SNKPlaymore give up Atomiswave
No more 2D samsho series

http://ffl.sakura.ne.jp/index.htm

Wolferaizer
06-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Wat a waste. :(

DevilRedeemed
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
wonder if they'll continue making 2D games - and for what hardware?
SNKP isn't worth two shits anymore in my book so it's not like it's a big deal.

jeff bogard
06-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Can anybody translate it, I read some of it on google's translator....

billd420
06-22-2006, 01:39 PM

In an interview, Falcoon had said they'll continue making 2-D games, even if they are the only developer out there doing it.

This marks the death of the Atomiswave. I really dont' see anything new that is worthwhile comming out for this system.

kernow
06-22-2006, 01:54 PM

heh

who cares what hardware? , I mean, who cares if 2D dies a shitty death

KagerouSama
06-22-2006, 02:23 PM
heh

who cares what hardware? , I mean, who cares if 2D dies a shitty death
2D can't die. It just can't! :crying:

Gotenks326
06-22-2006, 02:35 PM
:oh_no:

(Awesome sig, billd420)

Lets Gekiga In
06-22-2006, 03:32 PM
This comes as no surprise. :(

Violent Ryo
06-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Did they say what's next as far as hardware?

2D isn't going to die yet, and if it is to die, it probably won't die completely, meaning 1 or 2 games a year from different developers maybe.

Fran
06-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Can anybody translate it, I read some of it on google's translator....

i didn't translate that myself,so don't think i can speak japanese or something

-

they do want to make new 2d fighters

they do not want to let the samurai spirits series die,
but a new sequel could be in 2d or even 3d

they mention a sequel to motw and a new NGBC

they say they listen to what the fans say / ask but can't make everyone happy

limited budgets are the main problem

they are making svc card ds

different approaches to different markets ( he's talking about the next gen systems - wii,360,psx 3 )

Ruell
06-22-2006, 04:10 PM
meh oh well. Die Atomiswave Die

P00t
06-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Just bought an AW to consolize, I actually want to play a few games for a change on a different system.

Hopefully the prices will come down, I really fancy that 'Ranger Mission' that looks like a great party game :chimp:

Jesterzzn
06-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I think this is kinda a good thing. I mean, its not like a whole bunch of stellar games were in the works anyway. At the very least it means in the coming months thousands of atmoiswave systems should be hitting the secondary markets as japanese arcades start liquidating their stock.

geekabilly
06-22-2006, 09:37 PM
MOTW 2?? I hope you not messing with out heads.
Can we get a total traslation of the page?

CarlosZ
06-22-2006, 09:39 PM
at first i was like "oh great" on second thought it WILL go down in price. Then i can pick a consolized! cheaper anyway

geekabilly
06-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Ok here is the best i could do enjoy..

* SNK play moa surely ま story compilation

* Something related to neo GeoCities online collection

FFL entire patsy
瑞 shoal Ryo With the neo GeoCitiesonline collection, KOF ' 98, has KOF2002 been planned the sale with the single item? Or is sale in the pack planned? In addition as for recording contents, neo GeoCities edition and consumer edition and 2 versions it probably is to be the schedule which is prepared?

Powdered tea ユサ Of course planning the single item, because now the sushi, it plans with the single item, to that we would like to make suitable contents, you think that is. Simply, if normal neo GeoCities edition and DC edition and the っ て you happen to think, don't you think?. Original edition joins to that, in addition + α joins separately and/or with would like to do with the feeling which is said, you think that is.

FFL painter あ In addition so, don't you think? it is to be possible be able to expect considerable volume rise?
After all because it is title of former times, you think a little unless volume is acquired, it is not good, that is. The ほ and others, there is no number there is no, is or, because it is one. Thereforeit seems like THE KING OFFIGHTERS '94 RE-BOUT, or we would like to acquire volume more, you think that is.

Is neo GeoCities online collection THE KING OF FIGHTERS - the ネスツ compilation- concerning, but as for the boss character neo GeoCities edition mode and DC (the dream cast) edition mode, it probably is to be able to use with all modes such as CPU game and opposition?

Neo GeoCities doctor The doctor this boss character that we would like to try to be able to use with neo GeoCities edition mode and dream cast edition mode all mode, you speak with the method of developing. Still, whether or not it can actualize that, is not clear, but somehow, that we would like to try it is possible, don't you think? is.

In the movie at the time of software starting of the neo GeoCities online collection, the gamepicturesuch as ワールドヒーローズ, ニンジャマスターズ and the winds super tag battle appears, but it probably is to be the schedule where also those series are transplanted?

Feeling fully is!Of course, ' ワールドヒーローズ ' not only, we would like to put out grapple title entirely, when is. Whether or not that is possible, it depends on the advance condition of demand forecasting and future job. Thinking, that so we would like to put out privately entirely, it increases.

* New work conception
You asked samuraispirits that public onesword customer transmission is designated as the 2D last work, but is there a possibility in the future new samurai spirits coming out with 3D?

Always, there is the possibility. Clearly, being how not to be able to say, however it does, cannot be, that the brand itself ends, is.
Title of アトミスウェイブ finishing appearing entirely, because pause it has been attached, it does not change also the manner of development it has become necessary from now on. In the sense end, with changing probably will do, you point to the expression which is said.

... Because you do not know, whether the market permits, being not to be able to say at all, however it does, always we would like to make with thinking, now the sushi and preparation have done the new work.

Being to become verification, it does, but do the samurai spirits of 2 D being not to be do the schedule which is already put out?

After all,when we would like to make what unless we would like to make is not, the fan being kana to want does what. We being oneself satisfactory, being the place where it made, when the fan does not do, because there is no meaning, depending upon you can move aside some voice, it is the け り and, inquiring about that, the variety you must think, you think that is.
If so, demand is strong, when it can be?

