to win, that's when you do. Not very satisfactory to have to wait until that one time he gets stupid.

Too bad there's not one thing out there that kind of helps you with this one. Not 1 faq of info on this guys weakness. If he has one. He's not quite Johann, but he's probably 2nd place. I hope I don't have to find an infinite just to 1 credit this thing.

BBH
07-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Great game, so far. However, they actually made the first KOF boss I even hate. Man can he be selectively impossible. I've literally found exploits and patterns to beat every one of them, except this one. It seems there's just no guarrantees to land a hit on him, much less keep him from raping at least 50% of your health bar from the moment he touches you in his barrage. So much to stop a combo, it isn't funny. The first boss in which I pretty much (with certain characters) practically have to give up on, even with the CPU health assist. I've tried every trick, fake, conditioning pattern I've learned through the years, no go. Nothing simple to exploit like Ignis, jumping over his head, and him doing a retaliation that makes him very open to combo city. If he wants you to win, that's when you do. Not very satisfactory to have to wait until that one time he gets stupid.

Too bad there's not one thing out there that kind of helps you with this one. Not 1 faq of info on this guys weakness. If he has one. He's not quite Johann, but he's probably 2nd place. I hope I don't have to find an infinite just to 1 credit this thing.

the only ending I've gotten legitimately in the arcade was with the Gato-Jenet-Tizoc team. If you're lucky you can nail him over and over with Gato's hop into ground fireball thing (qcb+B/D, then A), since you can use it to pass over his projectiles and hit him. When Gato dies, abuse Jenet's E into qcb+K, and if she dies use Tizoc's dp+C grab over and over to hopefully pass over his fireballs too.

What a fucking horrible boss. If there's some universal trick to beating him with any team, I sure as hell would like to know it too.

neojedi
07-04-2006, 05:22 PM
He's not quite Johann, but he's probably 2nd place.
I never had a problem with Johann. Damage scaling works in his favor, but his blocking is horrible... I've never seen him block a combo longer than 2 or 3 hits. So if you do jumping hit, standing hit, command move, special move knockdown, meaty jumping hit, repeat, etc, you can perfect Johann. He'll escape that pattern every once in awhile, but not often enough to be challenging.

I think the nastiest boss in SNK world is Shin King Lion on Savage Reign, but (from what I've seen so far) Magaki can have 2nd place from me as well. Third would be some boss from AOF.

My only Magaki strat at the moment is wait until he puts one or preferably both blue orbs on the screen, then rush him down while dodging them. That's more of a turtle strat, though, because you have to wait until the orbs are out there. I can't see how any non-turtle strat can be dependable because if he throws the orbs after you start your attack, he'll pretty much always win. There might be something in the corner though... even with the pink stuff he uses to prevent total rushdown, I've done some serious damage a couple times after cornering him.

Kirk Foiden
07-05-2006, 12:17 AM
I never had a problem with Johann. Damage scaling works in his favor, but his blocking is horrible... I've never seen him block a combo longer than 2 or 3 hits. So if you do jumping hit, standing hit, command move, special move knockdown, meaty jumping hit, repeat, etc, you can perfect Johann. He'll escape that pattern every once in awhile, but not often enough to be challenging.

Johann is one of the bosses I usually have trouble just landing a single move on. He can simply keep you at bay the whole time with his 100% priority moves, and the small fact that Johann has absolutely no necessary recovery time on all of his moves. He can stop whatever whenever and just use whatever move that'll hit you. I'm absolutely shocked that Johann even allowed you 1 single jump in. He's not a boss to do that, normally. He can wait until you even attempt it and fireball you. I've seen litterally junk from Johann which technically showed that he really doesn't have 1 weakness unless it's by glitch. The only one I know of is the Fireball-dodge glitch. That is, with any character with a fireball, he'll actually allow them to roll in and start a combination. If and only if, they threw a fireball just before doing it. Otherwise, he would (on command) grab your character 99% of the time. The fireball achieves a flaw in the AI logic that keep the boss from attempting a throw for a second or so afterwards.

