Impress 29 ?'s

Sonic Blast

NEST Puppet
I won an impress 29 a few days ago and have a few questions. Is $202.50 a good price? I also want put a multi slot MVS board in it. Will a 6 slot fit in it or will I need to get a smaller MVS board?

slugnoid

Another Striker
i don't know about the PCB space, but as long as the moniter is in good shape, 202 seems like a steal to me.

btw... from the looks of the impress on candycabinetcity.com, there seems to be plenty of room in the PCB area for at least a 4 slot... but i've never seen an impress in person.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
A 4 slot should fit fine but.

If there is no shelf inside the impress it will fit, but its either going to have to go right at the back of the cab or be unevenly balanced on the metal casing which has the Q-sound amp and volume controls on it. Neither is ideal.

This goes for most cabs though.

I would get some string ties and just mount it vertically on the right hand side wall. As long as your not bashing the hell out of the cab it should be ideal.

Remember though that MVS multislots require rewiring of the cab for the select and audio functionalities. The latter being crucial.

Sonic Blast

NEST Puppet
Neorichieb1971 said:
Remember though that MVS multislots require rewiring of the cab for the select and audio functionalities. The latter being crucial.

What is the difference in audio wiring?

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Candy cabs except those made by SNK in the day are typically wired for Jamma.

MVS 1 slots are 100% jamma compatible.

2, 4 and 6 slots are slightly different in that an extra button called the "select" button is required to change between the games when no credits are put on the machine. This can be wired to any button as a dual purpose button.. P2 might be a good option.

As for the audio, Jamma has L as mono, 10 as ground. On the MVS multislots this becomes L = Left channel, 10 = right channel and the grounds need to be done independantly. This will require you moving the ground from 10 to the right speaker on the impress. A simple switch could be put in place for such an operation so that going from MVS to Jamma and vice versa is not a big problem.

Its not a big deal, but damage could be done to the cabinet if you just plugged the MVS multislot in and played. My guess is that you would not get any sound at all from the cabinet with a multislot without the adjustments required for MVS.

The PSU in the cab might pose a problem, 6 slots have a much greater draw on the PSU than a standard Jamma PCB. Therefore a 2 or 4 slot might be a more attractive option. I am guessing it won't cause a problem, it might however shorten the life expectancy of the PSU which is the cause of most problems with cabs and superguns.

Sonic Blast

NEST Puppet
Neorichieb1971 said:
Candy cabs except those made by SNK in the day are typically wired for Jamma.

MVS 1 slots are 100% jamma compatible.

2, 4 and 6 slots are slightly different in that an extra button called the "select" button is required to change between the games when no credits are put on the machine. This can be wired to any button as a dual purpose button.. P2 might be a good option.

As for the audio, Jamma has L as mono, 10 as ground. On the MVS multislots this becomes L = Left channel, 10 = right channel and the grounds need to be done independently. This will require you moving the ground from 10 to the right speaker on the impress. A simple switch could be put in place for such an operation so that going from MVS to Jamma and vice versa is not a big problem.

Its not a big deal, but damage could be done to the cabinet if you just plugged the MVS multislot in and played. My guess is that you would not get any sound at all from the cabinet with a multislot without the adjustments required for MVS.

The PSU in the cab might pose a problem, 6 slots have a much greater draw on the PSU than a standard Jamma PCB. Therefore a 2 or 4 slot might be a more attractive option. I am guessing it won't cause a problem, it might however shorten the life expectancy of the PSU which is the cause of most problems with cabs and superguns.

I was aware of the select button for a multi slot board, but the moving the ground wire to the right speaker I didn't know. Your advice has made me decide to go with a 4 slot mobo. Can you explain in more detail on how to put a switch in place for such an operation so that going from MVS to Jamma and vice-versa is possible? Please post, PM or email me at e-normus@cox.net I don't want to damage anything in the cab. Any help will be greatly appreciated

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
I'd suggest going with a 1 slot...the mv-1F to be precise....That is what I run in my cabs. One of the them is an impress as well...100% compatible and no extra bs. Btw congrats on getting one at a steal of a price...Its a great, great cab.

Droid

Sonic Blast

NEST Puppet
droid said:
I'd suggest going with a 1 slot...the mv-1F to be precise....That is what I run in my cabs. One of the them is an impress as well...100% compatible and no extra bs. Btw congrats on getting one at a steal of a price...Its a great, great cab.

Droid

Is the MV-1C fully compatible? If not where in you Impress did you mount your MV-1F?

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
A 1 slot is totally Jamma compatible, any of 1 slot models. They usually have mono/stereo switch on them which is easily recognizable. Just make sure its in the mono position and just plug the sucker in and away you go.

Obviously you will have to swap out carts to change games but that takes about as much time as it does to swap out a N64 cart.

You do have another problem though. The impress you have is wired only for Jamma buttons. The top 3 buttons will operate with a neo geo setup, but if the game requires the fourth button (fighters mainly) you will have to connect one of the jamma pins to one of the bottom 3 buttons. This is very easy to do.

Basically pin C and 25 on the jamma harness, connect them to button 6 (that would be my preference). Then use a very short wire to connect the ground on button 6 (player 1 and 2) to the grounds on either buttons 1 2 or 3.

Now of course, the impress will be equipped with a CPS2 kick harness already, so just double up the wires on the respective buttons by soldering them together. This won't cause any problems at all. Since cps2 doesn't use pins C/25 at all.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

You might find that link helpful since it has the pins labelled for jamma and MVS.

I put a 1F in my impress, a 1F is pretty big and bulky and I would recommend mounting it vertically on the right hand side wall of the impress PCB bay area. There are slider rails there. I would get some thin ply wood, mount the 1 slot PCB onto it (there are screw pieces in the 1 slot) and make the wood base slide into the sliders.

This is because when you open the impress PCB area, the Qsound amp housing sits right at the front and its about 6" high and in depth. Which means putting a 1 slot in there will sit very awkwardly. I must admit, I just put mine in there regardless of how it sat.. Didn't do any damage.. And remember, the impress side walls are metal, my ESPra.de short circuited a few times just by touching the walls.. It didn't do any perm damage though.

Your imress might have a shelf put in place already.. if thats the case, just put the pcb's and 1 slot on top of it and play away. Or build your own shelf.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
a comparison of the different 1-slots available can be found here:

http://hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm

I've heard only the big ugly mv-1 and mv-1F 1-slots are fully compatible with all the snk games, but I don't know that 100%. According to the chart these are the only ones with a stereo/mono switch. I originally had the mv-1 but opted for the 1F because of the smaller size.

Droid

Last edited:

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
a 1A is bigger than a 1F :spock:

I didn't think any 1 slot was bigger than a 1F. Or maybe i'm getting the models mixed up.

Sonic Blast

NEST Puppet
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will try the MV-1C first. I like the way the cart goes in vertically. I will be sure to post some pics when the cab arrives.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
a 1A is bigger than a 1F

heh heh my bad. I meant the mv-1. That sucker is huge.

about the 1c, my friend Ramus brought his mv-1c to our socal hookup and I noticed it has a much tighter fit than the MV1 and 1F. It was a little harder to get the carts in and out. Could also be because it looked pristine brand new right out of the box. :glee:

Droid