But, saying, that it is strong, being not to be recognized, it does, don't you think?. The voice っ て which is heard at the various places, being everyone basically to be different, it does. The fact that first it is not because, with, the everyone means the same thing, when among those what is done, being not to be it does the clear image most probably.
Don't you think? the opinion oven of user side those which have not stopped.
Everyone opinion is infinite variety and, being not to be possible, to fill up that entirely, don't you think? it is perplexed.
Don't you think? the work and the like which makes all 2 D grapple game fans agree upon, you do not happen to think at all.
Being to like to know greatest common divisor, it does, but being there is no the expedient it does, don't you think?.
Is there the schedule whichissues the continuation of the neo GeoCities battle colloseum? As in the masterpiece which last year release is done one after another become a little tend to hide, it is the title which is visible, but it seems that the user where as for contents the person who appraises that it is very good, is many, expects the continuation is many.
Presently the net the one which opposes, "it is funnier enormously with MMBB. When "" here like this is adjusted, it becomes a better game. "Such opinion is recognized is enormous.
Of course, when there is demand, being to be proper, it does, that it becomes the feeling that we would like to answer everything, but it becomes judgement of the company whether in some order it can designate that as some wind. There was also a may aspect and, it is possible to do 2 with that, whether or not is, as for, whether argument becomes necessary, with you think, die.
It is the difficult place, don't you think?.
It meaning that the story of 餓wolf MARK OF THE WOLVES is not completed, however it does, is there a possibility the continuation being issued?
Decisively, whether or not ' MARK OF THE WOLVES ' 2 comes out, as for being not to be able to say, however it does, simply you must keep drawing the continuation of the story which is not completed, you feel that. We would like to provide the opportunity which keeps doing the kind revealing of that story somewhere when is. If as for that ' MARK OF THE WOLVES ' 2 is not and also the て, keeps hauling with the southern town connection, because it can express even with the other game, you devise also the technique classified by such.
Being presently to be in the midst of favorable comment transmitting, to be the contentsof portable application of the SNKplay moa, it does, but is the fact that in the future it is transplanted in the general game machine probably certain?
Because the application of romantic love simulation well enough is popularity, when we assume that you do, you think as the kana which is not to be a place where that is closest.
As for this question being to be something from the overseas reader, however it does, as for the foreign country it seems that cannot do the Japanese portable application and, because there is an environment where either errand cannot play carrying other than Ezweb and the like, if it becomes the environment which everyone can play with, everyone it seems that eagerly desires.
Now we doing with FOMA, being to make transplantation, it can be less crowded and though, time of verification taking long, EZweb how many there is a problematical point that, transplantation speed does not rise easily, FOMA becomes by any means first. Very you do not attach to expectation and the て, there is no excuse you think that is.
In the past, the adventure game ' ATHENA which is sold withPS' is the continuation probably not to come out? You think that also setting and atmosphere etc. of the time before are good, and, the recent play moa has challenged to also various genres not only grapple, being to like to see, to be, when we want making by all means, you receive demand.
Because as for such, you think, that it is something which after all is suited for portable application in the future you intend probably to keep picking up. Athena's before this rearing gamebeing to put out "ATHENAON STAGE ", however it does, following to that, in addition in July the "Athena full throttle" it is transmission schedule. The latest title the first ' Athena ' is the action game which is made motif.
After all, because the character "of the KOF" time before Sawayama it is, what would like to keep doing also the fact that light is allowed to shine to that debut work, such free can make is the portable game and, as for the current terminal there is also Capa who can transplant the game of former times in existing form. With that direction as for the possibility the variety of keeping doing you think that it is.
In the arcade of these days, it seems that the game which produces the woman character extensively increases, but the grapple game ovenonly is of the womancharacter likeSNK ギャルズファイターズ from the SNK play moa is a possibility in the future of coming out?
Being there is no ginger which we would like to do it does, don't you think? (laughing). When we assume that you do, causing in 3 D, because you think, that it is necessary to do to seem lovely, to トゥーン processing, unless applying time rather, kana.

* One question one answer system
Is sex of character"Kurogoutidreamland " of samurai spirits the man? It is the woman?
It is,this thinks when it is the man, the doctor. ... Now it is in the midst of verifying, (laughing).
It is question concerning the neo GeoCities battle colloseum. The mediation, crith was in オロチ, but is the boy who appears in the appearance scene which becomes mediation of ミズチ probably to be the clone of the crith? If something there is setting, hearing it makes be effective and can ask?

ノナ Is not the clone of the crith, is. That when you say whether ミズチ itself is what don't you think? is, being to be even officially, however it does, only the part that, as a setting for the present it is the weapon which was made in WAREZ, it is not, is.
So, don't you think? it is to be that that boy itself WAREZ made?
It is, so is. It means being the boy who was made as the weapon.
Is the slot game of the play moa probably that transmission with portable application and transplantation to the other consumer equipment are not? In addition the character of the slot game, is a possibility of participating to the KOF series of the grapple game, probably will be?
From the other daythe slot simulator applicationof KOF is transmitted with FOMA. With this it becomes 2 flat knots. Because in the future gradually the type of slot increases, making transplantation on portable application you intend probably to keep constantly.
In addition, examining also the simulator related to consumer, it is not decisive concretely, now the sushi, main development schedule of what, but you are always inserting in range of vision. Is that and in regard to the character, but it has been about that the character of our slots probably will make SNK play moa original ones to the last. Whether or not it becomes "KOF", it is not understood, but those come returning to the game, you think that it can be.
When the character of the slot participates to KOF, however funny so is.
When it is NBC and the like, whether it is possible to participating the っ て you think. When it is KOF, after all also binding the story it is if and, that character it puts out, old キ ャ ラ it puts out, with the voice which is said to be large being the っ ちゃ っ て to be.
Whetherthey are what ones tell the opportunity which holds KOF year-end party, you can ask, probably will be?
First, commemorating tenth anniversaries, one. Because the market has finished to mature, it was also we want the opportunity which something comes in contact in order to reflect such voice.As a SNK play moa, being also the motive to be, whether like of the time before probably will not be good resetting the contact pointof the fan, it began.
I participating, being to enjoyvery much, it does, but fan service was enormous, don't you think? is.
Because the current grapple game the person who is popular has been decided, doing not to look at the user, you look at where, it means it is being. Because the other person is does not do anymore, don't you think?. Therefore very,how it can keep cooperating with the people of the grapple game fan, you think that it becomes the deciding factor of future title development.
In the future,is therea possibility of doing the collaboration of カプコン?
Of course it is. This timethe SVC card FightersDS are produced and, you think as the fog wax in other things.
Being not to come out it does the grapple game?

