LCD monitor for shmups question..

TimeKillr

New Challenger
Hey guys,

I'm almost done building my supergun, and now that I have a PGM system on the way I'm looking into getting some nice shmups (Dodonpachi 2 would be my choice for now anyway).

I've thought out that the best solution for a cab-less person like me would be to get a LCD monitor that I can flip around to match the TATE modes on various shmups.

I have a few questions though regarding LCD monitors in general, and a specific one for shmups.

1- Do most LCD monitors allow to be turned 90 degrees in any direction? I would think it doesn't make a difference, but you never really know.

2- Are you guys aware of LCD monitors that have VGA and Component inputs? I haven't seen one yet, and I looooooove the VGA out on my AW :)

3- I know LCD monitors have some ghosting issues on PC games and the like; is the problem still apparent on TVs? Would it really affect 2D gaming as much as it does 3D gaming? (where full-screen refreshes mean death)

On a completely unrelated note, wouldn't it be possible to do a Jamma-type RGB to VGA without much conflict (ie without transcoders and such)? I've been looking at the pinouts for VGA and while it's quite easy to figure out how the RGB signals + ground go, also having read that a lot of the pins are useless for pure RGB signals (pins 4, 11, 12 and 15) but what frightens me are pins 13 and 14; V-Sync and H-Sync. Jamma only provides "Video sync", but I have no clue what that means, exactly. I've read that you need to connect the Video sync line to the H-Sync line, but would that normally work with VGA monitors?

DaemoN

Camel Slug
I have an 8ms 19" LCD on my Naomi cab... it's SWEET SWEET SWEET and nobody has managed to spot any ghosting whatsoever.

It's DARNED SMOOTH!

TimeKillr

New Challenger
DaemoN said:
I have an 8ms 19" LCD on my Naomi cab... it's SWEET SWEET SWEET and nobody has managed to spot any ghosting whatsoever.

It's DARNED SMOOTH!

Is it a TV or a computer monitor? Component or VGA?

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Mine's a computer monitor, VGA.

Naomi/Atomiswave------>Monitor

DaemoN

Camel Slug
It's one of Naomi's greatest features! Hi-res 31khz video!

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
TimeKillr said:
1- Do most LCD monitors allow to be turned 90 degrees in any direction? I would think it doesn't make a difference, but you never really know.

2- Are you guys aware of LCD monitors that have VGA and Component inputs? I haven't seen one yet, and I looooooove the VGA out on my AW :)

3- I know LCD monitors have some ghosting issues on PC games and the like; is the problem still apparent on TVs? Would it really affect 2D gaming as much as it does 3D gaming? (where full-screen refreshes mean death)

I do know that a Samung SyncMaster 213T will let you rotate to a 90" angle and that I have had no problems what so ever with ghosting issues. There are LCD tvs that have VGA imput as well as component, hdmi, etc so that might be a way you can go to run arcade boards in VGA that will support it.