Bootleg?

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Has anyone ever seen a bootleg KOF 99? I just got mine today and it is in a see through yellow case. I can see 2 wires on the board going to a chip with a window in it. Is this normal for this game?

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
A picture would be helpful, but remember to cover those eeprom windows.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Indeed. A quick cover up could save you some problems.

Sounds a bit bootiful though....

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
2 wires going to a windowed ROM, bootleg.
Are there other chips with MX on them?

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
lachlan said:
Are there other chips with MX on them?

And that is why a picture would help out :tickled:

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
lachlan said:

Not necessarily.

Fatal Fury 3 MVS has a wire on it and many other carts including Gururin and Power Spikes 2 have capacitors connected to a chip on the board.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
Your kof '99 should look like this if it's legit (251 [NGM] stamped on each chip, btw there're other revisions with different Neo-SMA chip, other with 4 EPs for Program ROMs and one without Neo-SMA but P1 and P2 stamped 151-P1 and 151-P2[instead of 251]) :

kof99a3qc.jpg

kof99b7sg.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Superfamifreak said:
Not necessarily.

Fatal Fury 3 MVS has a wire on it and many other carts including Gururin and Power Spikes 2 have capacitors connected to a chip on the board.

But he's talking about KOF'99.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
But he's talking about KOF'99.

But the basic point of my post was that just because there are EPROM's and wires on the cart, that doesn't make it a boot.

zer010gic

Kabuki Klasher
Superfamifreak said:
But the basic point of my post was that just because there are EPROM's and wires on the cart, that doesn't make it a boot.

You are very correct. There is always Bust-a-Move. It has EPROMS as well.

Corey

nagrom

New Challenger
Does MX chips means boot ?
Cause my motw cart seems to have at least one (i've don't opened it, but
i can see one through the openings of the cart)...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Superfamifreak said:

I'm referring to the wires, I know some carts have EPROMS and are legit, like my kof2k3.

nagrom said:

Usually a cartridge with MX chips means you've got a bootleg, just to be sure though, open the cart to look for other one's.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
nagrom said:

It shouldn't have any MX Flash... if your MotW is legit it should look like this (like kof '99, there 're revisions of MotW with 4 EPs for Program ROMs) :

garoualt1bv.jpg

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Mutation said:
Your kof '99 should look like this if it's legit (251 [NGM] stamped on each chip, btw there're other revisions with different Neo-SMA chip, other with 4 EPs for Program ROMs and one without Neo-SMA but P1 and P2 stamped 151-P1 and 151-P2[instead of 251]) :

kof99a3qc.jpg

kof99b7sg.jpg

My game looks identical to this except there is 1 additional chip on the top board in the 7th space. This is the chip with the 2 wires going to it. The 2 wires are coming from the chip right next to it. The chip does not have a window but the entire chip is covered in a clear plastic. Possible repair job or boot? BTW, my game plays fine but if you watch the into when it goes to high scores teh game resets itself, but this does not happen during game play.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
Are your progtop NEO-MVS PROGLBA (or PROGBK1 for the revision without Neo-SMA) and chassis NEO-MVS CHAFIO as on the screens ? If it's not, this means it's a conversion. But if it's, it may be a repaired stuff (the 2 wires going to the chip look weird).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If it's a repair job then why would they add another chip to the board? wouldn't they just replace the chip that went bad?

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
I have seen an authentic Last Blade with labeled eproms in P1, P2, EP1 and EP2 simultaneously while the rest were stamped 100% original stamped mask roms. Everything machine soldered, everything 100% authentic. Hey, it's SNK. "SNK" and "make sense" aren't really synonyms. They may have had smaller eproms in stock or something. Or two small eproms may have been cheaper than one big maybe. As long as the game works, there is nothing to worry about.

ninja maestro

World Soccer '96
People are very quick to assume 'boot' just because they see eproms and wires, that metal slug boot thread is a class example. Check out this MOTW, its official, but im sure someone will show up just to state the contrary:rolleyes: .

DSC03427.jpg

Last edited:

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah, I hear you man. The one in your pic is, as you say, 100% legit beyond any doubt at all. This is probably a similar repair job as my Last Blade was. Mine didn't have a wire as yours has but in this case that wire holds no significance at all whether the cart is legit or not. This one is legit, period.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
ninja maestro said:

This MotW 's legit, it's a revision with 4 EPs (for P's), there's a wire next to 253-EP4.
I opened a revision with 4 EPs of MotW to see the diff, I also noticed there's a white mark on Neo-SMA chip which doesn't allow to read the revision of this chip (K_ [KE on Neo-SMA for MotW revision with 2 P's stamped 253-P1 and 253-P2]).

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
ninja maestro said:
People are very quick to assume 'boot' just because they see eproms and wires, that metal slug boot thread is a class example.

What Metal Slug boot thread are you referring to? Not this, I hope, because that IS a bootleg and YOU were wrong.:)

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Mutation said:
Are your progtop NEO-MVS PROGLBA (or PROGBK1 for the revision without Neo-SMA) and chassis NEO-MVS CHAFIO as on the screens ? If it's not, this means it's a conversion. But if it's, it may be a repaired stuff (the 2 wires going to the chip look weird).

All chips and both green board are identical (even the dates on the boards). The only difference is the extra chip.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
crujones4life said:
All chips and both green board are identical (even the dates on the boards). The only difference is the extra chip.

Does it have 4 EPs for P's (251-EP1 to 251-EP4) ? Does it have bosses enabled (modif P1) ?

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Mutation said:
Does it have 4 EPs for P's (251-EP1 to 251-EP4) ? Does it have bosses enabled (modif P1) ?

No eproms. When I tried to select kyo-2 I got krizalid instead and when I tried to use him as a striker it did not work.