Various, you do not know that it does not try consulting, is. Don't you think? at present time it is undecided.

It moves to Xbox360, PS3 and Wii of the next generation machine and when the time when it keeps comes, main it keeps producing which hard, we hearing, it may, probably will be?

That you do not look at ・ ・ ・ circumstances, you do not understand whether change of the market and, some hard may win, is. Naturally circumstance it differs even in the foreign country and the country and, the extent which game manufacturer っ て now can foresee ahead such, being not to be able to see the thing with the long span, it does. Because the market keeps changing directly, don't you think?.

... Question is above. For a long time, time cutting, thank you for.
As for this day, while being busy, according to interview, furthermore and valuable doing story, thank you truly!

All

Thank you.

lachlan
06-22-2006, 10:12 PM
I couldn't understand what the hell they were talking about, it didnt make sence.
MOTW2, hopefully we'll see it released.

J0e Musashi
06-23-2006, 12:19 AM
This marks the death of the Atomiswave. I really dont' see anything new that is worthwhile comming out for this system.

meh oh well. Die Atomiswave Die

I think this is kinda a good thing. I mean, its not like a whole bunch of stellar games were in the works anyway. At the very least it means in the coming months thousands of atmoiswave systems should be hitting the secondary markets as japanese arcades start liquidating their stock.

at first i was like "oh great" on second thought it WILL go down in price. Then i can pick a consolized! cheaper anyway

You people do realise that Atomiswave isn't owned by SNKP right? I don't see how this will affect prices or availability at all.

freak
06-23-2006, 01:14 AM
You people do realise that Atomiswave isn't owned by SNKP right? I don't see how this will affect prices or availability at all.

Sega-Sammy's already planned for Aurora to take over from the AW for low end arcade games.

Razoola
06-23-2006, 01:16 AM
This isn't a surprise.. They probably quickly realised they could sell more units on the NeoGeo. If they had any sence they would go back to NeoGeo and release games for it and then release the same game on consoles/handheld via emulation (full emulation of AES verswion). That would really cut down on costs for actually making the games.

Raz

ForeverSublime
06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
What exactly is that news about new Athena games? I was a fan of Psycho Soldier and Athena for the arcade.

Jesterzzn
06-23-2006, 01:22 AM
You people do realise that Atomiswave isn't owned by SNKP right? I don't see how this will affect prices or availability at all.Well, what other companies are still making games for it? None as far as I can tell. Considering its just a repackaged dreamcast, and sega has recently announced a new arcade board, why would you think it still has any life?

If nobody is making games for it, doesn't it follow that arcades will start phasing it out?

ForeverSublime
06-23-2006, 01:28 AM
Well, what other companies are still making games for it? None as far as I can tell. Considering its just a repackaged dreamcast, and sega has recently announced a new arcade board, why would you think it still has any life?

If nobody is making games for it, doesn't it follow that arcades will start phasing it out?

No.

Considering 3 of the top 10 arcade money-makers are on Atomiswave, no.

J0e Musashi
06-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Sega-Sammy's already planned for Aurora to take over from the AW for low end arcade games.

Do you actually know this as fact? Dinosaur King is the only title that uses the hardware. The hardware is not JAMMA compatible, I fail to see how it can be the direct replacment for AW.

Jesterzzn
06-23-2006, 01:34 AM
3 of the top 10? Where can I see those figures? Not that I don't believe you, that's just news to me.

J0e Musashi
06-23-2006, 01:36 AM
3 of the top 10? Where can I see those figures? Not that I don't believe you, that's just news to me.

Check a trade mag. FOTNS, MS6 and KOF XI will be right there.

Stifu
06-23-2006, 01:38 AM
This isn't a surprise.. They probably quickly realised they could sell more units on the NeoGeo. If they had any sence they would go back to NeoGeo and release games for it and then release the same game on consoles/handheld via emulation (full emulation of AES verswion). That would really cut down on costs for actually making the games.

Raz
I don't think so... Not only would that feel like a downgrade (no more transparency, smooth zooms, etc... I would mention high-res backgrounds, but they're not that much of an improvement), but also, recent ports have been much more than a straight conversion of the originals.
If they wanted to make more games on the NeoGeo, they shouldn't have left it in the first place, now there's no turning back...
Let's wait and see what they announce KoF XII for.

Fygee
06-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Here's what TRIEU posted on S-C.com

In the original agreement, which was not disclosed publicly, SNK Playmore and Sammy agreed on 6 titles for the Atomiswave. SNK Playmore agreed to produce these 6 titles for Sammy to return some 'favors', which also wasn't mentioned publicly either.

In May 2003, SNK at the time did have plans on releasing a successor to the Neo Geo (after their agreement with Sammy was fulfilled for the Atomiswave), but it all depended on market conditions, which at the current time is dismal.

Presently, SNK Playmore has not confirmed/decided on what their next move in the arcade sector will be. The announcement might happen at the JAMMA AM Show in September 2006 (Tokyo). So until then, SNK Playmore will be focusing on the home console market.

