Hi all

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
Just wanted to say a quick hello, am new to the forums.

Have recently aquired an AES system after years of wanting one, and am in the process of picking up a supergun so i can go down the MVS route as well.

Could anyone tell me which is the most userfriendly KOF to start with ? should i just go for '94 ?

Im also really fancying SVC Chaos, been a bit of a SF fan, is it any good ? couldnt find a review on the site.

Thanks all :)

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
'98 is gonna' be your most reccomended KOF, even though '97 is the more fun 1P experience. (For me at least)--seems to be my catch-phrase today.

SVC can be better as a rental--for XBOX if you can find it. It's really not that great a game. But if you really want it, nobody's stopping you.

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
A friend actually suggested '97 as well, so cool thanks will go for that one first.

Just a quick question re: the supergun, has anyone got any experience with the Raven one ? as thats what im looking at picking up (200GBP i believe).

Ta :)

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
Hello welcome to the forums. As for KOF's 98 and 02 seem to be the one everyone goes for, though my favorite at the moment is 96. As for SVC chaos, It seems that everyone has at least one thing that bugs him/her about it. I agree that you should definately rent it first for the XBox or get one at walmart for $20.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
the raven superguns are a bit overpriced and frail

where are you based in the uk ? south/north? etc..

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
Im from Leeds. Have to be honest its all pretty new to me, which is why i was looking at a company like Raven.

By the way Kernow, i love animal crossing !

Last edited:

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
You have officially tried the gateway drug that will take you down the pocket breaking path of SNK addiction. Congrats!

KOF 98 definately rules, 02 being my next favorite. I wish I knew more about 97 but that is an unfortunate gap in my collection. SVC Chaos is pretty good, but it really doesn't play like SF or KOF...it's kinda in a league of its own.

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
dubdubdub said:
You have officially tried the gateway drug that will take you down the pocket breaking path of SNK addiction. Congrats!

KOF 98 definately rules, 02 being my next favorite. I wish I knew more about 97 but that is an unfortunate gap in my collection. SVC Chaos is pretty good, but it really doesn't play like SF or KOF...it's kinda in a league of its own.

I really like your consolized MVS !!!

HHmm im starting to get the feeling that the whole KOF experience is very personalised. Damn :smirk: That means i might have to try them all !

,I have to be honest i still really want SVC Chaos.............

Matarick

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Even though it isn't KOF, I suggest you to get Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. It has great graphics and fast gameplay.

Another game to go for Breakers Revenge. It also have large sprites, great colors, and smooth gameplay.

I wish I find more time to play the neo but I hope I find the right tools to open up my Real Arcade Pro, switch the cables around (I hope it comes with quick disconnects) and play them on my default PS2 to Neo adapter setup.

As for a supergun, I hope you have a full SCART 60hz TV (lucky UK SOB) so you just use an RGB cable to get things going. Also, invest in a great joystick.

A for me, I hope I find to play my existing games before I invest in a KOF game, maybe 1997 or 1998 just for kicks.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
While SVC Chaos could of been alot better, to me it looked like it was too rushed. Well, if your going to consider getting the mvs version, I guess the good part about it is that you can still get a full kit for around $50-75 on ebay.

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
Deff, sounds like a safer bet then for me to wait, and get it mvs.

Next question :p What shooter would you suggest, that is most similar to r-type ?

Matarick

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Look out for Pulstar or Last Resort the Neo Geo. They are fairly decent Rtype clones for the console but if you want to splurge, go for Last Hope, an indie effort for the AES cart. Pure Euro madness from what I read about that game.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Welcome!
My personal fave is KOF96 and it is the one where the 'new feel' started. However, KOF97,98,02 and 01 are all good choices. You may have to try the roms buddy.

As far for shooters I would choose Last Resort.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Hello welcome! The MVS carts for KOF are so cheap now, you should definately start with 94' and work your way through the whole series.

My favorite is 95, but there are so many good moments. I'm envious of you if you haven't delved into the series yet. There are so many hours of quality gaming.

