Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku: Bonnou Kaihou (Power Instinct Matrimelee) PS2 thread

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
shin_gouketsuji_store.jpg

Well, Bonnou Kaihou came out today, and I've had a chance to play the game briefly. Excite, not Atlus, is the publisher this time around, and rather than be just a straight Neo-Geo port, they've added content and improved the visuals a bit, while also having (unfortunately) removed the four bonus characters from Rage Of The Dragons, so it seems.

Although the game only has one new character, in the form of popular martial artist Bobby Olgan(sp), who has been animated in such a way that he fits in perfectly with the rest of the wacky cast, two characters from Power Instinct 2, Angela Belti, and Kintaro are also back.

In addition, the transformations from past Power Instinct games have returned as well, resulting in the "loss" of one character, since he has now back to being a transformation. The following characters are able to transform, effectively turning them into new characters with different attacks and combos for a limited amount of time:

Ume --> Young Ume (the classic transformation; she regains her youth)
Tane --> Young Tane (ditto)
Kurara --> Super Kurara (From PI2; she goes from little girl to scantily-clad woman on roller blades)
(Muscle) Kanji --> (Weak) Kanji (the only character with no transformation time limit; you can change his body type back and forth)
Kintaro --> Pochi (I would have preferred for Pochi to have been kept separate)

So far, I've only seen one new stage, which is another variation of the arena level for Bobby. Interestingly enough, the arena stage that shows "footage" from Rage Of The Dragons remains intact.

Bonnou Kaitou also features a new card collection system. So far, it seems you can only make use of the cards in versus and training modes; I don't see an option to use them in single player, and the same goes for Bobby and Sissy. There are a total of 70 cards to unlock, which you have to purchase with points you can get in the single player or mission mode. You cannot buy all the cards from the start; they are unlocked for purchase by completing missions and beating single player with all the characters. The game lets you use some cards in battle, but so far, all I've seen are cards for extra character colors, and one card that makes a tiny spirit follow your character; no idea if it actually does anything or not.

Visually, the game's sprites and backgrounds look the same as they did on the Neo-Geo, but all the character artwork, lifebars, onscreen text, and gauges have been made high res. In addition, all the special and super attack effects have been redone, also in high res, with some transparancies. It definitely looks better than the original game.

Audio remains the same, which is fine, since the original game, with its CD quality BGM filled with lyrics, was already high quality.

Finally, online play (only for Japan) is available, and a new animated intro, along with an animated cut scene for Bobby, have also been added to the game.

I'm still hoping that the Rage Of The Dragons characters remain intact, and have been changed to unlockable characters you have to purchase, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. It's nice to see such a high quality Neo-Geo conversion, however, and the added characters and transformations are welcome additions. Definitely a recommended title for 2D fighting game fans.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I love the power instinct series. If I had a PS2 I would buy this.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Forgot to mention the pre-order bonus; I got a soundtrack CD/2006 digital calender for reserving the game. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

ray_7

I just played this today too.

While the lack of 4 secret characters from RotD is dissapointing, I'm quite impressed with what they did.

The music is really good, and the visual effects are impressive as well.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
I browsed through the disc on the PC using a program for ripping music, and the music for the ROTD characters is still on the disc. Not sure where it used, but maybe it means that they are still in there? Perhaps you unlock them by purchasing some of the more expensive cards? Will find out soon :)

Slightly off topic, but I am setting up a little jukebox thing on my site so people can listen to music while they browse my site - there's not much on there right now but I did rip the music from Bobby's stage for anyone that wants to have a listen. Check the main page on my site for a link (there's also a few KOF XI tracks on there). :)

edit: I just finished all the A missions, which all appear to be straightforward "KO your opponent" things - don't suppose anyone could do a translation of the requirements for the B missions? I managed to do the first one by hitting the opponent with a light kick or something, but when I defeated the opponent on the 2nd mission I still failed it. Anyone have any ideas? :)

Kaz

Last edited:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Kazuya, the second B Mission is to get a KO with a special move, IIRC. I can check for you later if that's wrong. The third mission is to get a KO with a stress shoot super, fourth is with a regular super, fifth is to win by time up, and the sixth, which I'm on now, is to win with a draw game (@#$$@ hard!!). Good to hear about the music, but I'm not getting my hopes up. :)

EDIT: Okay, beat the sixth mission with Sissy. The opponent was Bobby; I found that backing up at the start and continuously hitting R2 (the CD attack) caused him to keep doing his projectile, which isn't full screen. Got time over with full lifebars. :D

The last B Mission is to win without using special moves. I did this pretty easily using Sissy.