Expect more titles coming out for PS2...for the U.S. Market...shortly.

There's your answer for the end to Atomiswave support.

Raz

Not necessarily. As far as I know, there are no Atomiswave bootlegs, which means SNKP earned every cent for every unit sold, rather than losing them to pirate markets. To go back to the Neo-Geo would reopen the flood gates for piracy.

That, and it would be a huge step backward for them. They're finally getting somewhat comfortable with hardware that isn't ancient, and are no doubt enjoying some of the freedom available without the Neo-Geo's limitations on gameplay, visuals, and sound.

It took them 14 odd years to successfully move forward from their original platform, and they'd be wise not to stop.

In a perfect world, they'd make some high quality 3D games for the home consoles for the main stream audience to enjoy and to rake in the cash, while keeping the 2D arcade/hobbyist audience happy by putting the extra cash into developing the awesome 2D games we all know any love.

Regardless of what happens, we should all be glad that SNKP wishes to keep the 2D genre alive, no matter what. Not even Capcom does that anymore.

freak
06-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Do you actually know this as fact? Dinosaur King is the only title that uses the hardware. The hardware is not JAMMA compatible, I fail to see how it can be the direct replacment for AW.

Well, I sort of wonder sometimes that it will happen or not,

but Sega-Sammy' original concept to develop Aurora is just a system that should appeal to all independent studios that have become fans of the Naomi GD-ROM platform, and are loathed to downgrade to the AW.

roker
06-23-2006, 02:31 AM
Regardless of what happens, we should all be glad that SNKP wishes to keep the 2D genre alive, no matter what. Not even Capcom does that anymore.

that's what it sounded like in the Falcoon interview a few months ago

I think Capcom likes 2D more than most people think

the Hyper SFA was a indication that there may be some life left in Capcom after all

Hot Chocolate
06-23-2006, 02:39 AM
that's what it sounded like in the Falcoon interview a few months ago

I think Capcom likes 2D more than most people think

the Hyper SFA was a indication that there may be some life left in Capcom after all

I had wondered about that myself, add in both of the SF collections and the Classic collection vols dare I say that Capcom were testing the waters to see if they should make another 2D installment of either a current franchise( SF as who wouldn't pick that up ) or a older one we haven't seen in a while( Captain Commando, Bionic Commando, etc. )

freak
06-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Iggy@mmcafe has summarized the interview here:
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/12127.shtml

FTL
06-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Not necessarily. As far as I know, there are no Atomiswave bootlegs, which means SNKP earned every cent for every unit sold, rather than losing them to pirate markets. To go back to the Neo-Geo would reopen the flood gates for piracy.

Problem is, atomiswave sales were/are lackluster to say the least.
No profit there to be made at all,developing games for ignored systems.

Any arcade operator owns neo geo boards and carts on the other hands and that is why razoola 's comment is really interesting.

Amano Jacu
06-23-2006, 03:04 AM
Problem is, atomiswave sales were/are lackluster to say the least.
No profit there to be made at all,developing games for ignored systems.

Any arcade operator owns neo geo boards and carts on the other hands and that is why razoola 's comment is really interesting.

Problem is, as Fygee says, that any Neo Geo game gets bootlegged and emulated just hours after its release, and Razoola knows that very well. I don't see any chance for the MVS to make a comeback. If the AW isn't supported anymore then they'll move to this Aurora or something else. Or just kill the arcade market and produce the games directly for PS2.

FTL
06-23-2006, 03:17 AM
I'm sure new solutions could be used against bootleggers.

Arcade market is dead and the only way to see some more titles released for it is just to use hardware that ALREADY is in the arcades worldwide(and atomsiwave is simply unknown/ignored by arcade ops, in a worldwide perspective)

Operators will NOT buy any new expensive hardware since it won't simply make any profit at all,factored all the costs in.

Fygee
06-23-2006, 03:38 AM
As far as the Neo-Geo is concerned, I don't see how they could do anything to deter bootleggers. Any new 16-bit file encryption would be considered a joke and half in this day and age of 128-bit encryption. They'd have to install some sort of explosive device that deploys whenever a cartridge is opened or is used in any unofficial MVS/AES device.

As long as boots, or the risk of boots exist, arcade operators will almost always go the shady route since boots are cheaper and weild the exact same product. Why should SNKP line the pockets of some douchebag like BillyJr (for those who remember him) and lose massive amounts of profit?

While operators would save money simply buying MVS kits like the good old days, games developed on a 16 year old system wouldn't exactly pack the crowds in, particularly since the system is already considered dead. No people = no dinero. There needs to be something reasonably new and flashy to attract a crowd. That's how all the popular 3D fighters get spots in whatever's left of arcades. Not to say that SNKP should convert to 3D of course, but they need to at least keep themselves on what's considered the higher end of the 2D spectrum.

Unless they come up with a powerful yet cheap system for a hardware platform to build on, arcade operators will just have the bite the bullet and take a risk, or pass.

Amano Jacu
06-23-2006, 04:03 AM
I'm sure new solutions could be used against bootleggers.

Sorry, they already tried their best, even pissing everybody in this board by releasing the games in pcb format first, and no dice. KOF 03 used new encryptation and it was a joke. Razoola has said many times the nature of the hardware itself makes it very easy nowadays to bootleg it. Since you can do all sort of stuff to the bios, it can have positive benefits (like the unibios), but it also has a dark side, as you can use it as a trojan horse to get whatever info you need displayed on screen or whatever.

kernow
06-23-2006, 06:15 AM
but it also has a dark side, as you can use it as a trojan horse to get whatever info you need displayed on screen or whatever.

OCP RUNS THE COPS!

BBH
06-23-2006, 06:30 AM
OCP RUNS THE COPS!

