s-vid modding. Help appreciated.

Peyn

n00b
Hey there!

I've been lookin around for an alternative link to the neogeousa s-video mod method, but I've decided that the search is futile, seeing as the site is down. I was wondering if anyone had it somewhere, or could explain it?

Also, is it the same procedure as the one in the neo mega mod manual?

I'm trying to get s-vid outta my genesis 1, if you really want to know. Thanks again!

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
See the CDX section of my website. I have posted a schematic there which covers the neogeousa mod with finer quality output. It's the best (and pretty much the only) way to to get good S-Video out of a Gen1/CXA1145 chip.

-Segasonicfan

Peyn

n00b
dude, you ALWAYS come to my aid when I need it most, segasonicfan. Double brownie points for you. Thanks.

Christ, that is one hell of a modding job on that CDX... where did you learn all your stuff, anyway?

Last edited:

Jesterzzn

Marked Wolf
segasonicfan said:
See the CDX section of my website. I have posted a schematic there which covers the neogeousa mod with finer quality output. It's the best (and pretty much the only) way to to get good S-Video out of a Gen1/CXA1145 chip.

-Segasonicfan
So if the circuit is the same for both Y and C, does it really matter which you choose to plug in to the jack? Or do you take Y from say pin 15 and C from pin 16?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I am still a begginer at reading these schematics.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
dude, you ALWAYS come to my aid when I need it most, segasonicfan. Double brownie points for you. Thanks.
you're welcome ;) can I cash in my brownie points eventually for a real brownie? :drool:

Christ, that is one hell of a modding job on that CDX... where did you learn all your stuff, anyway?
(suprisingly) I taught myself. Spent a couple years taking online classes, openingv up every piece of electronics around and really just googling any basics I didn't understand. Also talked with a lot of technicians and people in the field since I do live in Silicon Valley ;) It was really just motivation though. I learned a lot from sites like http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/map.htm and similiar free educational resources :)

So if the circuit is the same for both Y and C, does it really matter which you choose to plug in to the jack? Or do you take Y from say pin 15 and C from pin 16?

Yes, it matters. The circuit is the same but Y and C are very different. I forget which is 15 or 16 but the jack has to be properly connected to the Y and C inputs. When facing a female jack the upper left hole is C input and the upper right is Y input. The bottom 2 holes are just grounds.

-Segasonicfan

Peyn

n00b
JMKurtz said:
You can always follow the step-by-step guide from here:

http://www.neostore.com/megamods.htm

Great mod, but it's for the Neo Geo. As far as I can tell, the circuits are different than segasonicfan's for the s-video mod, and despite the fact that both the Neo Geo and the Genesis have a cxa1145, the Genny uses two 51832SPL10 Toshiba chips, and the Neo Geo uses something else...

Edit: Wait wait... something isn't right here. Check this out: http://www.lukesandel.com/techgallery/Genesis-Svideo

His circuit of resistors n transistors n capacitors looks different than yours, segasonicfan. What's going on?

Edit Edit Tested your circuit, segasonicfan, and it isn't working... I've checked and rechecked, and checked all the voltages/resistances, but nothing seems out of place. Got any ideas on the problem?

Edit Edit Edit: !! Whoa, I just may very well have had either my halt switch or my overclock on when I tested the S-Video. I'll test again.

SUPER Edit: Oh, by the way, where in Silicon Valley, anyway? I'm right outside o' San Jose.

Last edited: