Windy Cabs Monitor Flicker

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
So I got this Konami Windy cab about 6 months ago and haven't been able to use it because whenever I hit a push button/joystick the monitor flickers. It's really teh suck to have a cab sitting there I can't use. So, to anyone who knows anything about monitors or what's causing my problem, help is much appreciated.

Also, I can provide a short movie of what it looks like in action if it would help anyone out.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Please do...

Does the monitor flicker when you knock on the side of the cabinet? If it does then it probably just has a cracked solder joint somewhere.

If it doesn't, does the game reset if you hold the button down? Maybe you have a short in the wiring harness causing the flickering...

I had a monitor I just restored and it was giving fits with some shaking side to side... turned out to simply be a dirty horiz. freq. control.

RJ

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
Please do...

Does the monitor flicker when you knock on the side of the cabinet? If it does then it probably just has a cracked solder joint somewhere.

If it doesn't, does the game reset if you hold the button down? Maybe you have a short in the wiring harness causing the flickering...

I had a monitor I just restored and it was giving fits with some shaking side to side... turned out to simply be a dirty horiz. freq. control.

RJ

Yes a knock to the side will do it too, hit it just about anywhere and it flickers.

The game can be played but it's rather annoying when it keeps happening, that's why it's only been run for about a half an hour since I got it, and that was spent trying to figure out the problem.

Forgot to mention but I've got schematics and a manual for the cab too.

I'll try and take a small video with my sony digicam and post it in a bit.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Sounds like cracked solder joints on the monitor boards...

Discharge the high voltage on the monitor, unplug all the connectors (high voltage leads, DAG ground, AC power, RGB/H/V cables, yoke connector, degaussing coil, and any other connector.) and remove the boards from the cabinet - even the one on the back of the picture tube. Take 'em outside & blow 'em off with compressed air or a can of "air" then take 'em back inside and look at the solder joints for cracks.

If you aren't sure how to discharge the picture tube just take a long flat bladed screwdriver and a wire with aligator clips at both ends. Clip one to the monitor chassis - any metal point - and the other to the screwdriver. Slide the screwdriver under the big rubber cap on the side of the tube. You may hear a little crackle or snap sound. That is the high voltage discharging. Wait 5 minutes and repeat. Then you can slide the screwdriver up under there and use it to push the little metal clips together so you can remove that high voltage wire.

If the yoke connector is hard to remove you may have to rock it back & forth longways to remove it. The little board on the back of the picture tube may have some type of silcone holding it on. You'll need a razor knife to cut through it so you can remove the board.

You'll typically find that all the connectors and the flyback transformer (high voltage transformer) will have cracked solder joints. Fix those and that should take care of the flickering.

Use a flashlight and look around the rest of the board for any cracked solder joints. They'll look like they have a "ring" surrounding the pin that is sticking through the board.

It's not hard to do this kind of stuff. Just make sure you put the wires back correctly. Most of them will have a mark or an offset pin for pin 1.

Good luck!

RJ

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Before Playing with the monitor, I would check all connections leading up to the monitor.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
Sounds like cracked solder joints on the monitor boards...

Discharge the high voltage on the monitor, unplug all the connectors (high voltage leads, DAG ground, AC power, RGB/H/V cables, yoke connector, degaussing coil, and any other connector.) and remove the boards from the cabinet - even the one on the back of the picture tube. Take 'em outside & blow 'em off with compressed air or a can of "air" then take 'em back inside and look at the solder joints for cracks.

If you aren't sure how to discharge the picture tube just take a long flat bladed screwdriver and a wire with aligator clips at both ends. Clip one to the monitor chassis - any metal point - and the other to the screwdriver. Slide the screwdriver under the big rubber cap on the side of the tube. You may hear a little crackle or snap sound. That is the high voltage discharging. Wait 5 minutes and repeat. Then you can slide the screwdriver up under there and use it to push the little metal clips together so you can remove that high voltage wire.

If the yoke connector is hard to remove you may have to rock it back & forth longways to remove it. The little board on the back of the picture tube may have some type of silcone holding it on. You'll need a razor knife to cut through it so you can remove the board.

You'll typically find that all the connectors and the flyback transformer (high voltage transformer) will have cracked solder joints. Fix those and that should take care of the flickering.

Use a flashlight and look around the rest of the board for any cracked solder joints. They'll look like they have a "ring" surrounding the pin that is sticking through the board.

It's not hard to do this kind of stuff. Just make sure you put the wires back correctly. Most of them will have a mark or an offset pin for pin 1.

Good luck!

RJ

Got called into work so I couldn't get the vid of the monitor up, I'll try and get it up soon if you still need it though.

I am deathly afraid of the back of the monitor and that red high voltage suction cup thing. Just how safe is something like this for someone who's never done it before?

I'm going to try what norton suggested first and hope it's not the monitor its self but chances are it probably is and I'll probably have a couple more question about the monitor discharge and what not before I atempt this. I do take great attention to detail but at the same time I've never had any experiance with this sort of thing and don't want to get bit and die.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It won't kill you. It feels like getting hit by a spark plug. If you discharge the tube twice like I mentioned, you'll be fine. Just be careful to not break the neck of the tube by accident.

Working on monitors isn't too hard - just a little nerve racking the first time. ;)

RJ

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Nice to know, and thanks again for all the help. I'll either send you a PM or revive this thread when I'm ready to take the plunge and dig into the monitor.