power supply question - WIRED SC200 BACKWARDS :(

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
I recently built a supergun and apparently 12 volts got fed to both the 5v and 12v. I used a metal case and thought I earth grounded it. but when i plugged it in i got a nasty popping noise and i'm afraid I killed my cps2 game. My question is, how do i earth ground something and could I have killed my game?

thanks

Last edited:

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
I fail to see where the field ground comes into this but sending 12V through the 5V pins will break something at least in the CPS2 mobo. If your lucky the game itself might have survied. Field ground shouldn't really matter at all since it's only there for personal protection once your past the PSU.

Try opening the mobo up and look at the pcb after burned out components, it can perhaps be repaired but a new cp2 will only cost you about $30 anyways. The popping sound might also have come from the PSU itself, there is a fuse in most of them and if you are extremly lucky that might have been the only thing that broke.

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
It was only plugged in for less than a second twice. Are you saying my B board has died also?

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If you plugged the +5 and +12v lines together, the popping noises you heard were either power supply capacitors or motherboard components... or both.

You should take the covers off the games & see how many chips have basically blown their tops off in little pieces.

Most likely both boards are fried.

RJ

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Even if you didnt short +5v and +12 together, shooting 12 volts on the +5v line is more than enough to fry a bunch of components.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Rule #1....

When booting a Supergun for the first time, ALWAYS use a CHEAP PCB.....

I use either Kageki, Bottom of the 9th or Relief Pitcher.

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
I have a 4-slot bottom board (that goes to crosshatch no matter which top board I assemble it with) that I use for testing.

P.S.Oh, and if you need a new US or JP (as they're identical except for button colors) CPS2 A board, I've got a spare one I can sell. PM if interested.

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
Okay, I took the cover off of my japanese super turbo b-board and it looks fine, no burnt traces and ceartainly no shattered bits of chips. Is is safe to say that I should just buy another A board and test, I have since repaired the problem on my super gun, but if anyone has anyhting important to add about fitting a metal din plug on a metal case as far as precautions or safety tips (fuses?). I'm using a SC 200(2000- corrections anyone?) Jameco power-supply and I was told I don;t have to add any fuses because it already has a fuse inside the powersupply. I might have accidently sent the 5v and 12v across the grounds because the din was wired backwards. I really hope to go I didn't kill ST. Would my phoenix CPS2 roms also be destroyed or curropted.

Mike :(

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
Fuck. I think I wired the Din backwards and in doing sent current to the case as I had a ground wire on what I thought was the ground running to the case itself. Shit, I feel totally foolish. When looking at the5-pin din from the plug that goes to the jack, is it arranged as follows from left to right (assuming the dimple earth ground plug thing is facing down.

5v 12v ground groung ground?

I wired it backwards. Am I still fucked?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Lime2K said:
I have a 4-slot bottom board (that goes to crosshatch no matter which top board I assemble it with) that I use for testing.

There is probably a bad connection where the top and bottom boards connect together...

Inspect/clean the Pins...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
thchardcore said:
Fuck. I think I wired the Din backwards and in doing sent current to the case as I had a ground wire on what I thought was the ground running to the case itself. Shit, I feel totally foolish. When looking at the5-pin din from the plug that goes to the jack, is it arranged as follows from left to right (assuming the dimple earth ground plug thing is facing down.

5v 12v ground groung ground?

I wired it backwards. Am I still fucked?

GET A MULTIMETER....

That way you can test the voltages BEFORE you hook up a MB...

SC200's are very resilient... It might still work...

And Dont work on shit while Stoned Mr. THC HARDCORE>

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
GET A MULTIMETER....

That way you can test the voltages BEFORE you hook up a MB...

SC200's are very resilient... It might still work...

And Dont work on shit while Stoned Mr. THC HARDCORE>

Thats good to hear, and hey if my name didn't give it away, the my location did (santa cruz). I wasn't stoned while I was working on it, my name references the band the hope conspiracy and the hardcore part is sort of a joke.

:)

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
Yes, but i reverse my earlier statement, i simply wired 5v and 12v to the ground wires, and the popping noise was my speaker.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
If it was the speaker that went pop you still sent current though the mother board.

FG = field ground that is what you connect to the case.
GND = The ground for the board, buttons etc.

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
It seems to work fine, but has anyone ever experienced random ass split second "garbage" on screen with thier ST. It's a phoenixed japanese board and every so often the screen will just give me a hick-up for no reason. Game plays fine though, sound works and there isnt any physical damage. Even passed the Ram checks perfectly. Is this a normal thing, I thought I watched a video with the same error on someone's page but just wanted a second opinion. Busted A board maybe?
DERRTY A -board?

Mike

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
You were lucky, most arcade psus supply 1 amp max on the 12 volt rail, the 5 volts draws several amps, thats probably what saved your bacon. The excesive draw on the 12 volts probably dropped that voltage enough for it not to cause damage.