Neo Geo Monitor Questions please help :)

mighty-neo

n00b
hello!
i am the proud new owner of a neo geo 2 slot arcade cab!! :chimp: ....but it has a couple slight issues and i was hoping someone might have some suggestions on how to fix it...

(i dont know if it matters....but it is a 4 slot cab converted into a 2 slot cab, 25" monitor)

1)sometimes when i turn it on, the monitor won't turn on...or the monitor will power down very quickly.....Everything else will run (the game, the audio) but the monitor will be totally off. The monitor will stay off until i change the games, or just switch their slots....it doesn't seem to matter what games are in it....or what games i change into it... *i can expect the monitor to turn on with no issues about 50% of the time.

also, on the left side of the monitor....theres a slight darkened waveyness...accompanied by a squiggly line that runs from top to bottom....the line is very light and constantly moving....its hard to explain but its very fluid...like cigarette smoke rising from an ashe tray... (this is not as bad as it sounds....but its still annoying!)

2) the headphone jacks don't work! and yes i checked the volume levels :).

i'm mainly a gamer so i'm a technical newb. Any info would help! thanks a ton everyone!
_mighty neo

J69

Hardened Shock Trooper
looks like your monitors on the way out mate!

mighty-neo

n00b
darn, that's what i was afraid of!

Any 2nd opinions?

If my monitor is indeed going out, can someone tell me why they think that, and what may be happening technically?

The game has a 3 month warranty.... so if i can get some facts i can present my case and possibly get a new monitor.

thlayli

n00b
The wavy line is most likey due to the caps or the flyback. Hopefully it's just a capacitor problem as a flyback is a bit more expensive to replace. These both are fairly standard replaceable part on arcade monitors, however the process of changing them is sort of dangerous. You may want to check with your local repair people to see if they can assist you with the swap. Don't know who to call? That's an easy one to solve. Call up your local arcade or an arcade near by and ask them who they call when something breaks. Chances are they'll say they do their own repairs, but just ask them... who do you call when you can't fix it? I've found arcade repair techs in every city I've lived in with this method. If for some reason you have no luck with the local arcades, however, try a local tv repair shop. Most will do on-site repairs, and it will probably cost you around $60-100 for the job, but it's safer than discharging a monitor and doing the repair yourself if you aren't sure what you are doing (as the charge the monitor holds is very deadly if not properly discharged).

mighty-neo

n00b
Thanks!

I know this subject is old but it turned out that 90% of th caps were dead and there was cracks in the sawter (sp?) luckily it was under warranty, a cap kit and some sawter fixed it right up !

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
For future reference: solder, not sawter. (It is _pronounced_ sawter, though.)

But at least you're smart enough to know when you don't know how to spell a word, so props to you. And enjoy your new cab!

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Grounding the monitor ground to the mobo pcb may help with the wavy lines.

Possibly a dry joint (poor solder connection) causing the intermittent power up.