Super MVS Convertor II in the Neostore

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
:mad: Ok which serials of AES systems will require the $25.00 AC adaptor?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
neo_X7 said:
:mad: Ok which serials of AES systems will require the $25.00 AC adaptor?

For the price of the converter and AC, you might as well get a CMVS.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
For the price of the converter and AC, you might as well get a CMVS.

... and some kind of sexual favor too lol

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
MVS Adaptor Clarrification

Pep said:

Just to let you guys know, I checked it out and read everything Shawn had to say about it there. Also decided to see if maybe perhaps snk-capcom.com was also carrying the product and surely enough they are. The price is pretty much the same but the description and pics used for the item are different.

I am of course very interested in this item and I plan to purchase one regardless, but I have however some rather insteresting questions which are now confusing me regarding this item and maybe someone here or perhaps the design and/or sales team backing this item can answer them. Clarrifying them might help some others out there make their decisions.

Firstly:

Since information of this product first came forward, apparently the need to use the optional ac adaptor went from originally "non-existant" then to "required", then to "might be needed", and now according to snk-capcom.com it is now "only needed in certain scenarios which can actually be defined".

A direct quote from the design team which is placed on the snk-capcom website says the following:

"SNK AES have 2 kinds of console only,one kind use 5V DC , another kind use 12V DC, they can check their AC convertor,they can find the voltage for "output" from the label."

"IF the output mark "12V DC" ,then they can use our super AC adaptor; IF the output mark "5V DC" ,then they CAN'T use our super AC adaptor."

Forgive me but am I the only one who thinks that this is simply NOT clear enough?!?!?!?!?!?!? Does "can use" mean "they (can) get it if they want to" or does it mean "they (must) get it as it will be required for it to work"? And does "they can't use" mean "they don't need to purchase it" or does it mean "the adaptor is "un-useable" and therefore the converter won't work with there system AT ALL (with or without it)

(anyone here catch what I am saying and where I am lost here?)

Secondly:
I don't recall (certainly not in the beginning of the news of this item anyways) hearing any mention of the "adjustable potentiometer" and "red LED light" mounted on this device. Is it possible that the addition of these "purely aesthetic?" and/or "non-required" extras have been what caused the device to draw more power from the home console's ac adaptor and hence the ONLY reason in the first place for the entire need of the auxiliary adaptor?!

(Reason being cause if that is the case...why didn't the designers and/or testers of the device say thanks but no thanks to these features?) I mean if they are not needed for the FUNCTIONALITY and/or COMPATIBILITY of the device, then they are simply NOT NEEDED PERIOD. Am I not right here?

Unless that pot has to be tweaked on the carts that DO NOT power up (or work) with the device? SHORT VERSION...What the hell is that pot for!?

Well, any help here would be nice.
Otherwise, great product anyhow.
Thanks,
Billy Pitt

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know what you mean Billy, it's retarded. One thing I dont like is the "Cup" design when the MVS cart goes in, what if I want to play a boot which sometimes usually has a "thicker" cart? Also are the connectors super tight like the P1?

And lastly have all MVS games been tested with it? Everytime I ask them its "It should" which is like saying "Give me your money and you find out then let us know and we wont give you back your hard earned money since its all sales are final and you also might be having problems since you dont have our super adapter which would "probably" solve you problem but I cant guarantee it. Cash or Credit?"

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
SuperGun said:
Just to let you guys know, I checked it out and read everything Shawn had to say about it there. Also decided to see if maybe perhaps snk-capcom.com was also carrying the product and surely enough they are. The price is pretty much the same but the description and pics used for the item are different.

I am of course very interested in this item and I plan to purchase one regardless, but I have however some rather insteresting questions which are now confusing me regarding this item and maybe someone here or perhaps the design and/or sales team backing this item can answer them. Clarrifying them might help some others out there make their decisions.

Firstly:

Since information of this product first came forward, apparently the need to use the optional ac adaptor went from originally "non-existant" then to "required", then to "might be needed", and now according to snk-capcom.com it is now "only needed in certain scenarios which can actually be defined".

A direct quote from the design team which is placed on the snk-capcom website says the following:

"SNK AES have 2 kinds of console only,one kind use 5V DC , another kind use 12V DC, they can check their AC convertor,they can find the voltage for "output" from the label."

"IF the output mark "12V DC" ,then they can use our super AC adaptor; IF the output mark "5V DC" ,then they CAN'T use our super AC adaptor."

Forgive me but am I the only one who thinks that this is simply NOT clear enough?!?!?!?!?!?!? Does "can use" mean "they (can) get it if they want to" or does it mean "they (must) get it as it will be required for it to work"? And does "they can't use" mean "they don't need to purchase it" or does it mean "the adaptor is "un-useable" and therefore the converter won't work with there system AT ALL (with or without it)

(anyone here catch what I am saying and where I am lost here?)