As for Magaki, one thing I do notice is that rolling behind him, with good timing, does alleviate the pressure of his ability to pull out the almighty pink stuff to hit you with. He can only hit stuff in front of him, with it. Shooting the pink orbs is when you really can't attack. You can roll in to get closer, but since they track you and come back at you, any attack you do will get you hit by them (or worse, he may combo you with that and the pink ooze attack for a nice quite 50-75 percent combination. So you kind of have to wait. The blue orbs are invincible until they leave the screen, so i tend to use that time to normally roll behind him. You can get lucky and jump right at the moment he forms the orb, hoping he does the low one, and you get a free hit before he can form the 2nd orb. However, he has 2 common counters for that. 1. It could be the high orb, and 2. He may likely form 1 blue orb and use the pink attack of doom to damage you and throw you back.

Getting to his back is a bit safer, as he only has one real defense against it, his barrage of teleports, which he will use from time to time. However, be very careful with doing special moves from his back. Too overzealous and you'll hit one of his blue orbs which can hit folk behind him, until it travels.

My personal best against him, so far, is with the Kyokugen Team. Not a win at full power, but at least 80% of his full life bar. He may, as usual for SNK bosses, have a weakness against throw characters as I was able to do considerably more throws on him, with Tizoc, than I would expect. Which would mean, he'd suffer the typical Ikari warriors weakness. Especially with the standard rule that during any throw, no characters can be hit by anything until the throw is finished. (Can we say orb avoidance?) *sigh* Must they be the best boss-beating team...again? :) :) :)

NeoEsZ
07-05-2006, 01:38 AM
I think Silber is number 1 in this game. I almost legitmately perfected Magaki using him.

thatdemoguy
07-05-2006, 02:41 AM
PERFECT JOHANN STRAT: Jump in deep SK, Crouching SK. Its that simple. He WILL NOT BLOCK IT!!! Just after the first knockdown you get time your jump-ins so that he has to block the SK as he is getting up then instantly do a crouching SK. You will get a perfect on him.

PERFECT MAGAKI STRAT (ALMOST): Command grabs are his weakness. Super jump over his blue orbs and command grab him. The advantage to this is that if he does the second blue orb it will go through you b/c you cant be hit out of a command grab.

O.

Fakk2
07-10-2006, 02:11 AM
I admit, this is the best KOF in along time to come out. I love the movement in the game, every move is easy to pull off and precise. The Music is top notch and sounds much like what I'd expect from a Neo-Geo (IF the Neo did Digimusic in Stereo) and I love the sprites (a little soft looking even at the sharpest setting) but still overall just like a Neo-Geo so I love it.

The backgrounds are a little too Dreamcast looking for me, but overall it looks ok, but not what I was hoping for in a 2D Neo-Geo style KOF game. I was hoping the Backgrounds would look more like the HELL stage graphics in SS Tenka (old look), but I can live with this new DC look I suppose. :P I just like the older look better so Im glad the Sprites still look like Neo-Geo quality, but when they start to look like new Dreamcast sprites Ill move on from SNKP.

Overall I do like this new KOF XI better than 2001 and 2002, but 2000 and 2k3 are better IMO. But this game is definately worth picking up for me. I hope SNKP get KOF XII right like this one. :) Hell, this game even has Red Blood when Iori slashes at people and Im all for Red Blood! ;)

Fantastic work on the Cut Scenes as well, I like it alot! Now SNKP just needs to bring it to the PS2 in the USA! I'll import the Japanese PS2 version for now.

My Thanks goes out to SNKP for FINALLY making a true SNK Quality game for us!
Now release it on Neo-Geo dammit! :) Im itching for another NEW Neo-Geo game SNKP!

Kiske
07-21-2006, 12:35 PM
XI is quite good; at least on par with NGBC but not as good as KOF 2k2 IMO.