liquid in projection bulbs?

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
I screwed up, and the oily liquid inside the lense of a rear projection tube came out. First off, what is this liquid? Secondly, where can I find some of it, or can I use distilled water or something like that?

p.s. sony tubes won't fit into a toshiba fitting :(

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
I have got a Mitsubishi rear projector that im fixing at the moment and i have been told that the liquid is pretty corrosive so watch your hands. I dont think that distilled water will cut it in those conditions either.

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
Berty said:
I have got a Mitsubishi rear projector that im fixing at the moment and i have been told that the liquid is pretty corrosive so watch your hands. I dont think that distilled water will cut it in those conditions either.
well, It got all over the place... I tried to clean it up as best I could, but I couldn't get all of it cleaned up seeing as I was cleaning it out of a particleboard cabinet... it isn't burning to the touch or irritating at all, but I did wash my hands after touching it because it was a little sticky. It was almost like a heavy valve oil (for those of you who play brass instruments). Why do they use this oily stuff anyways? What benefit is there that would require a liquid between the screen and the magnifyer?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's coolant...

You can get it from a parts place that sells projection TV parts...

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
channelmaniac said:
It's coolant...

You can get it from a parts place that sells projection TV parts...
that makes sence... now I just need to find a place that sells replacement rp-tv parts :\

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
Just make sure that you clean it all off the circuit boards asap. I have a heard a few horror stories about the stuff. That is why the new mitsubsi rear projectors come fitted with a plastic drip tray under the bulbs.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
As channelmaniac said, its coolant oil to transfer the heat to the cooling fins. It doesnt mix well with anything but the original stuff.

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
just an update... I got a few cans of the stuff from mcm (might as well replace it from the other tubes as well to keep things nice and clean). According to the msds that I was sent, it does mild to moderate irritation to eyes if you splash it in your eyes, and mild irritation to skin... so it's not reccomended to take a bath in the stuff, and don't go drinking it.