looking to buy a fair priced eprom programmer.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
so far i need to flash 27c040(4mb) and 27c1024(1mb) eproms.
i want to use the 27c040 to update my killer instinct 2 pcb to support compact flash cards cuz my HD failed.
i want to use the 27c1024 to update my unibios.

i am sure there are many other useful things i can do with my arcade pcbs and some other fun projects.

so far i saw some eprom programmers on ebay going for around $100 that sound like they would do the trick.
any one know of any good programmers?

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
Well, if you cant find one, ive got a new KI2 ultra kit from ebay with 2 different roms (one for KI2 board, one for upgraded KI1 i think) since my board ended up not working

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Didn't Excellentcom have one for sale for $75?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
The $100 ones like the TOP2004 don't do 16bit EPROMs...

The Willem ones will IF you buy the 16bit EPROM adapters...

RJ

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
acem77 said:

The willem programmers seem to be good, however I haven't been able to use it yet. I bought mine on ebay with the 16-bit dip adapter but it didn't come with the CD, so I am without documentation. I don't want to screw anything up because I don't know what those jumpers do. And there's really no good documentation on the net either, the download link from mcumall.com is broken. If you buy a willem, can you make me a copy of the CD?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
werejag said:
ki_atsushi

the willem programmer website doesnt help?

http://willem.org/

No, believe it or not, my model of programmer is not listed on willem.org. However, the site mcumall.com sells it as a "Willem DualPower" (it can take power from USB or AC), and on the PCB it says mcumall.com. Well, following the download links on that site gets me nowhere, the links are broken. :(

I got the programmer for very cheap on eBay (around $25) and it even included the 40 pin eprom adapter, so it's not too big of a deal considering the adapter alone costs nearly that much, but It would be nice if I could use it for programming me a unibios.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
maybe we can take a shoot at what the options are , can you post a good pic?

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
ki_atsushi said:
No, believe it or not, my model of programmer is not listed on willem.org. However, the site mcumall.com sells it as a "Willem DualPower" (it can take power from USB or AC), and on the PCB it says mcumall.com. Well, following the download links on that site gets me nowhere, the links are broken. :(

I got the programmer for very cheap on eBay (around $25) and it even included the 40 pin eprom adapter, so it's not too big of a deal considering the adapter alone costs nearly that much, but It would be nice if I could use it for programming me a unibios.

I happen to have that same programmer myself, and it works well.

Here's the newest version of the eprom software:
http://www.mcumall.com/download/WillemProg\epr097ja.zip

You need this if you have Win2000 or XP:
http://www.mcumall.com/download/WillemProg/port95nt.exe

Make sure you plug it in with an AC adapter if you're trying to program eproms and not just read them, as the USB input isn't a high enough voltage (you need 12V.)

Hope this helps!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Lime2K said:
I happen to have that same programmer myself, and it works well.

Here's the newest version of the eprom software:
http://www.mcumall.com/download/WillemProg\epr097ja.zip

You need this if you have Win2000 or XP:
http://www.mcumall.com/download/WillemProg/port95nt.exe

Make sure you plug it in with an AC adapter if you're trying to program eproms and not just read them, as the USB input isn't a high enough voltage (you need 12V.)

Hope this helps!

Yeah, I downloaded the software already. Unfortunately, I can not get port95nt to work on my computer. It won't even install. I also need the manual that is on the CD. What do the dip switches do? I don't even know what they are for. I'm glad at least the jumper settings are printed on the pcb.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
bump :P

has anyone used Willem to flash a unbios?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
acem77 said:
bump :P

has anyone used Willem to flash a unbios?

Yes I have used my Willem programer to burn me not only unibios but to phoenix all my cps 2 boards.

Work damn good at a cheap price.

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
ki_atsushi said:
Yeah, I downloaded the software already. Unfortunately, I can not get port95nt to work on my computer. It won't even install. I also need the manual that is on the CD. What do the dip switches do? I don't even know what they are for. I'm glad at least the jumper settings are printed on the pcb.

The manual on the cd is the readme file for the software, in HTML. That's all. As for the dipswitches, the software shows which way to set them when you choose what type of chip to program.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
i bought a true-usb willem programmer.

i did get it to install on my laptop it shows up as a cypress usb device.
the laptop is using xp sp2. works great on it.

i have had no luck on my desktop. i am running xp sp2.
xp just detects it as an unknowen usb device not the real device.

any tricks to get my desktop to install the drivers?