[PS2] King of Fighters 2006 is coming...

kanakura

Fio's Quartermaster
SNK Playmore USA announce King of Fighters 2006 für PlayStation 2.
This is the new (us) name for Maximum Impact 2 :mr_t:

kof2006.gif

Screenshots:
01.jpg
03.jpg

09.jpg
10.jpg

Last edited:

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
:oh_no: NO NO NO NO! And this is why i f'in hate when games get ported here. Just like the Dream Match 99? on DC. I mean they could have kept the Maximum Impact 2 title and it wouldnt have changed anything. And the casual unknowing US gamer will probably look at it and go "Its pretty and in 3D and its got a year behind the title so it must be good". Im personally just a little upset about this.

I like the logo though.

Please tell me this is a joke. PLEASE!

O.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
seconded and especially worried about the KOF franchise in general. this feels like the 3D KOF variant is taking over and they will quietly retire the 2D franchise after the next episode (hopefully there will be one as promised (storyline is bound by 3 parts)).

what a load of shit. I hated the first 3D kof. is utter fucking shite. what a disgrace. oh well, Neo Geo is dead as is old SNK. fuck it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
oh bollocks - double post :mad:
edit.
mmmmh.. it kind of smells like bullshit. that logo looks so badly put together - looks like the '98 logo somewhat.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Now that DR mentions it, the logo does look a little strange.

Besides I don't see why SNKP wouldn't go with the regular title when it's released over here.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
DevilRedeemed said:
oh bollocks - double post :mad:
edit.
mmmmh.. it kind of smells like bullshit. that logo looks so badly put together - looks like the '98 logo somewhat.

LOL. Correct the logo does look somewhat tacked together BUT we being Neo fans would notice that....the average unassuming current gen gamer wouldnt notice that. Shortcuts abundant.

I also agree that MI was utter crap. The look was GREAT but the gameplay just STUNK to all hell. But sadly I too feel as if they are gonna quietly "retire" the 2D KoF installments (at least in the US market) in favor of appealing to the casual gamer that prefers style over substance in their games.

O.

kanakura

Fio's Quartermaster
Domino-chan said:
Besides I don't see why SNKP wouldn't go with the regular title when it's released over here.

Because Maximum Impact was a selling flop in the states... ;)

planet-snk02.jpg

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
kanakura said:

And I dont think the title of the game had anything to do with that. You can rearrange the name of a game all you want but calling it "isht 20xx" doesnt change what we all know it was....SHIT. Just my opinion.

O.

nem

n00b
O. Yashiro said:
And the casual unknowing US gamer will probably look at it and go "Its pretty and in 3D and its got a year behind the title so it must be good"

I'd guess that would be the idea.

YO-YO-Boy

Benimaru's Hairdresser
blackguy-yo u got dat madden?:spock:

lamestop employee-no but we got that kof06!;)

blackguy-oh snap let me hit dat!

thats so what happened at the SNKUSA brainstorming meeting!:chimp:

H

hermegildo

Not that I really care, but B. Jenet and Kim are supposedly in MI2, plus some new chick.

There are supposed to be more secret characters that will be revealed gradually as well.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I hate the MI series in general, not immpressed at all with it. I hope its not true. I love KOF in 2D and hope it stays that way.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Horrible title or not, I'm looking forward to it ... as long as they don't do that horrible English dub job for the US release.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
MI was fun for about 3-4 hours.

Maybe I'll get 5-6 hours of enjoyment out of MI2.

:)

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
MI2, huh?

Sigh.

Someone wake me when NGBC and KOF XI come out.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, I was looking forward to the first MI although it wasn't that good of a game, it's good to see something new.

It's pretty gay that they decided to change the game name to KOF 06 though...

