CLEAR Skeleton Neo Geo CD system?? Dev system?

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
Does anyone know anything about a clear Neo Geo CD system? Maybe a development system, or maybe just a replacement case for a normal Neo CD?

I'm thinking about buying this, but I don't want to end up paying $100+ for something that isn't special...

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m30124995

zabel_13-img600x450-114447707610_neogeo_03.jpg

This is the picture that gets me thinking...see the label on the back? :conf:
zabel_13-img600x450-114447706910_neogeo_02.jpg

zabel_13-img600x450-114447706110_neogeo_00.jpg

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
damn...I gotta say that clear casing is hot enough to be Special in my book
:drool_2:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
As long as you enjoy it, should not matter the price.

GAMEFAN

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
AFAIK, SNK never officially made replacement shells for NGCD units. The fact this case here has no SNK Neo Geo CD logo on the lid may point to a (probably unlicensed) 3rd-party molding job.

It would be interesting to know if this machine has some extra bios/menu options, at least this would be more convincing to me than a transparent case and a paper version of the standard serial no. plate that normally is a metal foil sticker.

It also does not have any additional interfaces, which is strange because most in-house units I know have extra ports/interfaces for data transfer from/to a developer workstation (PC or similar) for testing code on-the-fly.

Ah well... if this really is a dev system, $100 isn't too far-fetched, but it's impossible to tell from the pics alone.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
My advise is BUY THIS enix....especially if it comes with that sealed BTG....you are rock n'rolling!..:buttrock:
Btw...i never saw a skeleton neo-cd unit in the past...not even a 3rd party coloured case for them....at $100 its cheap as chips.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Takumaji said:
AFAIK, SNK never officially made replacement shells for NGCD units. The fact this case here has no SNK Neo Geo CD logo on the lid may point to a (probably unlicensed) 3rd-party molding job.

It would be interesting to know if this machine has some extra bios/menu options, at least this would be more convincing to me than a transparent case and a paper version of the standard serial no. plate that normally is a metal foil sticker.

It also does not have any additional interfaces, which is strange because most in-house units I know have extra ports/interfaces for data transfer from/to a developer workstation (PC or similar) for testing code on-the-fly.

Ah well... if this really is a dev system, $100 isn't too far-fetched, but it's impossible to tell from the pics alone.

Do you think it could be a dev system? It doesn't look like one... but I wonder if it could be?

@ neo gold... me either. I've been pretty big into the Neo CD, and never have I seen OR come across anything like this.

I wonder if it's a Chinese rip off or something like that?

†B†V†

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
You also get a Factory Sealed NTM, which is hard to find indeed, at least overseas...

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
I would bid but I cant understand anything on there, do they have an english translation of the page like how ebay does?

International sellers are not welcome.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
OK, just looked through the auction description:

1) holy cow, that's a great deal: two (!) systems, both the black and the skeleton one, two controllers, one set of AV cables and an adapter, and a brand new copy of Big Tournament Golf. Both units work, but he's got a disclaimer in the description which says that "these systems are old, so if you've got any reservations please don't bid, because I don't do returns"

2) the owner says he doesn't know where the skeleton one came from, he's never seen one before, but he's guessing that it might be some kind of display unit for a game show. It doesn't say "development system" anywhere in the item description so everyone just cool your jets on that one

3) Akiba (and I'm guessing Den Den Town too) is rife with unlicenced third party products (usually Chinese) like skeleton shells, strange controllers, and other wierd assorted knicknacks. Finding third party NGCD products would be next to impossible now, but I'm betting they would have been pretty common back in the day. My guess is that this is just a regular NGCD in a Chinese shell, and that there's a poor original SNK system-less black shell lying in a garbage dump somewhere. It could very well be an official SNK product though, which would definitely make it rare

4) The seller doesn't ship to overseas : (

5) I'd bid, but my apartment is awash in systems already and the wife is getting angry

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Thats got to be one of the coolest systems that I've ever seen! Well actually the coolest system I've ever seen would have to have been a Hitachi Navi Saturn that a friend of mine had for a brief period of time. It probably isn't an official SNK shell, but so what, a skeleton system like that would provide hours of entertainment just watching the CD spin! If both systems are included in the auction, than $100 dollars would really be a pretty good deal.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Man I am really digging that clear case, I would illuminate that thing with blue and mod it like I did my other one with an internal fan and stuff.

Also I know its not a dev system since the inside are exactly the same as the production ones.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
If the seller wont ship international maybe a friendly board member would if all shipping costs & payment were guaranteed and maybe a little extra for their troubles ?

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Someone in Japan has confirmed me that she can bid for me, I told her to go ahead, hopefully she will receive my reply on time (3 hours left).

Let’s see how this turns out.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I could bid on it and win (I have an account in Japan), but I'm not into collecting
no more.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
SNKJorge said:
I could bid on it and win (I have an account in Japan), but I'm not into collecting
no more.

aaaaaaaahhh..."I could, I could"... you could have said that earlier.... lol

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Perhaps a debug system, given to the press? My guess.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Looks like Vincewy got it (another board member here - from Hong Kong?)

Ouch, over Y30,000 (roughly $300 US). It was only at Y10,000 when I last checked in last night, two hours before the auction ended. There must have been some sniping going on.

Y30,000 still seems like a great deal for the sealed BTG and the mystery skeleton case. Hopefully Vincewy can fill us in on the details about the shell.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Stellaking said:
Did you win it Pep ?

Nope :( , didn't expect it to go that high...when I noted it was 30.000 it was too late to react and beat that bid.

...it won't suprise me that we see this system again...maybe eBay

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Vincewy actually lives in the US.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Sorry to hear Pep... I hope we can get some more info posted if a member picked it up. I would be interested to find out its history, could it be a promo display system then ? without the SNK logo not sure.

Its a mystery :buttrock:

Last edited: