Best Buy Info.

I have been an employee at Best Buy on Long Island, NY (South Setauket to be exact) for nearly 4 years. I am leaving there for an office job next week. I just want to state a few things to help you all out since I see things like people asking BB's for Neowave or Sam Sho V. (I said the 4 year part just so you all understand that no SNKP game for Xbox has come in in that time frame)

Best Buy for whatever reason does NOT carry SNKPlaymore games for Xbox. The last SNKP game we got in was Maximum Impact (for ps2 only!)

We did get in Metal Slug advance. But only 5 copies.

I just wanted to help you all out so you don't have to waste your time driving out to Best Buys to just confuse an employee there with a "lame 2-D game".

I stick to pre-ordering from gamestop, they get them in especially when you pre-order.

Hope this helps.

-a.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
hey there. Whats your (real) name.
I probably worked with you there as I was there in home theater maybe 4 years back. God i hated that fucking store. You were there to see Jim Norton (the store manager) shit canned right?

Anyway, Thanks for the update on Neowave.
One thing though: I could have sworn that I saw Metal Slug 3 for Xbox there a while ago.

sliceypete

Astra Superstar
15 Year Member
i work at a bestbuy here in MA and i've never seen a snkplaymore game in my store lol the only snkplaymore game we have is Maximum Impact for the ps2 ITS still in the store lol.

Thank you prosper1ne. Yes we did have SvC chaos...only 3. That was actually my 1st XBOX game I got. Orpheus also reminded me that we may have had M Slug 3 in. I cannot remember this perfectly. But I could swear seeing it there...but my mind could me making this up heh. Anywho after SvC we never got anymore SNKP for Xbox and Max Impact was the last one we got for PS2. Hope that clears up everything for you guys.

-a.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
SpaceMarine17 said:
I have been an employee at Best Buy on Long Island, NY (South Setauket to be exact) for nearly 4 years. I am leaving there for an office job next week. I just want to state a few things to help you all out since I see things like people asking BB's for Neowave or Sam Sho V. (I said the 4 year part just so you all understand that no SNKP game for Xbox has come in in that time frame)

Best Buy for whatever reason does NOT carry SNKPlaymore games for Xbox. The last SNKP game we got in was Maximum Impact (for ps2 only!)

We did get in Metal Slug advance. But only 5 copies.

I just wanted to help you all out so you don't have to waste your time driving out to Best Buys to just confuse an employee there with a "lame 2-D game".

I stick to pre-ordering from gamestop, they get them in especially when you pre-order.

Hope this helps.

-a.

I don't know what happened to best buy in the last 4 years. I remember during the DC days, they got all the weird cool obscure games, but now they are taking less risks.

Pre-ordering from EB and GS online is the best if you want something day 1. Sometimes if you pre-order with 1 day shipping, you get it faster than the store!

I'm sticking to buying stuff used or renting from Gamefly. Gamefly is an especially good deal if you've been with them for awhile. $5 coupons + 5-10% off + free shipping = really cheap. And newer games usually crop up used there quicker than other places.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I bought Metal Slug 4/5, KOF:MI and saw Metal Slug 3 at my store. Never got any of the 2D KOFs though for PS2 or X-Box. :\

Not that it really matters. My employee discount usually only takes of enough $ to cover tax. :p

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
The last time I was at best buy to look at video games (which was a long time ago) I saw almost 10 copies of Metal Slug Advance. It sucks that they don't get the xbox games in though. That store sucks.

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
what are my chances at working at abest buy this summer? my qualifications, will be a+ certified, halfway there passed hardware. will be network+ certified hopefully?? will be 16 in late july, can drive?

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
goingmerry said:
what are my chances at working at abest buy this summer? my qualifications, will be a+ certified, halfway there passed hardware. will be network+ certified hopefully?? will be 16 in late july, can drive?

From working there, Best Buy could care less if you've got any certifications. All they want is any random joe blow who will try to add on crap upon crap to the customer. Here's an example:

You: "I see you're buying Kingdom Hearts 2"
Customer: "Yea, I really liked the first game"
You: "Cool, so you need a memory card to save those games right?"
Customer: "Uhh no, I've already got one"
You: "Well you can never have too much space, you should buy a two pack for $39.99"
Customer: "No, I'm good man"
You: "Alright, well you better buy a multi-tap"
Customer: "What, this game is only one player"
You: "Well you'll need it later on when you buy Madden 20XX"
Customer: "I don't even like Madden"
You: "Alright, well then you might want to buy a wireless controller to have freedom"
Customer: "Nah I've got one already"
You: "Well do you have the Logitech (insert crazy ubber tech number/name) wireless controller?"
Customer: "Dude, I've got one and don't need a Logitech one"
You: "O.K., so since you like Kingdom Hearts 2 you probably want to buy some Disney DVDs right?"
Customer: "Seriously man, I just want the damn game. I don't even know you and I don't need any freakin' movies!"
You: "Well we have a great selection of soundtracks that would go well with your game"
Customer: "Are you even listening to me?"
You: "Plus add to that you'll need Netflix and Rhapsody because you like movies and music."
Customer: "Please go away"
You: "PLEASE BUY ALL THIS CRAP I'M ADDING ON!!!"
Customer: "Go to hell"

There you have it. As long as you can add crap upon crap and sell them everything under the sun, you're good to go.

BTW: No matter if it's a blind old man who can't hear, your boss won't accept any excuses for why you didn't sell an extra movie/CD/Netflix/etc.

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Jedah Doma said:
From working there, Best Buy could care less if you've got any certifications. All they want is any random joe blow who will try to add on crap upon crap to the customer. Here's an example:

There you have it. As long as you can add crap upon crap and sell them everything under the sun, you're good to go.