Spike23

Ninja Combat Warrior
we're ALL going to hate this game for one simple reason...............most of us grew up on 2-D gaming and while some 3-D games have the flash, substance, and eye candy, we still hold 2-D well over its head like a fucking pinata.

to us, KOF "3-D" has and always will suck...........no matter how fun it might possibly be. imho, if i want a good 3-D fighter, i'll stick to the original Soul Calibur or Tekken or some shit. for 2-D, give me my fucking old school KOF, motherfuckers.

(it's worth a hdd load) :p

H

hermegildo

Spike23 said:
no matter how fun it might possibly be. imho, if i want a good 3-D fighter, i'll stick to the original Soul Calibur or Tekken or some shit.
That's just the thing.

As a 3D fighting game, MI is average at best.

I don't think it has a lot to do with it being KOF or not (except for high expectations maybe).

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Spike23 said:
to us, KOF "3-D" has and always will suck...........no matter how fun it might possibly be. imho, if i want a good 3-D fighter, i'll stick to the original Soul Calibur or Tekken or some shit. for 2-D, give me my fucking old school KOF, motherfuckers.
Well the thing for me is I can't stand Sould Calibur or Tekken but I liked MI (with the sound off, anyway). MI felt more like a 2D fighter with 3D graphics than a real 3D fighter, IMO.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
well, if they fix a few of the things that annoyed me to tears in MI then they could call it Turd '06 and I'll buy it.

Needs a genuine arcade mode, option for Jpn voices and I'll be pleased.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Damn, and I thought it would be about KOFXI port with few extras :annoyed:

as long as it doesn't affect the 2D series in Japan, I have no problem with the move.

MI1 was a good mix of 2D and 3D (gameplay wise). of course, not for competitve purposes, but merely for fun. But the game's theme/environment and the new characters were pretty much meh.

YO-YO-Boy said:
blackguy-yo u got dat madden?:spock:

lamestop employee-no but we got that kof06!;)

blackguy-oh snap let me hit dat!

thats so what happened at the SNKUSA brainstorming meeting!:chimp:

Agree's 100%

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
O. Yashiro said:
they could have kept the Maximum Impact 2 title and it wouldnt have changed anything.
Domino-chan said:
I don't see why SNKP wouldn't go with the regular title when it's released over here.
kanakura said:
O. Yashiro said:
And I dont think the title of the game had anything to do with that. You can rearrange the name of a game all you want but calling it "isht 20xx" doesnt change what we all know it was....SHIT. Just my opinion.
To play devil's advocate for SNK USA for a moment... I remember a thread here that indicated that the sales figures for U.S. KOF:MI blew the figures for U.S. KOF'02/'03 (or was it '00/'01?) right out of the water (effectively proving what has often been stated here: the mainstream gamer will buy a pretty 3D game over a somewhat-graphically-date (in their opinion) 2D game nearly every time). That being said, U.S. KOF:MI sales were still no great shakes compared to the sales figures for the latest installments of other 3D fighting franchises. It's likely that SNK USA figured that gamers are less likely to buy a sequel to a game they generally disliked if the title of the sequel tells them straight out that it is a sequel to that game. Replacing MI with 2006 might keep a few folks from remembering the first MI, and it might also get a few folks who enjoyed the old yearly series to give it a look based on the year in the title. Not that this is a move that's likely to cause a big upsurge in sales, but if they think it has a shot at improving initial sales even slightly, they're gonna go for it. CAPCOM USA did the same thing with the U.S. release of Star Gladiator 2 -- since the first SG didn't go over so well in the U.S., CAPCOM USA released SG2: Nightmare of Bilstein under the title "Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein" (figuring that sales would be better if they went with a title that minimized the number of folks that would realize it was a sequel to a game that had poor sales).

--Chris

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
This is the beginning of the end for the KOF franchise.

GAMEFAN

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Why the hell would SNK name Maximum Impact 2 "King of Fighters 2006"? They must not have a clue, and when SNK doesn't have a clue, that makes me a saaaad panda. :( Hopefully it won't suck too bad.