Some sounds on my MV-4F board don't work! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Ok, got a new cab last week, and certain sounds on my games don't work. Specific sound effect such as firing sounds and all digitized voices don't work. Some effects work and the BGM usually works. Its not the cart connection for sure because it does this on all the slots. I was playing Metal Slug X and all the sound effects came back for about 4 seconds when I was fighting a helicopter but just like that they were gone again. Does anyone know what might be doing this? Please Help ME!

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
If you are running through a standard Jamma harness, that is probably why. Look up the slight differences in wiring, or im sure someone will post how to modify it for ya

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Its a dedicated 4 slot cab so I would imagine it would be wired for a Neo Geo. How could I tell if the harness is wrong?

Its wired for the Credit LEDs Memory Card and Headphones.

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
If its a true 4 slot cab, then Im not sure. Possible a speaker or grounding issue? Wait for someone else on this one then heh

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
could it be the Z80 processor? When I bought it there were only 3 slots working and the guy said it could be fixed by replacing the z80. I asked about this in the forums a few days ago and was told the Z80 is a sound processor. Since then I've got the slot working but the sound still gives problems. Does the Z80 process digitized voices and other samples read off the cart?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
What cleaning methods are you using to clean the carts connectors?

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Wiring will either produce 'no sound at all' or 'sound works fine'.

You wouldnt get 'no digitized voices and effects'. Scratch that off.

Clean the slots and the cart(s) and see if the problem persists. In case you have an UNIBIOS, I would advise running a ROM CRC check on the cartridge(s).

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
No Unibios. Wiring is OK i believe. The problem is on all 4 slots so I don't think its the contacts, but i cleaned them with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol if it makes any difference.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I did that. problem still persists.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Ok, I was cleaning the whole board today and I saw this thing that was all gunked up. I don't know what it is but it looks like it has something to do with sound. Does having this stuff in it affect the way the board runs. Since a picture is worth 1000 words, here it is:

could this sloppy work be the source of my problem?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
alec said:
No Unibios. Wiring is OK i believe. The problem is on all 4 slots so I don't think its the contacts, but i cleaned them with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol if it makes any difference.

But if the carts connectors are dirty it'll happen on all 4 slots..Cleaning with rubbing alcohol may not have any effect...believe me
icon35.gif

I cleaned my mobo's connectors with the fine side of a cardboard nail file (gently)...The prong connectors need to be a golden-shiny brass color for a true clean connection...then I clean the connectors off(residue)with Contact Cleaner...Also can use toothbrush and 91 % rubbing alcohol..
Only would my mobos give me no problems after I did this type cleaning..

The carts: toothbrush and rubbing alcohol may have no effect..
Most of the problems are due to dirty cart connectors.

I open them and use (dry) Green or Red Scotch Brite to clean the connectors to a Golden shine then I use 91% alcohol to get off the dirt and residue.
You can use very fine grain sandpaper..

I've been using these methods for a long time..

They need to look like this..
2005_1130_150937AA.jpg

2005_1130_150931AA.jpg

...........................................................................................................
Notice the small yellow part I missed on the connectors below..This is from a quick use of scotch brite..I haven't cleanned the dirt off yet using alcohol

FightFever.jpg

Last edited:

DaemoN

Camel Slug
NEVER EVER use sandpaper on golden contacts. EVER.

I dont know who taught you that, but the person was probably drunk.

There are various decent methods to make contacts look like new, but sanding them even lightly is NOT one of them.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Its not the carts, it the mobo fo sho. The carts play sound fine in Prosper1ne's neo but not in mine. I don't think I'm gonna clean it with a nail file.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
alec said:
Its not the carts, it the mobo fo sho. The carts play sound fine in Prosper1ne's neo but not in mine. I don't think I'm gonna clean it with a nail file.

Cool.....Do what you think is best.....Good Luck...:buttrock:

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
alec said:
Ok, I was cleaning the whole board today and I saw this thing that was all gunked up. I don't know what it is but it looks like it has something to do with sound. Does having this stuff in it affect the way the board runs. Since a picture is worth 1000 words, here it is:

could this sloppy work be the source of my problem?
I can't tell 100% because of the size of the pic, but it looks like a leaky battery to me. Could someone verify that? If the battery's leaking, you need to remove it IMMEDIATELY, clean around that area, and pray it hasn't damaged more than some traces on the board.

* note: I have no idea where the battery is on a 4 slot or what it looks like but that looks to be about the right size and shape.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
My vote is on the sound section on the board... Maybe Nightmare Tony can chime in on this one - There are a few different op-amps on the board and if they mix different sound sources through those to combine them then a problem in one of those would cause some sounds to be missing.

My Sega Turbo Out Run board is like that...

RJ

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
My vote is on the sound section on the board... Maybe Nightmare Tony can chime in on this one - There are a few different op-amps on the board and if they mix different sound sources through those to combine them then a problem in one of those would cause some sounds to be missing.

My Sega Turbo Out Run board is like that...

RJ

Is something like that fixable?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
You'll need something like an amplifier probe or an oscilloscope to trace back the audio circuits & see what signals are going where...

But... Let's wait for Nightmare Tony to see the thread and make some comments since he knows more about these boards than just about anyone.

RJ

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Does anyone know what would fix this prob? This is yet annother day w/o sound

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Could shotgunning the caps help in my situation? If a cap dies will it kill some of the sounds, or are they all or nothing? If 1 sound cap goes out will it take out all the sounds? Just curious and thought that maybe this could be my problem. I figured I would ask to see if I can get some info from someone knowlegable before I go do something stoopid.

Thanks.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I just tried to get some sound through the headphone jacks. It gave me the same sound problems as through the speakers. This leads me to believe even further that the problem is with the board and not the wiring inside the cab. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.