SNK PLAYMORE AND THE NINTENDO Wii

jeff10

Kula's Candy
May 17, 2006

Report: SNK Playmore To Focus On Wii
Talking in an online interview, SNK Playmore USA president Ben Herman has claimed that the Wii will receive the most support of any next generation format from the company, due to its greater suitability to the publisher’s traditional 2D games.

According to the interview on Advanced Media Network, SNK Playmore has no plans to release any further titles on the Xbox, and feels 2D games are not suitable for the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. Sherman also confirms that Sony of America rejected a number of 2D projects from the company for the PlayStation 2 because they did not correspond to the company’s graphical standards, as well as limiting the number of releases that featured two retro titles in one package.

SNK Playmore has already announced the compilation Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii, making the surprising announcement that the games would be retrofitted to take advantage of the Wii remote rather than just using the “shell” controller.

The company’s plans for the Wii’s virtual console are still unclear, however, with Sherman himself admitting that that he is in talks with Nintendo about older NES and SNES titles, as well as potentially the Neo-Geo AES games for which the company is most famous. However, the greater storage size of titles such as Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters, as well as possible conflicts of interest from selling titles such as Metal Slug in stores, may make this impossible.

Indeed, Sherman indicated that that the company’s interest in releasing titles for Xbox Live Arcade had been to a degree limited because of a lack of memory and a need to compress game data onto an Xbox 360 memory unit, in order to support users without a hard drive.

POSTED: 5.32am PST, 05/17/06 - David Jenkins - LINK

Related news:
Round Up: Metal Slug For Wii, KH2 Gets U.S. Million, NPD PC Numbers
Neo Geo Pocket Color Coming to U.S. Sooner Than Expected

more below in link
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9343

dont know if posted yet but, just givin some info.

Neo23

New Challenger
Interesting news, but I can't see how the wii controller will work on these sort of games.

AlphaONE

King's Dry Cleaner
hehe, Sherman.

Good news let's hope something CONCRETE comes up.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
jeff10 said:
possible conflicts of interest from selling titles such as Metal Slug in stores
What "conflicts of interest"?! I hope this is not a reference to the violence levels present in the MS series -- the Gamecube has plenty of T- and M-rated games, including stuff like the Biohazard / Resident Evil series.

--Chris

MSL

n00b
Dash no Chris said:
What "conflicts of interest"?! I hope this is not a reference to the violence levels present in the MS series -- the Gamecube has plenty of T- and M-rated games, including stuff like the Biohazard / Resident Evil series.

--Chris

They may not want to scare away retailers from carrying their titles if said titles are also available as downloads.

MSL

n00b
Neo23 said:
Interesting news, but I can't see how the wii controller will work on these sort of games.

Nintendo will be releasing a traditional controller that you can use and you can also use a GameCube controller if you wish.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
If SNK succeeds in porting most (if not all) of the AES titles to Nintendo's virtual console, Nintendo will win the next-gen war, pure and simple.

El Cernex

Cernex said:
If SNK succeeds in porting most (if not all) of the AES titles to Nintendo's virtual console, Nintendo will win the next-gen war, pure and simple.

El Cernex

umm... that would be cool if that happened but 90% of people who buy newer video games do not give a flying fuck about snk, neo geo, aes classics let alone even know what it is.

Although it might win over 75% or more of the neo-geo.com users but thats a very small victory for nintendo.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
CruelSummer80's said:
umm... that would be cool if that happened but 90% of people who buy newer video games do not give a flying fuck about snk, neo geo, aes classics let alone even know what it is.

Although it might win over 75% or more of the neo-geo.com users but thats a very small victory for nintendo.

Word.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
You're both forgetting both Nintendo AND SEGA's already confirmed classics on the Virtual Console, plus the "most surelly" 3D titles on the console.

In short: Nintendo fanboys, plus SEGA fanboys (weirdest. bunch. ever), PLUS SNK fanboys, PLUS next-gen graphics, PLUS extremelly cheap price...

Are ya' following me???

El Cernex

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
you're forgetting Turbo Graphx games. That system was wildly fucking popular in Japan. That's big news. I mean, that system took over all of Asia. Wii already has the asian market, bub.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
NeoEsZ said:
you're forgetting Turbo Graphx games. That system was wildly fucking popular in Japan. That's big news. I mean, that system took over all of Asia. Wii already has the asian market, bub.

WORD, :P

El Cernex

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Oh my gosh that is so cool that makes me want to purchase a wii definatly

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
thanks for the link coryoon

If Nintendo really made a comercial like that, I think it would sell the console itself without any clips of the games even. WHoah, Wii comercials will be coming out soon, trippy.