Secondly:
I don't recall (certainly not in the beginning of the news of this item anyways) hearing any mention of the "adjustable potentiometer" and "red LED light" mounted on this device. Is it possible that the addition of these "purely aesthetic?" and/or "non-required" extras have been what caused the device to draw more power from the home console's ac adaptor and hence the ONLY reason in the first place for the entire need of the auxiliary adaptor?!

(Reason being cause if that is the case...why didn't the designers and/or testers of the device say thanks but no thanks to these features?) I mean if they are not needed for the FUNCTIONALITY and/or COMPATIBILITY of the device, then they are simply NOT NEEDED PERIOD. Am I not right here?

Unless that pot has to be tweaked on the carts that DO NOT power up (or work) with the device? SHORT VERSION...What the hell is that pot for!?

Well, any help here would be nice.
Otherwise, great product anyhow.
Thanks,
Billy Pitt

:chimp:

Shawn

snkusa.com
@ Billy:
I tested this new converter with every variant of home cart system that I currently have in my possession and it worked flawlessly without the need of the optional AC adapter. Based on this initial testing I now have the impression that most people won’t need this adapter, but only time will tell.

Also are the connectors super tight like the P1?

This new MVS Converter II does not require a tight “see-saw” installation like with the Phantom-1. It actually feels like you are plugging the MVS cartridge into your typical system slot.

And lastly have all MVS games been tested with it?

The manufacturer says it will work with all but I highly doubt that it was literally tested with every single Fatal Fury, KoF, and so on. If someone reports MVS cartridge incompatibility, and such an incompatibility is confirmed to exist, then the description would of course be revised accordingly.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Holy magic dwarfs!!….suddenly my post has been self edited with a direct links to the Neostore :rolleyes:

I hope the magic dwarfs could reply to the e-mail I sent them a couple of days ago when they can please :) :glee:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Shawn said:
@ Billy:
I tested this new converter with every variant of home cart system that I currently have in my possession and it worked flawlessly without the need of the optional AC adapter. Based on this initial testing I now have the impression that most people won’t need this adapter, but only time will tell. If someone reports MVS cartridge incompatibility, and such an incompatibility is confirmed to exist, then the description would of course be revised accordingly.

Thanks Shawn for some further details on this.
Another rumor that had also been tossed around which I failed to mention earlier was that the optional ac adaptor was only needed for PAL systems as oppossed to NTSC. (did SNK ever manufacture SECAM systems by the way?) Of course even if true, not something that would be of concern to most of us North Americans. However keep in mind that sales of these type of devices is actually much greater outside the United States.

Anyhow, the remaining confusion I guess for me is what EXACTLY does the optional ac adaptor "rectify" in regards to the converter anyhow?............In other words............IF and WHEN needed is the ac adaptor required in order for the device to WORK PERIOD...or in order for the device to be COMPATIBLE with CERTAIN games? Know what I mean?!

Again I am very much excited about this product and I think it is great to have yet another converter of this kind available. I guess (at first) like many others around here I was simply turned off by the entire ac adaptor thing as it just didn't go hand in hand with a well made product. (almost like an aftersight by the designers and again as I asked before...still wondering if the LED and POT were what ultimately required it)

But keep in mind yet another point of interest...in the end, it seems like the ac adaptor thing may not be such a big deal for those who are required to purchase it. Why? Heh...ask yourself this...Assuming the control deck can be operated with this ac adaptor (with or without the converter) and in that scenario does it hurt having a spare ac adaptor for your neo-geo console? Heck and what would it cost you to purchase one seperately as a back-up? More then this one I assure you!

(not so surprising that the "other guys" charge a hell of alot more for this "optional accesory" if/when not purchased WITH the mvs converter!)

Something to think about...
Billy Pitt

Last edited:

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
My guess is that the optional adpater will only be needed on the systems that use the typical 9V (or 10V) adapter which generally only has 1.2A output (I think that's the specs). These adapters may not have enough output if that device is drawing a decent amount of power, plus other gadgets you have hooked up -- multiple joysticks, memory card, video mods (neobitz included, or others), etc. The more devices you hook up, the more power you draw.

If that is the case and your Neo needs more power, there are cheaper solutions -- like buying a new adapter with more amperage.

The LED and the brightness pot are not going to add enough to warrant a new adapter. It's all those extra ICs and roms on the bigger games, the IC's in the converter, and everything else that needs power to function.

