Soldering

2dfeind

n00b
Im trying to solder two wires to the head phone jack inside the neo.I`ve never
soldered before.I have a 10 watt soldering iron and a 60/40 with rosin flux core solder.Can someone please explain to me as specificly as possible the best way to solder the wires or in other words attach the wires to the head phone jacks?

Im trying to in install the svideo mod to the neo?

2dfeind

n00b
Apologies

My apologies.I did it out desperation to get info fast.
Thanks for the reply.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
lol. dude, my advice to you would be to let someone with experience help you solder it, because it sounds like with your lack of knowledge of electronics youve got a reaaaallllyyy good chance of totally fucking up your system.

PCB board = the green colored board (not hard to spot..... its what EVERYTHING is mounted on to.)

as for the soldering iron.... if the person knows what they are doing, they can use pretty much any soldering iron.. if the person does not know what they are doing, a soldering iron becomes a weapon of mass destruction. :kekeke:

and seriously... if you dont have any prior experience with soldering, why in the hell would you make your first attempt on a neo geo??? wouldnt it be alot wiser to attempt learning to solder on something that is already broken, or doesnt cost 200 or more dollars? if you dont really know what your doing, seek assistance before you destroy your system. :oh_no:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
If you want to do it yourself get a stripboard and a few inexpensive components (resistors, capacitors, etc.) and practice with that until you can solder decently. then try on your AES. The solder pads of the headphone jack are among the largest on the AES PCB though and a low-wattage iron like the one you have is not powerful enough. Instead of soldering the wires to those pads I suggest to solder them to the smaller ones shown in this pic:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4342/aeshpjack0ae.jpg

2dfeind

n00b
max 330 mega said:
lol. dude, my advice to you would be to let someone with experience help you solder it, because it sounds like with your lack of knowledge of electronics youve got a reaaaallllyyy good chance of totally fucking up your system.

PCB board = the green colored board (not hard to spot..... its what EVERYTHING is mounted on to.)

as for the soldering iron.... if the person knows what they are doing, they can use pretty much any soldering iron.. if the person does not know what they are doing, a soldering iron becomes a weapon of mass destruction. :kekeke:

and seriously... if you dont have any prior experience with soldering, why in the hell would you make your first attempt on a neo geo??? wouldnt it be alot wiser to attempt learning to solder on something that is already broken, or doesnt cost 200 or more dollars? if you dont really know what your doing, seek assistance before you destroy your system. :oh_no:

Actually i was thinking about seeking assistance.

Anyway,thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

2dfeind

n00b
MKL said:
If you want to do it yourself get a stripboard and a few inexpensive components (resistors, capacitors, etc.) and practice with that until you can solder decently. then try on your AES. The solder pads of the headphone jack are among the largest on the AES PCB though and a low-wattage iron like the one you have is not powerful enough. Instead of soldering the wires to those pads I suggest to solder them to the smaller ones shown in this pic:

Good idea,thanks.

Last edited:

2dfeind

n00b
MKL said:

how many watts do you suggest to solder to the large pads?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I would suggest anything between say 20 to 40 watts would be a good general purpose soldering iron for this type of work. Preferably one with interchangable tips for different applications. I swear by the Weller solder stations.

tmt_1889_43019758

2dfeind

n00b
ttooddddyy said:
I would suggest anything between say 20 to 40 watts would be a good general purpose soldering iron for this type of work. Preferably one with interchangable tips for different applications. I swear by the Weller solder stations.

tmt_1889_43019758

Thanks.