Directive 4 = ????????????

kernow
06-23-2006, 06:38 AM
640K RAM USED
COMMAND.COM LOADING

hanafuda
06-23-2006, 09:55 AM
They weren't giving much away in that interview.

Other than saying they are working on the new Cardfighters Clash, and that their run of Atomisgames is over, pretty much nothing else other that they won't rule out sequels to SS, NBC, and Garou.

jeff bogard
06-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Although in theory it might seem for SNK to move back to MVS for profits, it is unlikely.

I can see razoola's point of view, nevertheless, I don't see them returning to that hardware.

I"m pretty sure they'll work for whatever Sega moves to next, give their so called undisclosed deal w/ Sammy.

After the announcement of them no longer makin Slugs on Atmomiswave i wasn't gonna be surprised if they would abandon Atomiswave altogether. Im actually shocked this came to news for everybody (seemed logical to me).

For some strange reason, I feel that most of their profits now are coming from PS2 releases, cell phone games and pachinko machines. I dont' seem them abandoning Arcades completely for now, I'm pretty sure they're studying which market is going to be best suited to publish their games (high profile games KoF XII, etc.).

And I'm guessing this is where next gen online distribution and competition take a higher interest.

Whether we'll be able to download the next KoF on360, Wii, or PS3, is only for the market to reflect. So far, Live Arcade seems interesting, but let's wait til November...

There's also AMOA show (or JAMMA) coming up this year. Hopefully SNKP will explain their absence from last year....

kernow
06-23-2006, 11:10 AM
pretty much nothing else other that they won't rule out sequels to SS, NBC, and Garou.

suprise! more shitty sequels!

who was it who said years ago they should go back to MVS

it was me.

thanks guys

lachlan
06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
At the end of the day I don't care if the sequels are even quality ones, anything is better than nothing in this dying genre of 2D gaming.

kernow
06-23-2006, 11:26 AM
At the end of the day I don't care if the sequels are even quality ones, anything is better than nothing in this dying genre of 2D gaming.

no, no you're wrong.

anything is not better than nothing in this dying genre

when will people realise a good game is a good game, regardless of media used.. 2d or 3d?

playing a 2d game because its 2d, if its shitty, is just D U M B

Frankfurt
06-23-2006, 11:26 AM
who was it who said years ago they should go back to MVS

A retard.

it was me.

Like i said, a retard.

thanks guys

You're welcome.

lachlan
06-23-2006, 11:33 AM
no, no you're wrong.

anything is not better than nothing in this dying genre

So we just settle with whats currently out and end it now?
Pfft SNKP's games are decent enough to play.

You're entitled to your opinion but a lot of people would love to see MOTW2 even if it isn't better than the original, atleast it's something.

jeff bogard
06-23-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm not really too excited about Garou 2, I actually like it to be a one time series (like Galaxy Fight), and recently Chaos and NGBC.

I really wouldn't want them to have sequels.

I think they can have more ideas on crossovers with other properties.

that and a new IP would be nice.

freak
06-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Iggy@mmcafe has summarized the interview here:
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/12127.shtml

Well, to make it easy for you guys:

Originally Posted by Iggy @ mmcafe

- The nests hen will have the NG version, the DC version, plus something else. Bonus.

- There are still plans to relase a WH collections, Fun, and other NG games.

- Tenkaichi was supposed to be the last 2D Samurai Spirits, but ultimately, the point is not what SNK wants to do, but what the fans want to play. So they will listen, and develop accordingly.

- Nejibako 2 ? "maybe".

- MOTW2 ? "maybe not MOTW 2, but definitely a game that will expand and end the story began in MOTW."

- They would like to do a game with only the SNK heroins. Maybe in 3D.

- Yumeji might very well be a man.

- The young man that becomes mizuchi is not Chris's clone ; it's a weapon created by WAREZ.

- It is not impossible to have another collaboration with Capcom.

- They are waiting to see how the 360/PS3/Wii do to make definitive decisions about them.

Originally Posted by TRIEU @ S-C

In the original agreement, which was not disclosed publicly, SNK Playmore and Sammy agreed on 5 titles for the Atomiswave. SNK Playmore agreed to produce these 5 titles for Sammy to return some 'favors', which also wasn't mentioned publicly either.

In May 2003, SNK at the time did have plans on releasing a successor to the Neo Geo (after their agreement with Sammy was fulfilled for the Atomiswave), but it all depended on market conditions, which at the current time is dismal.

Presently, SNK Playmore has not confirmed/decided on what their next move in the arcade sector will be. The announcement might happen at the JAMMA AM Show in September 2006 (Tokyo). So until then, SNK Playmore will be focusing on the home console market.

Razoola
06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
I understand about the NeoGeo piracy problem but to be totally honest they can easily fix that by having a protected co processor on the game cart. At the end of the day its all about how many units of a game they can sell, not if a game has fancy zooming or sound effects. Sure games on updated hardware may look nicer but it is a waste when you use recycled gfx from neogeo. For me personally I like the level of gfx the NeoGeo provides, I like a game to be a game and not as real life as possible by using high resolutions.

Raz

kernow
06-23-2006, 12:39 PM
I understand about the NeoGeo piracy problem but to be totally honest they can easily fix that by having a protected co processor on the game cart. At the end of the day its all about how many units of a game they can sell, not if a game has fancy zooming or sound effects. Sure games on updated hardware may look nicer but it is a waste when you use recycled gfx from neogeo. For me personally I like the level of gfx the NeoGeo provides, I like a game to be a game and not as real life as possible by using high resolutions.

