Using a PS1 as an encoder.

crashx99

n00b
Ok, I have a 2 slot, some games, controllers, a computer power supply, and all I need to get working last is an encoder so I can play games on TV. Now, I know the 1001 models of the ps1 use the 1645 chip that encodes the ps1 RGB into the proper signals. I know a bit about electronics, but from the people I talk to, I'm getting rather conflicting advice about how to use the ps1 for the job. I really don't want to take the ps1 apart though. I want to keep it intact, so I don't have to do any work with powering it, or desoldering too much. I assume that' it's just all about connecting 4 different wires to the chip. Do I have to worry about the voltage from the jamma harness blowing up the chip? Do i need to add resistors, capacitors. etc, before I attach them to the chip?

Thanks everyone!

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
If you're interested in building your own encoder, I will have a Do-It-Yourself kit available by the end of the week.

The kit includes everything needed to build the encoder board. I will be offering it with the option of with or without the AD encoder chip since you can get a free sample from AD ;)

Jeff

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Currently, $20 for the kit without the AD724JR chip, $27 with the AD chip. The price will adjust slightly depending on what I pay when I order the AD chip in bulk.

If you need details on getting the AD724JR chip (you can get two free samples), go to :

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,AD724,00.html

Scroll down and add two samples of AD724JR to your cart. :) They will send them to you free of charge. Did I mention they were free samples? If not, then, well, they are free.

The DIY Kit without the AD chip will contain all the supporting components and PCB that you will need, the SVideo and Composite video jacks, and 6" input/output wiring harnesses.

The PCB will be in by the end of the week and I will be putting the step-by-step instructions together this weekend.

I'm taking pre-orders for the DIY kit and pre-assembled boards. Drop me a line at jmkurtz@columbus.rr.com for more info/details, or to add your name to the list.

Jeff

Last edited: