Consoleized MVS: picture keeps rolling

mrchafe

Mr. Big's Thug
My MV-1F arrived today and so me and a friend have wired up a SCART connector to output an RGB picture so we can use a regular TV. (We're in the UK so this should work)

Amazingly it almost works, except the picture constantly rolls. We've wired it up according to this via a SCART connector, all colours come out okay, but the picture is rolling uncontrollably.

If anybody has any ideas as to how to fix this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Try grounding the sync line through a 0.1-50 uF cap. The # does make a difference, so try a couple.

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
Try it on another TV. There are some TVs in Europe that work only with 50Hz synch and if your MVS is 60Hz, the picture will roll and there is nothing you can do except try another TV. I would try the caps suggested earlier in this thread though. I have never heard of that one before, but if it works please let me know.

Have you been able to run any other 60Hz equipment on this TV before without a rolling picture? Like NTSC SNES, NTSC Neo Geo AES or something?

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yeah I would say it's the tv that is the problem. I sold a modded aes to a guy a while ago, which worked fine on my tv but didn't work properly on his. He tried it on a different tv and it was fine. Some tv's just don't like 60Hz and it's not always the older models.

mrchafe

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks for all the advice. I'll hook up the MVS tonight to a TV that I know works in 60Hz mode and hopefully all will be well, otherwise I'll try the cap trick and see how that goes. Thanks for your help so far!

(and Adamaki, love the MVS in your sig!)

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Did you get this sorted mrchafe ? I had the same problem with a 2-slot running RGB via SCART and found left to right picture roll on every tv I tested on.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Just for the record.

Sorry-dont mean to split hairs. Accademic really

MVS vertical frequency is actually 59.185608 Hz as opposed to 60 Hz straight as used on a lot of jamma boards

mrchafe

Mr. Big's Thug
Bad news I'm afraid - still no fun, even though I've now tried connecting it to two TVs that I know work happily with my Dreamcast and GameCube when set to 60Hz mode. One of them displays on-screen that it's in RGB mode, but displays no picture; the other just keeps on rolling.

I might try the capacitor if I get the chance, but does anybody see anything I'm doing that seems silly?

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
D-Lite said:
Try grounding the sync line through a 0.1-50 uF cap. The # does make a difference, so try a couple.

I'm also having a similar issue. Are you suggesting that you put a cap in the sync line, or the ground line? I don't understand, "grounding the sync line." Sorry if I seem dense, but I thought I would ask for clarification. Mine is not a supergun, but I have it hooked up to a Sony PSOne LCD.

mrchafe

Mr. Big's Thug
If I sent my current JAMMA harness to one of you on the forums, would anybody be able to take a look at it / test it with their MVS and see if they can figure out the problem? I'd be more than happy to pay shipping etc. if somebody could kindly spare the time to give it a look-over.

mrchafe

Mr. Big's Thug
Bad news I'm afraid. We've tried with a 10 and a 1µF capacitor with no real change - a slight change in the pattern but otherwise still no vertical hold. Generally on sync at all.

nagrom

New Challenger
Do you know if your setup includes a lm1881 circuit ?
If not, maybe you can give a try.

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Dunno if this helps - I used to have problems with the scrolling screen......
I wire it like this (the number denotes the scart pin number):

Red= 15
Green= 11
Blue= 7
Sync= 20
Video Gnd= 17
Audio L= 6
Audio Gnd= 4
Audio R= 2
+5v via a 100 ohm resistor= 16

Hope it works out......think this is ok as it's from memory and I'm at work......