Resetting KOF '97 MVS

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
Just got around to cleaning the second half of a big Yaton order. Disassemble, warm water for the major dirt, cotton buds and electric toothbrush (soft old head) to clean off the cigarette goo on the boards.

Most of them work fine. Metal Slug X, once, (no time yet to play it more, but I will!) froze on a white screen at the first miniboss, and when I reset the console I could see the correct graphics for a second. Should I worry?

KOF'97 is a different story, it resets 99% of the time right after you press start. The bottom third of the portraits in the high scores also flash. Once it worked, long enough to select a character with some odd graphics above the large portraits, then froze.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
pellucidity said:
Just got around to cleaning the second half of a big Yaton order. Disassemble, warm water for the major dirt, cotton buds and electric toothbrush (soft old head) to clean off the cigarette goo on the boards.

Most of them work fine. Metal Slug X, once, (no time yet to play it more, but I will!) froze on a white screen at the first miniboss, and when I reset the console I could see the correct graphics for a second. Should I worry?

KOF'97 is a different story, it resets 99% of the time right after you press start. The bottom third of the portraits in the high scores also flash. Once it worked, long enough to select a character with some odd graphics above the large portraits, then froze.

With the cleaning are you cleaning the connectors..?
If they are still yellow then you may still all kinds of problems getting them to work..
If yellow..Use/(Dry) Scotch Brite on the connectors until you see the yellow disappear then clean off the dirt residue with alcohol..

What are you plugging these carts into...?MVS Mother board or..?

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
chris1 said:
With the cleaning are you cleaning the connectors..?
If they are still yellow then you may still all kinds of problems getting them to work..
If yellow..Use/(Dry) Scotch Brite on the connectors until you see the yellow disappear then clean off the dirt residue with alcohol..

What are you plugging these carts into...?MVS Mother board or..?

Yeah, the contacts are the cleanest part of the boards right now. There's still some Yaton goo on the boards, but the contacts are pretty clean. And the boards are mostly clean, some goo still visible, and a little tacky to the touch. I used alcohol and the warm water, and then an eraser when the usual treatment didn't work.

I'm using a Phantom-1, it works with all my other games with minimal fuss (I have 17 MVS carts, no newer than MS3).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Get a toothbrush and submerge those cart PCB's in water and then dry with a cloth and a hair dryer.
It does magical things, like getting rid of graphical glitches even when the contacts are clean as can be.

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
Tried giving them a bath and going over every square mm of the boards with an electric toothbrush - no change. I haven't got a decent eraser to use, but can anyone hazard a guess whether it's chip or contact problems? It's definitely just this game.

Also, is there any detergent I can safely use on the PCBs? Warm water or rubbing alcohol and careful drying are all I know.

UPDATE: was able to find and fix several dry joints. The joint was cracked in each case, but lacking a multimeter I can't confirm that there was no continuity. It didn't make a difference though.

Looking at the high scores screen, the lower third of the portraits flashes... does this suggest a problem with the C-ROMs?

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
What comes to mind is a compatibility issue with the Phantom-1...Some cart just refuse to work on them.....I'd try this cart in a MVS mobo..Any members near you to lend an MVS hand..

You need to find some other way to see if this cart works..If it worked in a MVS mobo,then it'll be a compatibility issue with the Phantom-1..

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
chris1 said:
What comes to mind is a compatibility issue with the Phantom-1...Some cart just refuse to work on them.....I'd try this cart in a MVS mobo..Any members near you to lend an MVS hand..

You need to find some other way to see if this cart works..If it worked in a MVS mobo,then it'll be a compatibility issue with the Phantom-1..

Shit - because my Phantom's played everything I threw at it so far (I have a low-serial AES, 30k), I figured anything non-Playmore'd work. But you're right.

Any DC members around? If not, I'll have to break into the 2-Slot dedicated cab down at the Pizza Hut ;)