help a newb

Coleman

n00b
I am a long time collector of classic video games but i am new to the neo geo. Based on what i have seen and read i have decided to buy an aes but now i am hearing alot about mods. I want to make sure that i get the most for my money. Can someone explain to me what a unibios upggrade is for. the console that i am looking at has version 2.1 and i am wondering if this will allow me to play MVS carts without an adaptor as well as what kind of problems i will run into

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
There is no way to play MVS carts on an AES system without an adapter like the Phantom-1, they have completely different pinouts.

The unibios will allow you to mess with the soft-dip settings in a games, which basically lets you do things like have blood in USA mode for certain games etc.

neotopia

n00b
a consolized MVS is simply an Arcade motherboard (1, 2,4,6 slots) thats been modified to work on your home TV. It is probably the next best thing to an actual arcade cab.

I started out with an AES system also. But using a phantom-1 to convert the MVS games was a pain in the butt. Now I have a 6-slot Neo Geo cab. yeah, its heaven in a Red wooden box.:make_fac: :

If you need a home system Neo Geo (AES), I have both, Japanese and US version.

Coleman

n00b
Well i am interested in an AES but i am not rih and i want the most bang for my buck. I will probably endup with a mvs later on down the road but for right now i just want an aes. I don't however want to worryy about trial and error of learning to mod a 2expensive system so i would prefer one that is finished. Let me know what you have available

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
If you're looking for bang for your buck and aren't rich, AES is exactly the wrong way to go. Price some games for it.

Save up the extra money and get a consolized MVS or MVS + supergun. Your wallet will thank you later when you start buying games.

complexs6

Camel Slug
I would get a supergun off D-Lite at multimods.com (go to the supergun section) and then buy a Neo Geo MVS Board from someone on here or ebay. The advantage in having a supergun is you can play other jamma games. What is a huge must have is a pause button also on a MVS. I recommend doing alot research before you buy anything.

My setup: Supergun is a Mass System (I dont recommend it), MV-1B Board with unibios 2.1 JMKurtz installed, Games on top on supergun and Neo Geo Hyper 64 next to supergun.
03-30-06_0054.jpg

03-30-06_0057.jpg

Coleman

n00b
I am not really an electronics expert but i have been checking out the sites that offer instructions on how to make a super gun- If anyone out there knows how to make one of these and could stear me in the right direction as far as the right method and were to get the best parts that would be much appreciated. I am also a little bit concerned with the JAMMA pin connector. If i set it up for a neo geo MVS it uses some pins that a standard jamma does not will this create any compatability problems with PCB boards vs. MVS board? Also is there any reason to buy a 6 slot for a super gun?
Another concern that i want to straighten out is do the standard Neo-Geo controllers fit the ports on a MVS board?
Any other land mines that the more knowledgable people on this board could help me side step would be greatly appreciated.
:help:

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
AES

If your still looking for AES I just saw a mint one on the bay, low serial and low start price... Looks good.

Coleman

n00b
You guys have all convinced me that a MVS is the way to go - Now i just need to figure out how to make a super gun

Coleman

n00b
OK i am putting together a a shoping ;ist for a MVS i want to be able to use it with all Jamma pcb boards and any other boards that may apply - Can anyone help me out on whwere to get quality partsand point me in the right direction to avoid the common problems that i will run into?