HELP !!! My cabinet (1 slot MVS) stopped working...

FCP4EVA

n00b
I've had this cabinet (with a 1 slot MVS mother board) for some time now and it's always been working great.

Today, when I turned it on... nothing.
I get no video or sound :(
I know that the power supply is working because the board's led is on, as well as the light behind the header and also I hear the "pop" sound when turning it on.

So I think that the board is the issue.
What could it be? all I get it a black screen.

HELP ME PLEASE

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
FCP4EVA said:
I've had this cabinet (with a 1 slot MVS mother board) for some time now and it's always been working great.

I know that the power supply is working because the board's led is on, as well as the light behind the header and also I hear the "pop" sound when turning it on.

HELP ME PLEASE

Do you have another jamma board to test the cabinent? If you get no sound or video it would seem your problems is with the mvs board because if the monitor went bad you would still have sound and vice versa. I would advise you confirming the power supply still works with a multimeter by measuring the voltage output to be sure its operating properly.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
FCP4EVA said:

HELP ME PLEASE

A black screen with no sound or etc sounds like a power supply issue. Even if the power supply is giving off enough to light the board LEDs and etc, it doesn't mean the board is getting adequate power. Pull out a multimeter and taking a reading from the jamma edge of both the +5 and the +12 and see if you're getting a good flow to the edge. Also, check to see if all wiring is ok on the JAMMA edge... It probably is, but there is a possibility a wire came loose or etc, so check that out and just make sure... removing the harness and cleaning the JAMMA edge with some contact cleaner or 50/50 alcohol and water solution wouldn't hurt either.

If everything checks out OK there, then it may be the board... I'd check power first, however.

FCP4EVA

n00b
I just plugged another Jamma board to it and it worked great, sound and video perfect.

So it's defenitely the board :(

What should I look for on it?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
FCP4EVA said:
I just plugged another Jamma board to it and it worked great, sound and video perfect.

So it's defenitely the board :(

What should I look for on it?

This is where it leaves my realm completely... there are some great board techs here though... and you can also try PMing Nightmare Tony as well.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Just a few ideas-

Check that the jamma/mvs edge connect is not toasty or dirty.

Has the battery leaked and caused corrosion.

Try gently twisting the board whilst powered up, if it boots up it would indicate there may be a broken trace or dry joint on the board.

If it has a socketed bios, remove and reinsert.

FCP4EVA

n00b
ttooddddyy said:
Just a few ideas-

Check that the jamma/mvs edge connect is not toasty or dirty.

Has the battery leaked and caused corrosion.

Try gently twisting the board whilst powered up, if it boots up it would indicate there may be a broken trace or dry joint on the board.

If it has a socketed bios, remove and reinsert.

I tried all that:
-> Cleaned the jamma connector
-> battery is intact
-> Removed Bios and reinstalled it
-> Tried to gently twist the board

And still nothing...

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
FCP4EVA said:
I tried all that:
-> Cleaned the jamma connector
-> battery is intact
-> Removed Bios and reinstalled it
-> Tried to gently twist the board

And still nothing...

When was the last time you know it to work properly, how long ago. I suspect a power surge or some outside force you are not aware of. I never know a MVS board to stop cold turkey it should at least boot up with a error message or something. Examine the board really closely and make sure no pins of any IC have lifted, sometimes over time this happens.

FCP4EVA

n00b
I play on my cab pretty much daily (or every 2 days) and it's never done this.

also, where can I find the IC pins?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
FCP4EVA said:
I play on my cab pretty much daily (or every 2 days) and it's never done this.

also, where can I find the IC pins?

You can't identify the IC on the board, the IC are the black thing all over the board that have silver legs (pins) sticking out of them. You want to look at all of these IC and make that all of the legs are still in contact with the board. What model is your 1 slot?

FCP4EVA

n00b
It's an MV1 Board.
I didn't see anything wrong with the chips on the board...

I plugged the board in without a cartidge and I get the crosshatch screen.
It does display something at least... Does this mean anything?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Well,

If you plugged it in and you get a crosshatch screen then you should do the following:

Clean the cartridge edge connector very well... maybe even take the cartridge apart & clean the edge connector with a pencil eraser and then with q-tips and alcohol... Reassemble & test...

Try another cartridge...

Take a flashlight & magnifying glass and make sure there isn't any corrosion on the contacts inside the cartridge slots... and also make sure there isn't any little slivers of wire down inside the slot that is shorting things out.

RJ