How do you access the test menu for the Atomiswave?

WhyBee

n00b
I bought a supergun from D-Lite, I need to return the controller to him because the start button doesn't work, so i'm stuck at the press start screen and i can't press start :oh_no:, what a tease eh? So I wanna test the other parts of the controller to ensure it's working, but i can't figure out how to access the test menu for KOF XI to change the game from arcade mode or free play and such. Can anyone help me? I've tried pushing the buttons on the back of the supergun and nothing happened except for the fact that I can't hear the sound effect of a coin being entered with I press the coin inserting button on the front =\

This is the model I bought from D-Lite

SlingshotFront.jpg

SlingshotBack.jpg

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
You flip one of the dips on the atomiswave mobo to access the menu. Can't remember which one though.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Open that joystick and find the red wire from the cable in. Not the red with a black stripe though. That is the coin line. You should also see a white wire, that is start. Are they both connected to the same line going to the start button in the joystick?

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Also I thought you could access the test screen fine when the I/O board wasn't connected, right? You can test the joystick in that mode.

And if the coin/start are working together, you should still be able to press start. Coin won't matter then. I'm not convinced the problem is that the coin and start are connected, though they do appear to be.

The question I was interested in asking is what is the affect of having the I/O board installed. Justin, could you describe in detail having that plugged in and not plugged in has? You told me that with the I/O board installed, the system boots but you can't press start. Without it, it boots to the test menu.

WhyBee

n00b
Actually, my name is Terence, Justin is my brother and we just share the paypal account :)

I think the issue might be the test service button now because I managed to get the game to work! But in a weird way :rolleyes:. Remember how the game would only boot with the I/O expansion plugged in? If I take off the I/O expansion when the game is loaded, I can just press the start button and I can play the game normally. But I have to do this everytime I boot up the system, which is a minor annoyance. If i start up the game without the I/O expansion plugged in, it will just boot to the test menu as it did before. So about the start button acting as a coin and start is most likely not at fault. So i think the issue has something to do with the test service button.

Are you always on AIM when you are online? I never use AIM myself, but I checked periodically today to see if you were on and didn't see you online.

The question I was interested in asking is what is the affect of having the I/O board installed. Justin, could you describe in detail having that plugged in and not plugged in has? You told me that with the I/O board installed, the system boots but you can't press start. Without it, it boots to the test menu.

As for this. I'm thinking if the I/O board is plugged it, it probably requires the gun or whatever special equipment it needs to actually press the start button because it seems that a normal joystick doesn't function properly except for the fact that you can use the "coin" feature. I bet if I had a AW gun and have it plugged into the AW, i would be able to get into the game using the gun. Do you understand what i'm trying to get at? I hope so :p

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I have seen Bran new ATW motherboards with "stuck" Test/Service buttons... The buttons were permenently grounded...

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
norton9478 said:
I have seen Bran new ATW motherboards with "stuck" Test/Service buttons... The buttons were permenently grounded...
You mean on the AW itself, correct? I had Terrence check the I/O test menu and he said everything registered as "OFF" while in steady state. So it doesn't seem to be that. Seems the I/O board is somehow affecting the system. He got it off of eBay from a seller I didn't recognize so we don't know the history.

I never use AIM, just if someone needs to discuss something like we did. I don't really like having a chat program on because I don't sit for long stretches of time to answer regularly.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I'm sure it will be in any of the AW service books, all AW service tech info is generic for dips switchs ect, I'll try to find 1 online.

Last edited:

WhyBee

n00b
I have zero knowledge in soldering or desoldering so I wouldn't even know where to begin in cutting any diodes off or even know what a diode looks like :conf:. So any suggestions on how i could possibly fix my problem?

I also took a look at the atomiswave forum regarding the burnt diode and to me, i don't see anything that looks "burnt" at all. Would someone care to elaborate how that certain diode looks burnt? It looks the same as the other ones to me.

s202208014tx.jpg

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
You mean on the AW itself, correct? I had Terrence check the I/O test menu and he said everything registered as "OFF" while in steady state. So it doesn't seem to be that. Seems the I/O board is somehow affecting the system. He got it off of eBay from a seller I didn't recognize so we don't know the history.

I never use AIM, just if someone needs to discuss something like we did. I don't really like having a chat program on because I don't sit for long stretches of time to answer regularly.

On the one I had, the Service Button was permenantly in the ON possition. It was grounded.

It made going through the test menu a real pain.