Naomi2 voltage adjustment?

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
I guess this has been asked before, but I need to know within what range can I adjust a Naomi2 (Cart only) board?

Also, where exactly do I take the reading from? I am using a Capcom I/O.

My boardmaster playes VF4EVO fine, but on my cab, it will freeze at a certain point, I understand that this is caused by voltage (or lack of it).

I guess I can match the voltage of my boardmaster and everything should be dandy :)

(Off to buy a multimeter at lunch), :buttrock:

Jontra

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hello mate,

The Sega Naomi systems work on +3.3 volt. A normal cab gives +5 V. Therefor you need for example a capcom I/O board. If this functions 100% then there must be no problem.

cheerio

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Jontra said:
Hello mate,

The Sega Naomi systems work on +3.3 volt. A normal cab gives +5 V. Therefor you need for example a capcom I/O board. If this functions 100% then there must be no problem.

cheerio

but the game keeps freezing, even with a capcom I/O, so I need to Increase the voltage to the Capcom I/O.... But where exactly do i need to read it from?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
beh3moth said:
but the game keeps freezing, even with a capcom I/O, so I need to Increase the voltage to the Capcom I/O.... But where exactly do i need to read it from?

You need to crank it up a lot. I run a Naomi2+GD-rom with a Capcom I/O and it doesn't make much of a difference with GD-rom or not. It will run, but turn the knob a little each time until all problems are resolved. You REALY need to crank up the 5v too much to get any positive results. Just remeber to turn it down before you use another mobo.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I run my N2 at 5.4v, psu screw turned up all the way:

01339.jpg

I'm a little surprised that Mark did not set it up for you?

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
He did, but VF4 evo freezes on the second attract sequence at the very same place.... Did a rom/ram check everything is fine.. It wont freeze in-game or anywhere else, just this certain attract mode scene, it sometimes passes the scene without problem.

The cab's PSU is like a PC psu, there is an adjuster on it (tricky to get to).
I want to measure the voltage when I do that tho, so where should I stick my prongs? (ooer)

It works great on my boardmaster, just the cabs psu seems not to.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
ResOGlas said:
You need to crank it up a lot. I run a Naomi2+GD-rom with a Capcom I/O and it doesn't make much of a difference with GD-rom or not. It will run, but turn the knob a little each time until all problems are resolved. You REALY need to crank up the 5v too much to get any positive results. Just remeber to turn it down before you use another mobo.

Arrgh, that means I will have to get the back off the cab each time I change Mobos?...... what a pain¬!

EDIT: But wait, if it works fine with the boardmaster, (without changing the voltage) all i need to do is match that?

Last edited:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Oh I thought the psu would be original.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I've got two of these in two different cabs, and haven't had to mess with voltage at all. Perhaps it's something else?

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
All fixed and working!! Phew..

Mr-Megalo walked me through what I need to do by phone! Thanks again matey!

Turns out I only needed the Naomi2 to be running with 5.27v.

And my boardmaster was a whopping 5.8v!!!! so I have turned the voltage down on that one...

Cool, thanks guys for the input! :buttrock:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
beh3moth said:
All fixed and working!! Phew..

Mr-Megalo walked me through what I need to do by phone! Thanks again matey!

Turns out I only needed the Naomi2 to be running with 5.27v.

And my boardmaster was a whopping 5.8v!!!! so I have turned the voltage down on that one...

Cool, thanks guys for the input! :buttrock:

Ok, since I'm new to this as well, can you tell me what a boardmaster is? I just got my setup in the mail and kept cranking up the 5v until everything ran smoothly. Should I have done something different?