Raz

agreed totally, they could still use the MVS.

but I'm "retarded" for thinking so

its retarded to have ever left MVS, they can't handle anything else :annoyed:

Stifu
06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
agreed totally, they could still use the MVS.

but I'm "retarded" for thinking so
You don't care if 2D dies pitifully, and don't care either for "shitty sequels"... Why would you care even if they switched back to MVS ? That's not gonna happen anyway... Mark my words.

its retarded to have ever left MVS, they can't handle anything else :annoyed:

SNK Playmore didn't handle the Atomiswave any less well than the Neo Geo. Their games for both systems were average, although the Atomiswave ones are probably better overall... But that may not be related to the system, just the fact they're slowly getting better.

Big Shady
06-23-2006, 01:40 PM
So back to MVS we go?

kernow
06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
So back to MVS we go?

I doubt it

but I did predict that years ago

and I'd love to be right,

ForeverSublime
06-23-2006, 02:23 PM
So we just settle with whats currently out and end it now?
Pfft SNKP's games are decent enough to play.

You're entitled to your opinion but a lot of people would love to see MOTW2 even if it isn't better than the original, atleast it's something.

You're completely forgetting the fact that most people are wrong.

billd420
06-23-2006, 02:48 PM

Considering SNK/P put out 3 of the 4 newest titles, I'd say that they impact the system quite a bit. With the main 3d party publisher pulling out, it is up to Sega/Sammy to come through with worthwhile titles. I just really dont' see this happening, thus the atomiswave will go down in flames.

Ramad
06-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Um, no. They're not going to go back to the MVS. The MVS is ancient hardware. It is easily piratable. Moving backwards would be foolish. I don't understand why they would leave the Atomiswave hardware (unless they move to another platform that is inexpensive to develop and program for), but SNKP is definitely not going back to the MVS.

BIG BEAR
06-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Independent Jamma Boards
DONE.
-BB

aria
06-23-2006, 04:04 PM
The "beloved" Atomiswave... in trouble!

Quick...

Bow before me and be spared! Just kidding...DIE!

Mwuh-hah-hah!

kernow
06-23-2006, 04:25 PM
The "beloved" Atomiswave... in trouble!

Quick...

Bow before me and be spared! Just kidding...DIE!

Mwuh-hah-hah!

:lol:

neojedi
06-23-2006, 04:30 PM
The Atomiswave made sense as a quick fix for SNKP... better quality graphics and sound, solves the piracy issue, and I bet there was practically zero learning curve for the programmers because they already had years of Dreamcast ports under their belts.

I'd be shocked to see SNKP go back to the MVS. The feel that I get from their marketing of MI etc is that they want to compete with the big boys... that means games both 2D and 3D that feature the latest, greatest graphics and sound. I think SNKP's goal is 2D games of at least Guilty Gear quality, and 3D games of Tekken/VF quality. That being the case, look for SNKP to move to something like Naomi 2.

I see Raz's point that the money to be made on the low end stuff might be the deciding factor though.

Amano Jacu
06-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Independent Jamma Boards
DONE.
-BB

No, anything but that, PLEASE...

I don't want all the bullshit drama we had after the release of SvC MVS in PCB format EVER AGAIN :loco:

BIG BEAR
06-23-2006, 05:08 PM
ZERO MVS support, just independent mobo's.
-BB

No, anything but that, PLEASE...

I don't want all the bullshit drama we had after the release of SvC MVS in PCB format EVER AGAIN :loco:

EX_Andy
06-23-2006, 06:15 PM
The Neo is dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Let it stay dead.

The days of developing a game projected to bring in $2-300+/unit only to have it dumped and stolen by thousands on the Internet the next day are over, and they need to stay over. SNK could try to better copy-protect its carts, but that would eventually get cracked too. Pirates would hack through any protection, because for most people, especially on the Internet, the name "Neo*Geo" is basically synonymous with "old, dead, emulated games to download for free." They think they're entitled to free Neo games, because they've had easy access to them via ROMs and emulators for years. You expect me to pay money for new Neo*Geo games? That's an outrage! They won't admit it, but that's how a bunch of people on these very forums would react.

The Neo as a hardware platform for new games would be worse than a money pit at this point. Setting cash on fire would be more profitable, because that would at least help keep the offices warm in the winter.

To stay profitable, SNK needs to find another decent 2D hardware platform for arcade games and keep pumping out console ports. The company cannot look back.

ironish
06-23-2006, 07:13 PM
To tell you the truth I think they should probably go 3D, or at the very least use 3D backgrounds ala Capcom vs SNK. It ends the emulation problem even if it the characters are 2D. Maybe the King of Fighters 2006 being 3D is a good thing. I'm guessing this iteration, just like the last, is probably not going to play too well. Who knows, maybe a few sequels down the road may mean they get used to programming for current hardware, and that means classic gameplay with updated graphics that plays well.

Either way they've got to do something new. We're entering the next gen and I don't think SNKP will survive if they rely on graphics that were drawn in '94. I do feel bad about their lack of funds. They may just need to make these new fighters with less than 40+ characters, just like MOTW. They've gotta sink or swim.

NeoDragoN
06-23-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty gutted tbh.

Ah well hopefully the prices will start to drop now instead of fucking RISING like they have been!

hanafuda
06-23-2006, 08:12 PM
At the end of the day its all about how many units of a game they can sell, not if a game has fancy zooming or sound effects.

Raz

Considering that even the arcades in Japan are disappearing fast, and are practically extinct in many other parts of the world, then making an MVS game in this day and age that won't even be accepted to be ported onto home systems would probably be the worst decision SNKP could make.

KOF MI2 sold quite nicely in Japan. Not amazing, but pretty well.

I was expecting to be able to walk into my local game store and pick up KOF XI off the shelf, so I didn't reserve it. It was sold out when I got there, and my friendly game store owner told me she was shocked that it is selling so well as she only got a couple of copies in originally.

Home is where it is at right now.