Clear Paper, yes, it's an upgrade to the original Matrimelee. Game play is the same as are the move lists for all the non-transforming characters, however

Also, looking at the back of the box, it doesn't appear this game uses KDDI; online play might be free, meaning anyone could play it from any location. I no longer have a Japanese PS2 to try this, however; all my PS2 gaming is now done on a modded U.S. system.

Last edited:

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Lyte Edge: thanks man, that worked like a charm. I'm onto the sixth B mission now, got a feeling this is gonna take a while. ;) Just out of interest what was the requirement for the first B mission? As I mentioned I just fluked my way past it without realising what I had done exactly...

Just unlocked a rendered music video for Chinnen's stage music... bizarre! :D

edit: Just done it with Clara (B mission 6)... the first time I thought I had beaten it, I must have had about 1 pixel more health than she did so I failed... but just retried and managed to fluke it (we both had just the tiniest bit of health left). Thanks god for that!

Kaz

Last edited:

Recap

Zero's Secretary
Lyte Edge said:
Visually, the game's sprites and backgrounds look the same as they did on the Neo-Geo, but all the character artwork, lifebars, onscreen text, and gauges have been made high res. In addition, all the special and super attack effects have been redone, also in high res, with some transparancies. It definitely looks better than the original game.

How can a port with upscaled sprites look "better than the original game"?

gou11.jpg

Seriously, visually, it sucks, no matter how many transparencies, effects and hi-res portraits they added. Thanks for the impressions, anyhow.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Recap said:

gou11.jpg

Seriously, visually, it sucks, no matter how many transparencies, effects and hi-res portraits they added. Thanks for the impressions, anyhow.

haha it does look like shit....well thats the Fony Gaystation for you :lol:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
It looks better due to the improved special move effects. Visually it looks exactly like it did on my Neo-Geo when I played it via S-Video.

"Fony Gaystation?" Amazing that such stupid biased hate continue to exist for that system. :kekeke:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Thanks for the review, Lyte Edge (and hi Kazuya!)

I'm looking forward to picking up my copy this week too.

Bobby_Ologun.jpg

Here's the display from my local game store: Bobby Ologun in all his glory.

He's a TV personality over here. He's from Nigeria, and speaks fluent Japanese with an outrageous accent. Does lots of comedy and guest-commentating along with martial arts. I'm not sure how he got his start (or how long he's been here). I think he was a regular comedian on Super Karakuri TV (Supaa Karakuri Terebi) before he became famous as a martial artist, although he might have come to Japan for the martial arts in the first place.

aria

Former Moderator
tsukaesugi said:
He's from Nigeria, and speaks fluent Japanese with an outrageous accent.

Heh, now I'm curious.

Of course, the guy was brilliant: learn Japanese, be from Africa --voila, you're now a marketable novelty.

Recap

Zero's Secretary
Lyte Edge said:
It looks better due to the improved special move effects. Visually it looks exactly like it did on my Neo-Geo when I played it via S-Video.

I never liked light effects on 2D games, but that's just a matter of personal opinion. What's not debatable, though, is that this PS2 port CAN'T look like the original version due to the upscaled graphics the game uses, even with substandard connections like S-video.

It's not a PS2 issue at all, nevertheless. The hardware is perfectly able to display true low res modes and make any NG port look like the original version.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Bobby_Ologun.jpg

Here's the display from my local game store: Bobby Ologun in all his glory.

