anyone else get frustrated by ebay???

slugnoid

Another Striker
First let me clarify that I love eBay, and am totally guilty of waiting many an afternoon surfing for MVS carts. However, I tend to get put off by the shear volume of obviously bogus carts out there. you know what I mean... those crappy blue or black textured carts with badly reproduced labels, the carts with fucked up or scratched off labels (yes I know these are not all fake), or the carts pre-packed in shockboxes with "can not verify cart authenticity" in the description line. I thought eBay looked out for this kind of stuff. They pounce on everyone selling duped DVDs, CDs, etc... Why is this different?
I won't even get started on the recent wave of horrifically overpriced single slots on there... com on $130.00 for a used single slot?!?!?!
The bottom line is, yeah I know MVS carts are cheaper, but I'm still paying for them right? If I pay for a game, I expect to get the real deal... If I wanted a rom, I would have just downloaded it.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Yes....well, there is a lot of crap on there...boot city infact, but hey...look closely & good 'original' merchandise pop's up now & then...agreed it should be policed more...your better off buying from the selling section here.....many more good honest people ...& original items at bargain prices.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Yeah, ebay can be frustrating sometimes. I've gotten most of my games off of people off the forums. So far I have Metal Slug 3, Garou, Last Blade2, and Magical Drop 3 which I got at reasonable prices from people here on the forums considering they all had labels and serials etc, etc. Off ebay, I've probably bought around 10-20 carts or so. So far, I've never had a boot with the only questionable being a fix. Yaton off ebay has cheap carts though he is also known to sell bootlegs as well. I've gotten a few of the carts from him such as Art of Fighting 3 had a fake shell and label, but they had the original boards which was good enough for me. Other games I got from him were KOF2003 kit, Last Blade, Metal Slug X, and a bunch of others that I don't have anymore, all of them having their original labels and stuff. . I also got a cheap Metal Slug X off another guy on ebay for $45 shipped with serials. Probably my favorite game that I got off ebay was a minty WakuWaku7 cart that I got for $50 shipped.

To get around ebay, only deal with people that have really good feedbacks. People with little or no feedback selling really expensive stuff and only accepting money orders is usually a red flag for a scam (though there are honest people just starting out on ebay). Ask lots of questions about the item you're buying, especially if they don't supply pics or good descriptions. If you think that something is overpriced, then don't buy it and wait for a cheaper one to arrive or ask on the forums. More or less ebay has its positives and negatives, you always have to watch yourself from being scammed.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
All I can recommend is that you contact the seller before the auction ends.If you receive no reply or an unintelligible,vague response,you should not bid.
-BB

complexs6

Camel Slug
I agree in the frustration but SNK doesnt give a shit about AES or MVS stuff on ebay or they would have someone being payed by them to look for auctions to report to ebay. Almost bought a boot ssVs it was in english but then found out they didnt make special with a english label. Be careful and ask stuff before buying if you have doubt dont bid on it. I am starting to only buy carts from people on here alot are honest and will say its a boot or not and most will offer to take pictures which I demand now before I buy something.

www.neogeomvs.com
SNK FOREVER

slugnoid

Another Striker
yeah i learned the hard way... i got excited about an MS3 cart for $30 with no picture of the cart on ebay... should have known better... got one of those awful textured carts... you could actually see all the eprom windows through the vents in the cart.
on the up side, i let the guy know it was a boot and he offered to take it back. ended up trading it back to him for a sanwa stick and some sanwa buttons... we'll see how that goes.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Many bootlegs were made on older SnK boards because many games used the same chipsets. It's fairly inexpensive if you have the right materials to do so. Newer games probably cost the bootleggers from $20-50 for each cart, but relatively minor compared to the profit that they saw from selling them.

Neo Gold

Good lord!!!:eek_2: ....i paid half that for mine recently & it is like brand new...this is robbery....& such low history with the seller too....never in a month of sundays will this sell at that clowns price.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
NEO GOLD said:
Good lord!!!:eek_2: ....i paid half that for mine recently & it is like brand new...this is robbery....& such low history with the seller too....never in a month of sundays will this sell at that clowns price.