Ideally they should stick to their model with games like KOF XI: showcase it in the arcade first, then throw a bunch of effort into the home port once the buzz from the arcade version has died down.

Unfortunately though they don't seem to have a hardware option for the arcade part right now, and it looks like that is going to be the case for a while.

freak
06-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Glossary (which maybe you already know all):

Fun = "Fun Mokujiroku/Savage Reign" & "Fun Super Tag Battle/Kizuna Encounter" (http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/museum/mokushiroku/)

Mizuchi (http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/character/mizuchi.html)

Nejibako = NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/)

Yumeji (http://www.samuraispirits-official.com/english/character/yumeji/)

Cernex
06-24-2006, 12:57 AM
*Sigh* well, taking in account that the Atomiswave wasn't anything else than an Naomi with 2D capabilities, I'm very grateful it's dying. Plus, we've seen tents of consoles and arcades go down in flames WAY faster and worse than the Atomiswave. If you ask me, the Atomiswave is going out "with style", :P

At least, on my side, it won't have bad memories of it.

I REALLY don't think they should go back to the MVS. With the hackers ability this days, any new game would be pirated in a matter of HOURS. I, personally, think that KOF 2003 was a test to see if they could avoid it, and they failed MISERABLY.

I think they will move to watever new arcade board appears. Call it Naomi 2 or Aurora... heck, they could move to the triforce (although, a 2D in the Triforce would be just TOO much) for all I care. I just want them to make NEW and GOOD 2D games, and that's it.

El Cernex

kernow
06-24-2006, 02:11 AM
a naomi with 2d capabilities?

dont think so my friend

the naomi could murderkill the atomiswave at 2d

ironish
06-24-2006, 02:31 AM

I think they will move to watever new arcade board appears. Call it Naomi 2 or Aurora... heck, they could move to the triforce (although, a 2D in the Triforce would be just TOO much) for all I care. I just want them to make NEW and GOOD 2D games, and that's it.

El Cernex

Yeah using something like Naomi would be good since they can have direct arcade ports to home, and, I'm assuming, they would not have huge licensing fees compared to the Namco System 246 (arcade PS2). Since they are still making Dreamcast games in Japan and there is still a cult following that may be a good option for SNKP.

BTW don't they already have a Naomi 2, or at least an enhanced Naomi?

freak
06-24-2006, 02:35 AM
*Sigh* well, taking in account that the Atomiswave wasn't anything else than an Naomi with 2D capabilities, I'm very grateful it's dying. Plus, we've seen tents of consoles and arcades go down in flames WAY faster and worse than the Atomiswave. If you ask me, the Atomiswave is going out "with style", :P

Uh... AW is very similar to NAOMI 1 except that it has less main memory.

BTW don't they already have a Naomi 2, or at least an enhanced Naomi?

http://www.system16.com/museum.php?id=1

kernow
06-24-2006, 03:06 AM
I also said many times , that they should have gone naomi first

but they probably wouldn't be allowed as they'd fail sega's QA tests for the hardware or something.. joke!

I'm just keeping my bases covered thats all :)

Fygee
06-24-2006, 03:46 AM
Its likely the reason they went with the Atomiswave instead of the Naomi was SNKP turning in a favor from Sammy, as was hinted at earlier.

Sammy, at the time, was trying to push itself into the arcade/video game world, and what better way to do so than with an arcade flagship brand like SNKP? They knew that they wouldn't need crazy hardware requirements (or, to be honest, ones that were even on the middle end at the time), and could therefore make popular games with hardware that's cheap to make. The bonus is advertising Sammy's name on every game/board that's sold, either through the Sammy or Sega name.

SNKP benefits from not having to spend a lot of money in R&D for a successor to the Neo-Geo, they get to move to hardware they're reasonably familiar with, piracy no longer becomes an issue, and they get the benefit of Sammy/Sega's as a stable international distributor (sorry Europe, you got the shaft on that one). No doubt there's a lot of financial deals made between the two that have allowed SNKP to get out of debts incurred from the name, and to pour money into the development of more mainstream console games which they likely wouldn't have had.

As a result, the death of the Atomiswave is just a means to an end of the original deal of the relationship. I'm sure SNKP will either jump over to whatever new hardware Sammy/Sega develops, or develop their own Neo-Geo successor to be supported by Sammy/Sega brands.

That said, they've only made 5 Atomiswave games (NeoWave, NGBC, Tenka, KOFXI, and MS6), and they're contractually obligated to at least 6. That means there's at least one more game coming before the AW gets the chop.

J0e Musashi
06-24-2006, 06:05 AM
That said, they've only made 5 Atomiswave games (NeoWave, NGBC, Tenka, KOFXI, and MS6), and they're contractually obligated to at least 6. That means there's at least one more game coming before the AW gets the chop.

MOTW 2, gotta be a Fatal Fury title anyway.

Stifu
06-24-2006, 06:54 AM
MOTW 2, gotta be a Fatal Fury title anyway.
Or SS6 Special. :p

SS6 is just not good enough to end the series (or at least the part of the series that uses those character sprites, in case they ever make a brand new 2D SS game afterward)... Plus they hinted at the fact they plan to make more SS games...
Wishful thinking.

Hippo
06-24-2006, 07:41 AM
The Neo is dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Let it stay dead.

The days of developing a game projected to bring in $2-300+/unit only to have it dumped and stolen by thousands on the Internet the next day are over, and they need to stay over. SNK could try to better copy-protect its carts, but that would eventually get cracked too. Pirates would hack through any protection, because for most people, especially on the Internet, the name "Neo*Geo" is basically synonymous with "old, dead, emulated games to download for free." They think they're entitled to free Neo games, because they've had easy access to them via ROMs and emulators for years. You expect me to pay money for new Neo*Geo games? That's an outrage! They won't admit it, but that's how a bunch of people on these very forums would react.

