Another Bootleg Question....

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi,
I saw a copy of Prehistoric Isle 2 up for grabs at a decent price, and thought I'd take a risk on it. Well, I opened it up, and predictably saw eproms on the Prog board. Socketed eproms at that......However, looking at the Cha board, it's got its original Toshiba roms - NGH#255 (C1 through C6 + M1) and its CMC chip all soldered fine on a genuine SNK board dated 1999. The Prog board soldering also looks great, but it's a SNK 1994 board.
After a closer inspection, a couple of jumpers on the Cha board have been resoldered, and leg 120 on the CMC chip has been lifted, as well as a blob of solder replacing a jumper on the Prog board. Anyhow, just wondered if this is a boot, or a repair? Cheers for your help, and here's the piccies (sorry if they're bad...and for not covering the eprom windows....)
CHA.jpg

The CHA Board
PROG.jpg

The PROG Board

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I would venture to guess that your PI2 is a repair of sorts. Generally boots don't have security lockout chips on them, but who knows. Those bootleggers are pretty crafty these days...

-B

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
cover the eprom windows

With all those Eproms I'd say it's a boot....

if I had bought it I automatically would of figured boot when opening..

But nothing surprises me these days it may be some sort of repair..

Curious..
How does it work..?

Did it come with an original label?

Jontra

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That's 100% a bootleg. Mine english PI2 cart looks different.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
Your Prehistoric Isle 2 looks like a boot. It's hard to tall as we can't see the stamps on the chips on the Chafio.

A legit Prehistoric Isle 2 looks like this :

preisle2a1si.jpg

preisle2b3fz.jpg

Last edited:

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi,
Cheers for the replies - both my boards are identical to Mutations (even down to the serials including the dark brown contacts on the CHA board), with the exception of the eproms....the chips on the CHA board are identical to mutations n' all - all official Toshiba roms. Would seem a little odd that a bootlegger would go to the trouble of using a genuine CHA board in a boot?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
dannywhac said:
both my boards are identical to Mutations (even down to the serials including the dark brown contacts on the CHA board)

Not quite, yours has rom location V3. It looks more of a conversion than a bootleg.

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Cheers again for the responses - so I can assume it's some form of conversion (from my understanding though, the presence of the correctly labeled roms on the CHA board would suggest a repair?) or repair rather than a boot, and I don't have to contact the bloke I bought from.....Just thought I'd better check as its the first PI2 I've owned, and all the other boots I've encountered have been slightly more obvious...
As the old boot recognition site is down at the mo' and I've got a couple of gig free webspace I might slap up a boot/original/repair ID site in the near future (was going to about a year ago, but you know how it is....)

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I'd guess it's a repair job. Why would they bother making a boot with a legit board? Plus we all know SNK were a bit crap with their boards. How many legit variations of different carts have we seen?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I agree that it must be a conversion. I don't see any other reason for it to have the correctly numbered Toshiba roms.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The person you bought it from probably did not realise the authenticity issue.

You should still have grounds for return/refund unless you purchased "as is"

Having said that, you did not buy a bootleg cart.

If the game runs OK, live with it, imho

dannywhac said:
Cheers again for the responses - so I can assume it's some form of conversion (from my understanding though, the presence of the correctly labeled roms on the CHA board would suggest a repair?) or repair rather than a boot, and I don't have to contact the bloke I bought from.....Just thought I'd better check as its the first PI2 I've owned, and all the other boots I've encountered have been slightly more obvious...
As the old boot recognition site is down at the mo' and I've got a couple of gig free webspace I might slap up a boot/original/repair ID site in the near future (was going to about a year ago, but you know how it is....)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
From the pics, it looks like a bootleg. Mine looks exactly like the one Mutation posted, including all the lettering on the boards. At this point, for me it comes down to the number on those Toshiba chips. Since it has number 255, I'd say you're probably okay, but if it were a different number, it would definitely be a boot.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
hey guys, im still trying to figure out what's a bootleg and what's not. What about those carts that have the "SNK...removal of this sticker will void the warranty XXXXX (numbers)" If a cart has those, does that mean its legit? I have a board that has Brazil chips on it, that make any difference? I'll try to post pics soon.

complexs6

Camel Slug
Sorry Carlos that usually means a boot. sry. I recommend playing the game and leaving it one for a while, if you have no sound like in ur case its a boot. But you should always check inside look at the site below

Here is a good site.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
Well the cart now has sound, it works fine now, is there any way of telling whether its a bootleg with the gameplay?

Anyone have the original boards to Nam 1975, Fatal Fury, and Sengoku?? So i can compare and tell if its legit cuz my MOM took MY camera :oh_no:

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
CarlosZ said:
hey guys, im still trying to figure out what's a bootleg and what's not. What about those carts that have the "SNK...removal of this sticker will void the warranty XXXXX (numbers)" If a cart has those, does that mean its legit?
If that sticker is intact and has a serial number, it's almost definitely real.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
Here are the Nam boards, and another game that im just wondering about:

Nam 1975:
Nam.jpg

Other game:
Nam2.jpg

Aero.jpg

You see the Nam has brazil chips and other ones as well. The other game has that weird blue thing connected on a rom chip (its a japanese game) , just wondering. Thanks for looking guys!

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Carlos, those games are legit. Nam is a very early MVS game, which is why the board looks different than most other carts. As for the second game, having soldered caps and such is normal for some games.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
awesome thanks! Will probably frequent this thread and post more pics of more boards later. :chimp:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
My Samurai 5 has all kinds of weird wires hanging off of it on the inside. They look like they could easily snap off. That doesn't mean it's not legit. I think in most cases as long as the correct number is on the chips and it looks okay, then it's probably legit.

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
Man... I feel like there's waaaayy too much info on how to describe a bootleg.

Find a certain chip then your ok... your still not safe

the board should say this then its ok...even still your not safe

the soldering should look legit...your still not ok

The label should be...STILL not safe

serial number...matching blah blah

DAMIT lol I want to learn how to pick them out but its too damn confusing. :crying:

Asure

Captain Dick,
About the PI2, i think it's some kind of conversion, why all the eproms ?

At first i thought, the game uses encryption, that's why the one board is original. However i can't see the writing on the original board. It could be a repair, as suggested before. Then it would have been a home-repair of some sort. Perhaps one person bought it, but it had graphics problems.. so he/she re-burned the roms in the board, and put them in, instead of the originals.

About bootlegs, you should visit the gallery and get a better impression :)

It's not updated for a long time. I've been busy with my new home and was lurking around here during that period.

http://www.jamma.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=768