mvs 4 slot

Neo a_bomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Im planning on getting a four slot and upgrading my cab. Im not too sure that it will come with a BIOS. Would it be warranted and or necessary to purchase and have it installed? I looked at the BIOS home page and saw a few things that made it seem worth while. With a four slot board will it be super easy to install? Maybe im thinking about it too much but I thought Id see what everyone says. With this upgrade I plan on making the best of my cab.

Let me know....

a_bomb

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Are you implying that you would like to run a Neo without any type of BIOS? :spock:

Neo a_bomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
not exactly ..... There are a few places I can get a mother board from and the one guy said something about having a Japanese BIOS installed if I wanted. B\c it comes with a US one right now. But I have no idea what model it is. Should I keep the one that comes with it , or upgrade to one from RAZOOLA? The other places I have no clue which BIOS comes with it(maybe Jap) is there a difference?

a_bomb

Neo a_bomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So I should buy one from Razoola s web site then? or just send mine to him?

Thanks for the help!

a_bomb

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Neo a_bomb said:
So I should buy one from Razoola s web site then? or just send mine to him?

That depends on whether the stock bios is an eprom or a mask rom. If it's a mask rom (as it's mostly the case) it can't be erased and reprogrammed, if it's a bios it can. The very early MVS boards came with an eprom bios for instance. If it's an older model 4-slot it'll probably have an eprom so you could send it to Raz.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
MKL said:
That depends on whether the stock bios is an eprom or a mask rom. If it's a mask rom (as it's mostly the case) it can't be erased and reprogrammed, if it's a bios it can. The very early MVS boards came with an eprom bios for instance. If it's an older model 4-slot it'll probably have an eprom so you could send it to Raz.

I don't see why it's worth sending it to him even if it is an eprom.

Raz only does the cheaper upgrades if you bought a current revision of his BIOS and want it updating, so it would cost the same whether you send it in or not.

May as well keep the original US/JPN BIOS and have it as a spare.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I don't know if Raz charges the same if one provides himself the chip. In theory he should charge less since he's saving the cost of an eprom. Anyway my point is that you can only send the stock bios to raz for reprogramming if it is an eprom but this is mostly not the case (the guy here seemed to imply that using the stock bios chip was always an option).

Last edited:

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
As if the price difference would mean anything. Eproms are dirt cheap and he's mostly charging for for time and labor.