He's a TV personality over here. He's from Nigeria, and speaks fluent Japanese with an outrageous accent. Does lots of comedy and guest-commentating along with martial arts. I'm not sure how he got his start (or how long he's been here). I think he was a regular comedian on Super Karakuri TV (Supaa Karakuri Terebi) before he became famous as a martial artist, although he might have come to Japan for the martial arts in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I dont think I will ever understand Japanese culture fully....;)

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Looks good. I just ordered it. I have to wait a week to get it though. I guess they didn't make too many copies for the first shipment :(
Is their anyway to switch between the new effects and the old neo ones?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
how are the load times? I have been extremely disgusted with ports lately and the inexcusable load times. I want this, but if its anything like NGBC count me out.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Recap said:

gou11.jpg

That does look like shit. And the original version did look better than this port.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
I'm glad they went and reinstated the transformations (after playing the prior games I thought it was a letdown that they didn't include them) even if it looks like they had to take out some of the content, mainly the ROTD characters. I'll probably get it later since I need in import/modded ps2 first or I'll wait until the US release. Oh great, now I have the wedding march tune stuck in my head.

Last edited:

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Hi tsukaesugi, how goes it? :)

For the record, I used to have the MVS cart, running through the consolized 4 slot I had (in RGB), and although I would say the PS2 version (I'm also running that in RGB) looks a little inferior to how it looked on my MVS, I think it looks just fine. Screenshots like that always look like crap compared to how it looks in motion on your actual TV. Anyway, as far as I am concerned, it's more than acceptable, and I am normally the type of person to be anal about this type of thing. I do actually think the redone projectiles etc look pretty good too, although there was nothing wrong with the way they were on the Neo Geo.

Kaz

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
interesting how excite published this game. totally out of left field (for me).

I liked the visuals for this game and of ROTD, i don't know i somehow get the impression they tried real good to do the job.

Other than that, i didn't have luck finding it in play-asia, where else are they selling it?

the screens remind me of Neowave....

I personally don't mind the way it looks (i mean my main peeve about kof 2k2 were the backgrounds, and they put different ones in neowave). I'm all for it. Whether they look bad to some, maybe, but not to me. They look ok, I"ve seen worst life bars, and esthetic designs of a game with worst design that go with the game. So, I'm not gonna bitch aboiut the screens.

Last edited:

Recap

Zero's Secretary
Anyway, as far as I am concerned, it's more than acceptable, and I am normally the type of person to be anal about this type of thing.

Well, you aren't that anal if you find "acceptable" upscaled graphics. They're displaying a 300 x 240 picture at 600 x 400. Sure, the interlace of a 15 kHz monitor will mask the picture's pixelation a bit, but it sill will be far from the original presentation. When the PS2 is perfectly able to display the original low res and get a visually perfect game the whole thing sounds like a bad joke. And it's happening with every PS2 port since KOF 2001. Enough.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Just to illustrate the point about screenshots looking like crap compared to how they look in motion on your TV:

matrimeleeshot7.png

That pic is not from the PS2 version, it's from the Neo Geo version (I resized it to the same dimensions). Looks just as bad as the PS2 screen posted above.

Kaz

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
tsukaesugi said:
He's a TV personality over here. He's from Nigeria, and speaks fluent Japanese with an outrageous accent. Does lots of comedy and guest-commentating along with martial arts. I'm not sure how he got his start (or how long he's been here). I think he was a regular comedian on Super Karakuri TV (Supaa Karakuri Terebi) before he became famous as a martial artist, although he might have come to Japan for the martial arts in the first place.

You rarely see him on TV any more. He clearly hasn't been getting any work offers after he hit the news when he trashed that office during an argument with his manager/someone he works for.

Recap

Zero's Secretary
Kazuya_UK said:
That pic is not from the PS2 version, it's from the Neo Geo version (I resized it to the same dimensions). Looks just as bad as the PS2 screen posted above.

So you upscaled it. Much like the PS2 does for its Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku version. The PS2 screenshot shown there hasn't been upscaled "manually". The point is that the original picture was NOT upscaled, that is, the Neo display it at its native res. For more details, go here. And for properly resized screenshots, here.

Last edited: