Supergun building questions

TimeKillr

New Challenger
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the exact place to ask about this (if it's not then I'll gladly delete /move the post somewhere else), but I'm in the process of building a supergun and I'm wondering a few things.

1- So far, I've got my Jamma harness ordered from Bob Roberts and a Neobitz encoder from JMKurtz. I also already have all the necessary hardware for building my sticks (I'll be using competition sticks + competition buttons). I'll be getting myself an old PC power supply for power to the jamma board so I'll be sure to have the +5, -5 and +12 lines. Is there anything else I'm missing (aside from obvious building materials and connectors)?

2- I had a crazy idea this morning (hey, I'm a game designer, that's what I do). I was thinking since remapping controls is somewhat of a bitch in arcade games (AFAIK nothing really lets you remap stuff, except maybe the AW platform) and that I might want a standard 4-button layout for MVS stuff but a square layout for games like Tekken I might have to look for an alternate solution. I've thought of switches, but then I realized there might be too many different layouts and having a 5-way switch might not be really optimal :)

My idea was basically to have a small controller for the input devices that acts as a filter and sends out button presses to the board depending on what mode it is in. To display the whole thing, I was thinking maybe a 2-3 lines LCD screen to display what mode it's in and act as on-screen instructions for control remapping. This way, I'd be able to remap buttons on-the-fly, switch on-the-fly as well and just generally have really good button compatibility with the gun/boards.

Basically, the way I see it, is a small reprogrammable chip capable of holding the button mapping information that also has input and output ports; I'd wire the input port to the controller and the controller then to the JAMMA inputs.

I've never really seen done, and I don't have a lot of technical knowledge of how to do this although I have programming experience so I should be able to figure out how to program the whole thing.

Can anybody help/tell me if I'm a raving lunatic?

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
That sounds like a pretty cool idea for the button layouts. An easier way (the route that I took) is to make maybe different adapters for your sticks. I have 2 rows of 4 buttons and it perfectly supports NeoGeo, CPS2+3, Standard Jamma, Dreamcast and PSX. I have male/female molex adapters comming out of the sticks so I can switch the setup easily.

As for the lcd with a chip controlled setup, it sounds very cool and if you have the means to do it, I say go for it. Be sure to post how you progress with that.

-B

TimeKillr

New Challenger
billd420 said:
That sounds like a pretty cool idea for the button layouts. An easier way (the route that I took) is to make maybe different adapters for your sticks. I have 2 rows of 4 buttons and it perfectly supports NeoGeo, CPS2+3, Standard Jamma, Dreamcast and PSX. I have male/female molex adapters comming out of the sticks so I can switch the setup easily.

As for the lcd with a chip controlled setup, it sounds very cool and if you have the means to do it, I say go for it. Be sure to post how you progress with that.

-B

When you mean that you have different molex connectors, you mean you have like 5 different outputs on your sticks, and you just switch depending on what button layout you want? It connects to the same place on your gun, but your stick actually outputs differently? That's a nice idea..

I don't know how much the chip controlled setup would cost, but I'll ask around at work if anybody can help me design such a device. It's pretty sweet to be working at a game developer where a lot of the lead programmers are software engineers with backgrounds in electronics :)

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Yes that is correct. There are currently 5 plugs comming out of my twin arcade sticks (see my virtual tour thread in the 24bit section for some pics). 2 molex plugs for NeoGeo 4 button/ Jamma, 1 molex plug for the capcom kick harness and 2 dreamcast plugs for the DC. I made the sticks so they supports PSX, just haven't wired it up yet. I can take some pics of the wiring job if you're interested to get some ideask.

By the way, sounds like you have a pimp job. I'm a programmer myself, but not a video game programmer. I make webpages. What company/ studio do you work for?

TimeKillr

New Challenger
billd420 said:
Yes that is correct. There are currently 5 plugs comming out of my twin arcade sticks (see my virtual tour thread in the 24bit section for some pics). 2 molex plugs for NeoGeo 4 button/ Jamma, 1 molex plug for the capcom kick harness and 2 dreamcast plugs for the DC. I made the sticks so they supports PSX, just haven't wired it up yet. I can take some pics of the wiring job if you're interested to get some ideask.

By the way, sounds like you have a pimp job. I'm a programmer myself, but not a video game programmer. I make webpages. What company/ studio do you work for?

I work for EA Mobile; we used to be Jamdat, but the giant swallowed us!

And thanks for the input. If I end up doing the project I'll fully document it.

Matarick

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Small off topic suggestion: PLEASE work on Mobile M.U.L.E. ! You shall thank me later since Electronic Arts basically has all the rights to this game.

Well good luck on your supergun and hope you play all of the cool games soon.

TimeKillr

New Challenger
Matarick said:
Small off topic suggestion: PLEASE work on Mobile M.U.L.E. ! You shall thank me later since Electronic Arts basically has all the rights to this game.

Well good luck on your supergun and hope you play all of the cool games soon.

If you can somehow convice someone somewhere that M.U.L.E. is a good casual game, then sure, I'd work on it.

As it stands though, it has very little chance of getting made. :(