Shawn -- I can test this on every MVS game if you need me to ;)

Jeff

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I find it incredibly amusing that, according to the illustrations, combining a Rage of the Dragons MVS cart with the adapter equals a Burning Fight AES cart.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Murray said:
I find it incredibly amusing that, according to the illustrations, combining a Rage of the Dragons MVS cart with the adapter equals a Burning Fight AES cart.
Worth the asking price on its own.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
What's with the CD that says "DRIVER" on it and also has "USB" at the bottom? What is that used for?

Jeff

Shawn

snkusa.com
>> Shawn -- I can test this on every MVS game if you need me to

I’ll contact you by email, thanks Jeff.

>> What's with the CD that says "DRIVER" on it and also has "USB" at the bottom? What is that used for?

The mini CD contains this user guide.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
That's kinda lame :/

I was hoping that it was some sort of FLASH capability that they didn't mention. Speaking of flash, a flash cart for the AES would be very nice to have. That old Magic Drive thing was total crap. A real (functional) one with USB support would be on my list of must-have items. I have a hand-made flash cart of sorts (my homebrew dev cart) which works well, but requires the expensive eprom programmer to program the flash roms.

Shawn said:
>> What's with the CD that says "DRIVER" on it and also has "USB" at the bottom? What is that used for?

The mini CD contains this user guide.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Murray said:

So would a Burning Fight MVS cart + Convertor = ROTD AES?? If it does, thats what I call a convertor. :kekeke:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
JMKurtz said:
My guess is that the optional adpater will only be needed on the systems that use the typical 9V (or 10V) adapter which generally only has 1.2A output (I think that's the specs). These adapters may not have enough output if that device is drawing a decent amount of power, plus other gadgets you have hooked up -- multiple joysticks, memory card, video mods (neobitz included, or others), etc. The more devices you hook up, the more power you draw.

If that is the case and your Neo needs more power, there are cheaper solutions -- like buying a new adapter with more amperage.

The LED and the brightness pot are not going to add enough to warrant a new adapter. It's all those extra ICs and roms on the bigger games, the IC's in the converter, and everything else that needs power to function.

Shawn -- I can test this on every MVS game if you need me to ;)

Jeff
:spock: Ok so my AES AC adapter is a NEO-POW3 DC 10V 1000mA, will I need the optional adapter, thanks.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
JMKurtz said:
Speaking of flash, a flash cart for the AES would be very nice to have. That old Magic Drive thing was total crap. A real (functional) one with USB support would be on my list of must-have items.
So... are you implying that there already is a flash cart for MVS? Or simply saying that any flash cart would be nice?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
The MGD2 (Multi Game Doctor 2) had a Neo attachment. I had one a long time ago and it was a complete pain in the ass to try and use (for Neo games). It also was very limited in what you could play on it because of the size of the games. The "roms" need to be in a special format, which differes from standard rom dumps.

After pissing around with it, I sold it off to Chris Ray, who I think still has it.

When Neo emulation first came about, those first set of rom dumps out there that were used were in the MGD2 format. The attachment for the MGD2 only allowed you to load a game into the cart. There was a different attachment to read a game and save the files to disk. I never did locate that part.

As for what I have now. I have a gutted MVS and AES boards that have pseudo-sockets (not standard DIP sockets - I use through-hole inserts) and then use FLASH roms that I can program in my programmer. I use FLASH roms as they are quicker and easier to work with than EPROMS. No "erasing" to deal with.

What would be great is an AES (or MVS) cart that had the flash roms on the PCB and had a USB interface that communicated with a controller that would flash the cart. It's totally doable.

In a seperate experiment -- after seeing the official proto boards, I wired up linear flash carts to a set of MVS boards and could read/program the flash cards on my Amiga 1200. This replicates the process from the official SNK proto carts, just mine wasn't as pretty, but worked.

Jeff

SpamYouToDeath said:
So... are you implying that there already is a flash cart for MVS? Or simply saying that any flash cart would be nice?

aria

Former Moderator
I have pruned the crap.
Next time the crap prunes you.
Just like Soviet Russia.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
OK, I tested the convertor last night with Metal Slug and KoF03, and it worked perfect except for an issue with the sound (sounds static like a blown speaker) even through headphones, although my AES games sound fine. I am using the 10V neo PSU, I would have thought if it was a problem of enough power it wouldn't run at all, but maybe someone else could give some answers.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
KBneospy said:
OK, I tested the convertor last night with Metal Slug and KoF03, and it worked perfect except for an issue with the sound (sounds static like a blown speaker) even through headphones, although my AES games sound fine. I am using the 10V neo PSU, I would have thought if it was a problem of enough power it wouldn't run at all, but maybe someone else could give some answers.

If it sounds garbled I dont think thats a power issue at all, more like an issue with the decryption of the sound file.

Did you try reinserting the cart into the converter and back into the AES? If the problem still persists I think we found bug #1.

Any other games with issues that you tried?