BTW: No matter if it's a blind old man who can't hear, your boss won't accept any excuses for why you didn't sell an extra movie/CD/Netflix/etc.
lol. ok i'm not working there. maybe best buy geek squad? thanks alto for the tip. i never shop at best buy so i did't know that.

sliceypete

Astra Superstar
15 Year Member
there no way a 16 year going to be geek squad sorry to say. the only 16 year olds they get are cashiers and thats it.unless you have the hook up lol

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
damn. what if i get a better cert in addition to a+ and network+ and try when 17? i was thinking a cisco cert or maybe a red hat one. not that taht would help me on geek squad, the redhat i mean.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
goingmerry said:
damn. what if i get a better cert in addition to a+ and network+ and try when 17? i was thinking a cisco cert or maybe a red hat one. not that taht would help me on geek squad, the redhat i mean.

Trust me man, you'd make more money freelancing your skills and fixing computers and software then working for geek squad. Save your time and make a whole lot more money by just doing it yourself and keeping all the profits instead of just getting a cut of it.

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Jedah Doma said:
Trust me man, you'd make more money freelancing your skills and fixing computers and software then working for geek squad. Save your time and make a whole lot more money by just doing it yourself and keeping all the profits instead of just getting a cut of it.
well i know stuff on paper, like getting the hardware portion of a+ cert but i suck in real life. i'm not confident enough, and i'm new to computers. i kind of wanted to work under someone so i could learn on the job stuff. i'm pretty sure theres some computer repair shops nere me i could try those. in all honesty i'm discouraged right now. i just feel like its to late for me to learn. all those geeky kids younger than me know more than i'll ever know. it used to be fun to learn about coding and computers but its' losing its glamor. nothing i do is fun anymore.

sliceypete

Astra Superstar
15 Year Member
still going to be hard to get in even if ur 17, they dont like geting minors for departments(ex. computer,geek squad) cause they can only work till 9:30 (so they cant close) but you never know, if you wow them at the interview u can get the job. thats what i did lol

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
sliceypete said:
still going to be hard to get in even if ur 17, they dont like geting minors for departments(ex. computer,geek squad) cause they can only work till 9:30 (so they cant close) but you never know, if you wow them at the interview u can get the job. thats what i did lol
ok thanks for your help. might as well go for an interview, nothing to loose. where you geek squad?

sliceypete

Astra Superstar
15 Year Member
no im in the computer department(hopefully in the geek squad in the coming months)

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
gl with that. i would fucking hate to be in anything at best buy other than geek squad. so yoru only 17 or 18? what kind of stuff do they ask in the interview? do they just grill yo uwith tough technical questions?

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I worked at Best Buy during christmas and they above "customer dialog" is almost word for word what they want you to do. I worked in the computer department and the geek squad would get pissed if I sold a laptop without a service plan, but I got to the point that I didn't give a shit because I knew I wouldn't be there that long. Most people just wanted to get in, get their stuff, and get out... not have a "best friend" sales associate.

sliceypete

Astra Superstar
15 Year Member
goingmerry said:
gl with that. i would fucking hate to be in anything at best buy other than geek squad. so yoru only 17 or 18? what kind of stuff do they ask in the interview? do they just grill yo uwith tough technical questions?

Why geek squad is so boring plus people alway make fun of it lol(shit even my department does cause there som wierd as dude that work in geek squad) only reason i want to be in there cause they pay you more thats all. im 17 right now hmmm they ask normal question shit about ur life. there were no technical question lawl. just dont say anything stupid and your in. hope i helped

sliceypete

Astra Superstar
15 Year Member
Black IcE said:
I worked at Best Buy during christmas and they above "customer dialog" is almost word for word what they want you to do. I worked in the computer department and the geek squad would get pissed if I sold a laptop without a service plan, but I got to the point that I didn't give a shit because I knew I wouldn't be there that long. Most people just wanted to get in, get their stuff, and get out... not have a "best friend" sales associate.

you must of sucked lol i started as temp 2 but i knew how to sell those service plans, even if i didnt get it ill just add reward zone and some other stuff lol. i mean i try to sell other things but i dont force anyone 2 if they dont get it i dont care lol(after you stay on you stop caring about attaching stuff lol). some people want "best friend" sales associate lol. overall bestbuy is a great job if ur a people person, so no nerds lol.

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
sliceypete said:
Why geek squad is so boring plus people alway make fun of it lol(shit even my department does cause there som wierd as dude that work in geek squad) only reason i want to be in there cause they pay you more thats all. im 17 right now hmmm they ask normal question shit about ur life. there were no technical question lawl. just dont say anything stupid and your in. hope i helped
thaks alot for all the help and insight from an employee. i appreciate it.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
sliceypete said:
you must of sucked

:make_fac: Gee thanks :make_fac:

sliceypete said:
lol i started as temp 2 but i knew how to sell those service plans, even if i didnt get it ill just add reward zone and some other stuff lol. i mean i try to sell other things but i dont force anyone 2 if they dont get it i dont care lol(after you stay on you stop caring about attaching stuff lol). some people want "best friend" sales associate lol. overall bestbuy is a great job if ur a people person, so no nerds lol.

Unfortunately I can't deny the fact that my main job is a bit more on the nerd side of things. I am a copier tech. :loco:

I kinda enjoyed working there, but I have never been a fan of alot of the tactics used in the big box sales environment. I really don't like going to most game stores in particular because it seems kinda rare to find people that know alot about the games they are trying to sell. except for what is on the product information sheets. I would much rather go to a game store where the associates actually know what a neo-geo is and don't just pass it off as some "old school" thing. But I know there are very few stores like that so I guess I'm just S.O.L. !