Hey man, you never know. There are plenty of clown buyers to go along with clown sellers.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Yeah Kubrick... Your right !
damn... I knew it looked familiar.... Scam ?

under 12 hours left... Lets see if anyone picks it up.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I hate all those fake Metal Slug 5's out there now with colorless transparent shells.

It seems like it's considered acceptable behavior to sell bootlegs on ebay now, and I don't like it. It's making it harder to find good stuff to buy, and you have to read the descriptions and look at the photos much more carefully. It didn't used to be like this.

slugnoid

Another Striker
Neo Alec said:
I hate all those fake Metal Slug 5's out there now with colorless transparent shells.

It seems like it's considered acceptable behavior to sell bootlegs on ebay now, and I don't like it. It's making it harder to find good stuff to buy, and you have to read the descriptions and look at the photos much more carefully. It didn't used to be like this.

yeah... i emailed the seller of one on there right now. i asked if it was an offical cart... no reply. i guess it says alot that he shows the cart next to KOF 10th Anaversary

http://cgi.ebay.com/Like-NEW-NEO-GE...ryZ13716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Neo Gold

This is like a disease & must be stopped...more of us complain to e-bay about it the better...

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Have you reported your bootleg findings to egay. If you ask me I think they are incompetent...I was upfront and tried selling a bunch of legit nes games on egay and merely suggested that I would throw in a 72 in one Jap cart if the bidding went up to a certain amount. Now I wasn't selling the cart just the legit nes games but because I mentioned the 72 in one cart the whole listing was thrown out because egay's policy is removal of bootleg, enhanced, or converter. The funny thing is that you go back into egay and find tons of game converters, bootlegs and all that really shows that they can't keep up with the listings. Not sure but I think modded is also in the listings for removal.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
The fake Sapphires are what get to me. I want an original, but since so many of them are fake I know even if I find one that is legit, and later I change my mind and want to sell it, I will not get the price I paid for it. Buyers will be wary, just like me. If I accidentally purchase one of those boot games I know I can't sell it and I would be stuck with it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
slugnoid said:
yeah... i emailed the seller of one on there right now. i asked if it was an offical cart... no reply. i guess it says alot that he shows the cart next to KOF 10th Anaversary

http://cgi.ebay.com/Like-NEW-NEO-GE...ryZ13716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
When you see something like this, where a hacker game like "KOF 10th Anniversary" is in there, you can assume it's a bootleg unless you have reason to believe otherwise (i.e. serial number/holographic label).

I see these colorless transparent shells for newer games a lot, and I'm sure they're all not real.

ironish said:
The fake Sapphires are what get to me. I want an original, but since so many of them are fake I know even if I find one that is legit, and later I change my mind and want to sell it, I will not get the price I paid for it. Buyers will be wary, just like me. If I accidentally purchase one of those boot games I know I can't sell it and I would be stuck with it.
You mean like a copy of the CD? Because I got one of those uncomfirmed but probably official ones that guy was foolishly selling on here for only like $50 and it was fine.

slugnoid

Another Striker
Neo Alec said:
When you see something like this, where a hacker game like "KOF 10th Anniversary" is in there, you can assume it's a bootleg unless you have reason to believe otherwise (i.e. serial number/holographic label).

the sad thing is... we all know KOF 10th is a hack/boot... whatever, but you can see in the pic that the label is holographic (though it has no serial) these people are getting far too good:crying:

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
slugnoid said:
the sad thing is... we all know KOF 10th is a hack/boot... whatever, but you can see in the pic that the label is holographic (though it has no serial) these people are getting far too good:crying:

Yeah... Whats the deal with this ?
Surely thats a bit above and beyond with regards the rest of the cart

:kekeke: Its funny, the effort... But not so !

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
NEO GOLD said:
This is like a disease & must be stopped...more of us complain to e-bay about it the better...

Hey NEO GOLD you live like 10 mins away from me ! Oh and yeah your right, just dont get the feeling ebay would give a shite !

jetblue

Crossed Swords Squire
wow,i had no idea there were fakes. I thought it was impossible to forge them.
And here i am about to buy like crazy off ebay and other places thinking my only worry was if the carts were burnt out.
Take a look at this pic,i was about to buy it. Does it look real?
world_heroes_2.jpg