If you want some kofs for strictly two player comp. 98' and 2k2' are the favorites (I prefer 2k2 out of those two.)

w0000t!:buttrock:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Hello, welcome to ng.com. For KOF's, lots of people will say lots of different things about which is their favorite. Personally mine are 96 and 98. 94 95 and 97 are all also good, but I haven't played them as much. 99 is a good game but the MVS version doesn't let you play as Iori or Kyo without unlocking them, which makes a lot of people not like it so much, I don't know about AES version though, maybe its easier. 2000 is good if you wanna buy it. It was the first KOF that I ever owned on AES, it was very fun, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to sell it for the price I bought it for.

If you want a good shooter, there are lots of those. I would recommend Ghost Pilots, its a great game by every means, and you can get a homecart for about $30-40 I had one for a little while but I sold it just a few days ago. I just got this game for MVS called Aero Fighters 2 (Sonic Wings 2 in Japan) its hella fun and I would recommend it to anyone who likes shooters. I used to have Blazing Star on MVS and I plan to reclaim it soon. Thats also a good game. One of the best shmup games on Neo that I've never owned only played in the arcades is Last Resort. I want to get a cart of that, if you have an AES I think you can get one for the low price of $100 or so, MVS isn't much less though. If you have the chance to get Prehistoric Isle for MVS for a good price, I would suggest getting that one too, especially if you like the idea of shooting dinosaurs with misiles and rescuing humans in a helecoptor.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
hey welcome! my "first" kof was 2002 and that's still my preference today, 98 was awesome too.

Andyh

Cheng's Errand Boy
alec said:
Hello, welcome to ng.com. For KOF's, lots of people will say lots of different things about which is their favorite. Personally mine are 96 and 98. 94 95 and 97 are all also good, but I haven't played them as much. 99 is a good game but the MVS version doesn't let you play as Iori or Kyo without unlocking them, which makes a lot of people not like it so much, I don't know about AES version though, maybe its easier. 2000 is good if you wanna buy it. It was the first KOF that I ever owned on AES, it was very fun, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to sell it for the price I bought it for.

If you want a good shooter, there are lots of those. I would recommend Ghost Pilots, its a great game by every means, and you can get a homecart for about $30-40 I had one for a little while but I sold it just a few days ago. I just got this game for MVS called Aero Fighters 2 (Sonic Wings 2 in Japan) its hella fun and I would recommend it to anyone who likes shooters. I used to have Blazing Star on MVS and I plan to reclaim it soon. Thats also a good game. One of the best shmup games on Neo that I've never owned only played in the arcades is Last Resort. I want to get a cart of that, if you have an AES I think you can get one for the low price of $100 or so, MVS isn't much less though. If you have the chance to get Prehistoric Isle for MVS for a good price, I would suggest getting that one too, especially if you like the idea of shooting dinosaurs with misiles and rescuing humans in a helecoptor.

Actually ive been watching a Ghost Pilot cart on ebay which is finishing soon and going pretty cheap so i will try and pick that up.

I think as RBjakeSpecial said, KOF mvs prices are cheap, i might as well work my way through them all, the thought of all that gameplay is great :glee: might have to book a week off work though !

Im also really interested in Metal Slug 3 for the MVS, and i see there is one on the forums for sale so hopefully i can pick that up as well. Will be my first Slug game !

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Matarick said:
Look out for Pulstar or Last Resort the Neo Geo. They are fairly decent Rtype clones for the console but if you want to splurge, go for Last Hope, an indie effort for the AES cart. Pure Euro madness from what I read about that game.

Last Hope isn't out yet but its still on for a 2nd quarter release.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Darklighterx said:
Welcome!
My personal fave is KOF96 and it is the one where the 'new feel' started.

Same here id pick that as a great place to start.

Hi Andy n welcome............like said before the Raven gun does work alright but for the money you could get something much better, probably from the selling sections on the forum here or ebay, even the Lightweight Mak Mini has all the features you need for Neo Geo @ around £70 delivered.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
For MVS pick up a board that has the controller ports on it (£40), one of the £8 supergun PCBs on ebay, a scart lead (£3) and a PC PSU (£15)

A full setup (except controllers) for £66