The Neo as a hardware platform for new games would be worse than a money pit at this point. Setting cash on fire would be more profitable, because that would at least help keep the offices warm in the winter.

To stay profitable, SNK needs to find another decent 2D hardware platform for arcade games and keep pumping out console ports. The company cannot look back.

Signature worthy quote. If there ever was a Neo-Geo bible this quote would be revelations.

ironish
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Or SS6 Special. :p

SS6 is just not good enough to end the series (or at least the part of the series that uses those character sprites, in case they ever make a brand new 2D SS game afterward)... Plus they hinted at the fact they plan to make more SS games...
Wishful thinking.

For sure they will make more SS games. I can't see them just giving up on one of their largest IPs. The demand for SS is small, but it's still there. Now if they were to tell me that they're never going to make another 3 Count Bout I would believe them more.

DevilRedeemed
06-24-2006, 12:29 PM
well the AW has a nice lineup even if it dies right this minute.

thing is they (Sammy and co.) scrapped way too many games along the way (Capcom vs Sammy,Sushi Bar, Premier Eleven, Ken Ju, Force Five, etc.), left too many holes and traps (as good as the games where on the AW, they where not superior to what what existed on the neo geo - no AW game looks as good as Garou, LB/LB2, RB2 - that's not progress).
in the end Sammy failed to make a real go of it.

and SNKP...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/krunkpb1/middle_finger_flame.jpg

Baseley09
06-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Premier Eleven came out;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/baseley09/PIC_0009.jpg

DevilRedeemed
06-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Premier Eleven came out;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/baseley09/PIC_0009.jpg
yeah, I remembered that, but I'm not so sure that it did come out officially - don't know how your local arcade got their hands on the cart. lucky buggers.

Baseley09
06-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Dunno, only thing im sure of is that it was distributed by Sega, at least to that location anyway.

Amano Jacu
06-24-2006, 06:18 PM
ZERO MVS support, just independent mobo's.
-BB

Yeah, I know what you mean, I just said that if the system was not cart based many people here would bitch and moan about having to swap boards in their cab. The "MVS" mention was just a reference to the polemic about the SvC pcb being "MVS" or not.

F4U57
06-24-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm not suprised at all by this..

freak
06-25-2006, 03:23 AM
Another summarization by remukhan @ CX

- KOF98 and KOF2002 will come out as singles games (presumably as Rebouts) instead of Online compilations.

- KOF NESTS Hen is delayed because SNK wants to add both NeoGeo and DC versions, plus a bonus.

- World Heroes, Kizuna Encounter/Savage Reign and other NeoGeo games will come out as NeoGeo Online Collections as planned.

- Samurai Shodown Tenkaichi Kenkyakuden was planned to be last 2D Samurai Shodown game, but it all depends on the fans which way they want SNK to take the series.

- NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 2 is not currently in plans, but SNK will develop it if there is enough demand to continue the series from fans.

- Garou: Mark of the Wolves story will continue, but SNK is still looking at the possibility whether to develop MOTW2 or take the story into a new series.

- SNK Playmore is also looking at the possibility of releasing its portable (mobile phone) games outstide Japan, as some of dating sim games with SNK characters have had great success.

- After the success of Playstation game 'Athena' and a portable game 'Athena on Stage', SNK will release another action based game on KOF heroin, tentateively titled 'Athena: Full Throttle". This portable game is expected to come out in July.

- SNK would also like to do a 3D fighting game based on SNK ladies only. (DOA???)

- Yumeji Kurokochi of Samurai Shodown is likely to be a man. But SNK is in midst of verifying it (what the??!)

- In NBC, Mizuchi's original form is not some clone of Chris. But its some kind of weapon created by WAREZ.

- SNK will also port its KOF Pachinko (Slot) Machine games to Portable (mobile) platform.

- It may be possible to renew their collaboration with Capcom, to release (fighting) games with characters of both companies.

- SNK is also looking forward to the next generation console wars before deciding their strategy, since success of each console also varies from country to country.

Kiske
06-28-2006, 01:02 PM

thing is they (Sammy and co.) scrapped way too many games along the way (Capcom vs Sammy,Sushi Bar, Premier Eleven, Ken Ju, Force Five, etc.), left too many holes and traps (as good as the games where on the AW, they where not superior to what what existed on the neo geo - no AW game looks as good as Garou, LB/LB2, RB2 - that's not progress).

and SNKP...

I'd generally agree with the sentiments of not a lot of games looked that great over the neo-geo games that were mentioned; with the exception of KOFXI and Hokuto No Ken, but I'd expect no less from Arc System Works.

It's not surprising that the system is pretty much dead, but blows either way for those who wanted to see a little more life left in system that they purchased for console use.

aria
06-28-2006, 08:46 PM

and SNKP...

Let's go retro:
http://www.ninjasuit.org/gallery2/d/369-2/wtc-da-finger.jpg

ResO
06-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Newsflash: SNKPlaymore gave up before they even started fucking the corpse of the original real SNK.

freak
06-29-2006, 06:17 AM
Athena: Full Throttle , a mobile game (maybe it's a sequel to the original Athena game).

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/mobile/i-mode/index.php
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/museum/athena/

kernow
06-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Newsflash: SNKPlaymore gave up before they even started fucking the corpse of the original real SNK.

so true

freak
06-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Athena: Full Throttle , a mobile game (maybe it's a sequel to the original Athena game).

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/mobile/i-mode/index.php
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/museum/athena/

Some tiny shots.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/press_releases/index_press.php?num=55

moyetor
07-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Actually the atomiswave was a real mess on sales on Mexico, were snk consoles had strong sales on the golden years, maybe other reason why to drop off the system, I mean, lots of people lost money trying to buy the system at 900 us or more, no sales, no games, lack of interest on it, well, it had to happen :oh_no: