Street fighter 3 New generation security cartridge went kaput

obot64

New Challenger
A friend of mine was messing with Street fighter 3 New generation yesterday, and all of a sudden his security cartridge went kaput? Is there any way to fix this? Anyway at all?

He says he gets a fuzzy screen.. and all that.

It really sucks because I was going to buy the whole working cabinet from him.

obot64

New Challenger
wow they are that fragile? Would a new battery have saved this puppy?

and is it possible for me to get a Street Fighter 3 Third strike card and (a burned disk from a friend) and run it in that cabinet with no problem?

if so who could i buy from with out havign to get the full cps3 system -_-

Last edited:

SteveTren

Seriously: Screw this guy.
obot64 said:
wow they are that fragile? Would a new battery have saved this puppy?

and is it possible for me to get a Street Fighter 3 Third strike card and (a burned disk from a friend) and run it in that cabinet with no problem?

if so who could i buy from with out havign to get the full cps3 system -_-
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is not much you can do.. Even if you get a Third Strike Cart (which would be very difficult to find and expensive) and the CD it still won't work without the right ram chips on the board. Better off buying a whole new kit. Cps-3 is pain.. I know I own one. Sorry man:(
Steve

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Has anyone dared to dump the data on the cart that's so vital before the thing dies?

What I'm wondering, in short, is why can't I just dump a CPS3 sec cart's content and redump it when the cart goes kaput?

SteveTren

Seriously: Screw this guy.
taitai said:
Has anyone dared to dump the data on the cart that's so vital before the thing dies?

What I'm wondering, in short, is why can't I just dump a CPS3 sec cart's content and redump it when the cart goes kaput?
Its been tried.. Any attemps to dump the carts encrpytion kills it.. Capcom has you by the balls.:rolleyes:

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
IIRC, if you attempt to dump it, kaput it goes (as the chip is getting two voltages at the same time -- one from the battery, and one from the reader)

obot64

New Challenger
so who's workign on solving this issue? cps2 shock?

I feal like i should be donating to them :help:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Lime2K said:
IIRC, if you attempt to dump it, kaput it goes (as the chip is getting two voltages at the same time -- one from the battery, and one from the reader)

THen this asks the question.

How the hell does the mobo get the data off the cart?!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Capcom didn't want this stuff emulated or bootlegged. They did a DAMN good job. Problem is, it was too good of a job. I have two mother boards that I gave to one of the members here. The number of motherboards to security carts gets bigger every day. Thank god they only made six games on here. Can you imagine if they made more games that people wanted on this thing? Sure, the games on it are nice, but this is a third strike hardware. Thank god they didn't make SF4 or MvsC2 on here. Everyone here should know now the woes that I am going through to get a third strike set up in my house working. They're just a real fragile piece of equipment.

The cart is dead because of the battery, and as of now, nobody can fix it. I'm sorry to say that the day this IS emulated will mean the day that we can bring all these dead carts back to life. I can't wait for that day, to be honest. It's taking far too long.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My God, I never knew that the CPS3 hardware was this fragile...

Does Capcom offer (or have offered in the past) repair or replacement services at all?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
ki_atsushi said:
My God, I never knew that the CPS3 hardware was this fragile...

Does Capcom offer (or have offered in the past) repair or replacement services at all?

They once did once upon a time ago before capcom coin-op went out of business, but only to operator.

As of now capcom no longer services ANY of their arcade games, so basically they told the people who bought their cps 2/cps3 games to go fuck themselves once the hardware stops operating due to battery failure ( no seriously thats what the memo said ).

ni-ten

War Room Troll
You can return dead jap cardriges to capcom japan through an
jap arcade owner.
Other than that no chance.

There were some chinese guys trying to decrypt this,dunno if they gave up.
The no-cd version of 3s seems not as fragile as the one with cd-rom.
Also never touch the connectors on the downside of the pcb under the cardrige slot.
This kills your cardrige instantly.

Power spikes can kill it as well.

Last edited:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Hence why so many cps3 kits have fallen in price this year.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
RGP said:
Hence why so many cps3 kits have fallen in price this year.

Fallen? Holy crap, they're sky rocketting! I would say that many are going to try to get rid of kits right about now because A) It's super popular all of the sudden, but mostly B) Some kits haven't had batteries changed, and it's a matter of time before they're dead. Thankfully, I bought a second kit that should be here any time now (literally, the mail should have it here today) that will work. Only spent $800 to get a working one (400 the first time, and 400 for this new one with a fresh batt replacement).

I'm HOPING by the time I need a new battery, they'll be fixed. God I'm hoping.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
Fallen? Holy crap, they're sky rocketting!
Prices for a working 3s board have almost doubled in the last 2 years.
People never liked 3s much when it was released(including myself),
but after a while they realized what a great and deep game it actually is.
Also to be considered are the weak homeports with their fake low res graphics
disappointed some folks.

complexs6

Camel Slug
Damn and I plan to get a CPS3 kit after I get my Noami, but after reading all of this I might wait longer, to bad capcom didnt stick with the cps2 systems or let you phoenix the cps3 games, I know if raz knew how he would have done it by now. Damn capcom for the suicide batteries, its so fu@#ed up. I bought dungeons and dragons 1 on ebay the other day and I wouldnt have bought it if it wasnt phoenix. Everyone just needs to realize you need to keep replacing those old batteries or your game will die!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
got my SECOND third strike kit today in the mail. it works GREAT. I am so very happy that I now have a perfectly working, awesome set up~ :lolz:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I say we try to locate some of Capcom's USA Coinop division employees and see whats up with CPS3. Maybe they can point us in the right direction.

steve11

Morden's Lackey
Add me to the dead CPS3 list.

My JoJo's died rather recently so I finally decided to get the battery swapped on my CPS3 plugged it into get some games... it was running fine, turned it off went out for a bit came back and dead.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
The CPS-3 is one board that will never tempt me.

It seems that (for a home user) the cons far outweigh the pros.

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
CPS-3 does have some sweet games but due to the current, unphoenixed situation we are dealing with here, it's a good idea to stay away I guess. It really is sad though..