When is this shit supposed to be coming out? Wants vs. needs.

edit: WHAT!!!!!!!!! MARIO IN OUTER SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The Wii will sell pretty well in India, that's for sure :kekeke:

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Nintendo is probably the only company that can win a next gen console war without even releasing one. LOL!!

X-Box 360 & PS3 doesn't stand a chance. With price tags over $500 and specs that may require people to throw away TVs bought less than 2 years ago just to play them, who would even be able to afford one? We just got a 42" flat screen TV in our living room less than a year ago, and I'd be damned if I pull it out of the wall and spend a few extra thousand of dollars just so I can get an HDTV just so I can connect a game system to it. All of that just to play 4 or 5 "next gen" titles? Yeah, right!!

The Wii, if launched with all of the classic titles via download, will have hundreds (if not thousands) of titles ON RELEASE, and a price tag of $250 to boot. All the graphic whores and tech nerds can sit here and talk about specifications and graphics all they want, but a huge selection of GAMES (past and present) is what gamers REALLY want. Everyone here (including new gamers) can think of at least 50 classic titles that they would play again. And all the haters can talk about ROMS and playing emulators on their PC boxes, but who gives a damn about a handful of gamers who prefer playing with bootlegs? Most of them don't buy games anyhow so they don't even count in this discussion.

IMO, this is an open and shut case. Sony & Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot, trying to shove new technology down the throats of people when the world isn't even on the ball with current stuff. I'm usually the one that never tries to judge things before their official release or before I can actually play them, but if I had to go by what I'm hearing regarding these systems then it's pretty obvious which company is going to win this hardware battle.

Last edited:

jeff10

Kula's Candy
HDTV

her is a question i have never seen ask,,,,,,

probably 90% of people with HDTV's have a projection tv, lcd tv, etc...so at least 50% or so percent of house holds even if not hdtv has some sort of tv that falls into this catagory,,,,,

SO isnt the Wii remote pretty much like a light gun in lots of ways,,,,, How the hell is it gonna work on a lcd, projection, plasma, etc......So every one with new tv's are going to have to get old tube tv's

Just a thought, and someone probably should ask nintendo this before buying if you have a newr set up...

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
VinylBoy said:
Nintendo is probably the only company that can win a next gen console war without even releasing one. LOL!!

X-Box 360 & PS3 doesn't stand a chance. With price tags over $500 and specs that may require people to throw away TVs bought less than 2 years ago just to play them, who would even be able to afford one? We just got a 42" flat screen TV in our living room less than a year ago, and I'd be damned if I pull it out of the wall and spend a few extra thousand of dollars just so I can get an HDTV just so I can connect a game system to it. All of that just to play 4 or 5 "next gen" titles? Yeah, right!!

The Wii, if launched with all of the classic titles via download, will have hundreds (if not thousands) of titles ON RELEASE, and a price tag of $250 to boot. All the graphic whores and tech nerds can sit here and talk about specifications and graphics all they want, but a huge selection of GAMES (past and present) is what gamers REALLY want. Everyone here (including new gamers) can think of at least 50 classic titles that they would play again. And all the haters can talk about ROMS and playing emulators on their PC boxes, but who gives a damn about a handful of gamers who prefer playing with bootlegs? Most of them don't buy games anyhow so they don't even count in this discussion.

IMO, this is an open and shut case. Sony & Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot, trying to shove new technology down the throats of people when the world isn't even on the ball with current stuff. I'm usually the one that never tries to judge things before their official release or before I can actually play them, but if I had to go by what I'm hearing regarding these systems then it's pretty obvious which company is going to win this hardware battle.

The Xbox360 doesn't REQUIRE a high def set. It just takes advantage of it. AFAIK, neither will the PS3. But other than that, I think you're spot on. Games, games, games and more games will win the console war.

jeff10 said:
her is a question i have never seen ask,,,,,,

probably 90% of people with HDTV's have a projection tv, lcd tv, etc...so at least 50% or so percent of house holds even if not hdtv has some sort of tv that falls into this catagory,,,,,

SO isnt the Wii remote pretty much like a light gun in lots of ways,,,,, How the hell is it gonna work on a lcd, projection, plasma, etc......So every one with new tv's are going to have to get old tube tv's

Just a thought, and someone probably should ask nintendo this before buying if you have a newr set up...

This question has been asked dozens of times. The Wii remote will use a little sensor you put next to the TV set. Not sure how that's going to work but...

Kiken

Camel Slug
Maybe I missed this in all of the ballyhooing... but exactly how much "drive space" (it's actually a Flash ROM, isn't it?) will the Wii have for the storage of VC games?