Metal Slug 6 preview from Arcadia Monthly (issue #70 - March 2006)

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Looks like it could have been done on the Neo-Geo.

Funny old thing, that. :blow_top:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Gummy Bear said:
Looks like it could have been done on the Neo-Geo.

Funny old thing, that. :blow_top:

And without shitty loading times, assuming it does have'em. :oh_no:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
SNKJorge said:
And without shitty loading times, assuming it does have'em. :oh_no:

It had loading on the 1 I & Joe played, the screen would just stop for a bit with no enemies on it & you would just have to wait about 10 seconds, at first we thought it had crashed, but the relised :lolz:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Good god please let there not be load times.
game looks promising i'll say that. one or two of the screens/bg's look a bit bland but others look great.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
RGP said:
It had loading on the 1 I & Joe played, the screen would just stop for a bit with no enemies on it & you would just have to wait about 10 seconds, at first we thought it had crashed, but the relised :lolz:

This is wierd. :spock:

I know the AW is essentially a Dreamcast, but doesn't it use ROM cartridges?
Why the loading times?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Gummy Bear said:

Why the loading times?

Not enough memory to handle teh 2D sprites?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I think the loading has something to do with the encryptation. Remember this is what prevents it of being bootlegged and emulated, other than that there's no reason for not continuing using MVS. You know if this was a MVS game it would be bootlegged the same day of release.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
SNKJorge said:
Not enough memory to handle teh 2D sprites?

Was never a problem before.

A true cart system has little use for RAM in that way.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Amano Jacu said:
I think the loading has something to do with the encryptation. Remember this is what prevents it of being bootlegged and emulated, other than that there's no reason for not continuing using MVS. You know if this was a MVS game it would be bootlegged the same day of release.

I suppose you're right....

Damn those dirty bootleggers! Damn them I say!! :blow_top:

If it weren't for them the Neo would have been eternal.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Cool, should be nice. Looks like I should get on top of 4&5 and really try to work at them as hard as I did for MS3. That way, they'll be in a similar play condition when 6 comes home. Looking forward to it.

Then again, me avoiding a Metal Slug game is like me knowingly avoiding a Dungeon Crawler. It can't be done. Well, with the exception of a really bad port, where I had an alternative version of the same game, to get.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:

I'm curious then, why does there seem to be similar loading times on the PS2 ports for NGBC and SST? There's no need for encryption on those.

I'm led to believe that they're just compressed, and the loading times are to uncompress specific files that are used in a level.

it290

Not so MEGA, eh?
^^ That would be my theory as well. AFAIK decryption is normally done on bootup or sometimes in realtime. The Atomiswave has a decent amount of memory (unlike older cart based systems), so maybe they're using slower ROMs to save on cart costs.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Fygee said:
I'm curious then, why does there seem to be similar loading times on the PS2 ports for NGBC and SST? There's no need for encryption on those.

I'm led to believe that they're just compressed, and the loading times are to uncompress specific files that are used in a level.

Loading times are to be expected on PS2.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Amano Jacu said:
I think the loading has something to do with the encryptation.

Always wanted to know the reason why SFA2 on the Snes had loading times, to stop the hackers, did it work? :smirk:

SSS

neo retired
Timorous Scott said:
so maybe this is a stupid question...but any chance of this coming to mvs?

I'm sure excellentcom could hook you up.

RGP said:
Always wanted to know the reason why SFA2 on the Snes had loading times, to stop the hackers, did it work? :smirk:

Actually it had more to do with uncompressing the graphics (using a custom chip), SFA2 have only 32MB in ROM but Capcom compressed a lot of the graphics so they can puy more info in there, uncompressing data when needed. BTW it worked a charm against hackers and the such because i´ve never seen a copy, and i live in a paradise for the piracy :)

BTW i have the game and i like it a lot!

Last edited:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
SpongeBobSNK said:
Actually it had more to do with uncompressing the graphics (using a custom chip), SFA2 have only 32MB in ROM but Capcom compressed a lot of the graphics so they can puy more info in there, uncompressing data when needed. BTW it worked a charm against hackers and the such because i´ve never seen a copy, and i live in a paradise for the piracy :)

BTW i have the game and i like it a lot!

Didn't work that well as its being emulated ages ago & I'm sure I had it on my wild card all those years back too, thing is this kind of thing should not be on newer shit like AW :emb:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
it was just a data decompression chip on the snes alpha2 , nothing more.

capcom used a couple chips in megaman x too which they didn't use again, for transparency etc.

check the wikipedia entry

# DSP-1 chip: This fixed-point Digital Signal Processor chip was created to allow programmers to generate more enhanced Mode 7 rotation and scaling effects in their games, and to perform very fast vector-based calculations. The chip can be found most notably in Pilotwings and Super Mario Kart, as well as a few other games. Later revisions of the chip, the 1A and 1B, were functionally the same but included bugfixes in their internal math calculations.
# DSP-2 chip: A bitmap scaling and bitplane conversion chip used only in one game cartridge, Atari's port of Dungeon Master to the SNES console.
# DSP-3 chip: An assistant chip used only in one Japanese game for the Super Famicom titled SD Gundam GX. Although this chip does handle graphics decompression and bitplane conversion, a large portion of memory inside this chip is dedicated to rendering a very complicated title screen, leading one to the likely conclusion that its inclusion was more intended to prevent the game from being easily pirated.
# DSP-4 chip: A DSP used in only one game cartridge, Top Gear 3000. It primarily helped out with drawing the race track, especially during the times that the track branched into multiple paths, which was a unique feature of this type of game at the time.
# S-DD1 chip : Other than its normal processing and copy protection duties, this chip was primarily a memory compression chip. This allowed games to be bigger than normal by compressing the data. Games that used this chip were Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Star Ocean.
# C4 chip: A chip created by Capcom. This chip was used to handle the wireframe effects, perform more general trigonometric calculations, and to help out with sprite positioning and rotation. The chip was used in Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3.
# SA-1 chip: This is an ASIC chipset with a 65c816 8/16-bit processor core, clocked at 10MHz, containing some extra circuitry specified by Nintendo, including some fast RAM, a memory mapper, DMA, several programmable timers, and the region lockout chip. The SA-1 was a multipurpose chip that allowed games such as Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and Super Mario RPG, as well as the Super Game Boy to stay competitive in the changing marketplace during the aging SNES/SFC's final years.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Gummy Bear said:

Why the loading times?

I'll NEVER play an arcade game that needs to load between action

playmore, please tell me what you were thinking?

seems they just want to rubbish their name in whatever way possible really,

whatever name that is , of course.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
kernow said:
I'll NEVER play an arcade game that needs to load between action

I know what you mean.
Waiting for an arcade cab to load is fundamentally wrong.